Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your own worldview impact on the music that you listen to?

I'm not a prude but I have altered lyrics to songs that I enjoy but would not be comfortable performing in public. I also don't sing songs with what I consider to be a negative message...thought provoking ok, negative not ok for me. I don't really give a hoot about an artist's lifestyle choices or political opinions, outside the content of their song. I'm pretty conservative and from what I see and hear, I think that a lot of artists do not share my views and values. And that's ok. If I only played music by artist that I admired personally (on all levels), I'd have a very small music library. That said, if a musician, actor, or company for that matter, is in my face with an offensive view then I certainly won't support them.
    Last edited by bunnyf; 04-17-2017 at 06:49 PM.

I hear music - either I like it or I don't.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Hi, thanks for all the replies

To draw some general conclusions - it seems that folks are more likely to have issues with songs that have 'problematic' content rather than with artists. There seems to be a consensus that artist and music should ideally be considered separately. However, this is sometimes easier said than done - and the 'in your face' factor seems to come into play here. If, for example, someone is known to have done something pretty despicable in relatively recent times then it's harder to filter that out of your appreciation of their work.
    I'd like to be under the sea...

Quote Originally Posted by bikemech View Post
    Often I realize how trivial, banal, or outright stupid many of those lyrics are and I have to ask myself, "Do I really want to pursue this any farther?"
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    I also don't sing songs with what I consider to be a negative message...thought provoking ok, negative not ok for me.
    So, maybe a little bit of edginess is desirable? Otherwise all you're left with is bland, disposable crap?
    Last edited by jollyboy; 04-18-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    I'd like to be under the sea...

Quote Originally Posted by jollyboy View Post
    So, maybe a little bit of edginess is desirable? Otherwise all your left with is bland, disposable crap?
    Maybe. Let me relate lyrics to poetry. My poetry tends toward a lyrical and rhythmic style; I often want to engage the reader through story-telling, humor, shock, unexpected turns of events, and the like. I think the lyrics of a song, because of the emotional effect of the musical accompaniment, can do very well without these types of devices and without deep meaning, introspection, avant-garde thought, etc. So, some lyrics can tend toward the banal and still succeed very well in the format of a song.

Why would those lyrics matter to a performer? How does that differ from poetry? When one experiences poetry, it's something that happens in the head through reading the words of the poet. Of course there are oral poetry presentations, but most poetry is experience by a person in the written form. The thoughts are never anything more than the thoughts of the poet. When one experiences a song, particularly in the context of hearing or singing the lyrics, one experiences that out loud with his own voice or through the voice of another. I think those are two entirely different means of relaying ideas and thought. For me, the added emotion involved with music and the singing of the lyrics of a song lends a more personal context to the experience.

Let me say it a different way. When I sing - the lyrics, the words, the thoughts become mine. And then I start asking the question, "Are these my thoughts? Do I really want to sing this song?"

In the end, it might be easier for some to sing the "bland disposable crap" than it would be to sing the song with "edgy" or "offensive", or overtly "political" lyrics. And though those songs may contain "bland disposable crap" lyrics, they are likely really good songs.

Interesting topic. Sorry for the incoherent rambling.
    Last edited by bikemech; 04-18-2017 at 06:31 AM. Reason: clarification

I often wonder whether the words are of utmost importance or is the tune?

I mostly play and sing folk music, and many of the words to my favorite tunes are really stupid and uninteresting. Quite a few don't even make much sense. Irish music is better, I think, but I don't usually sing much Irish stuff.

Being an English major, lyrics and poetry are important to me, but I'm also a music lover. I dunno . . .
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Thank the Lord for the memories about the good old days.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Stick to listening to instrumentals, then you'll have the best of both worlds.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Thread Information