Bond, Titebond

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Funny stuff

titebond.jpg

Yes, funny stuff but what exactly is Titebond? I like the stuff and use it exclusively but have never been able to figure out what the stuff actually is. A witches brew? Here is what Titebond says in its specification which is basically meaningless:

AAMA 808.3

AAMA 808.3 provides specifications and test methods for exterior perimeter sealing compounds for use with fenestration products. Products meeting the requirements of AAMA 808.3 pass testing for cracking, bond loss, staining, hardness, >90% cohesive failure, slump, stain migration, low temperature flexibility and water resistance.

Well thank you very much Mr. Bond. Further investigation leads to this:

Aliphatic resin emulsion (ARE), commonly referred to as "yellow glue" or "carpenter's glue", has a similar use profile and relative ultimate strength as PVA. The two glues differ in grip characteristics before initial set, with PVAs exhibiting more slip during assembly and yellow glue having more initial grip. Brands include Titebond and Lepage.

You know there is always one who is standing ready to burst the balloon. Yes Bob, I am talking to you. Can't you just enjoy the joke without pointing ou the unnecessary obvious? I don't care! Great stuff Beau. We love Titebond but I have a real task ahead which someone might have the answer to:

One of the Artists supplying us with artwork for the Artonaukulele project has done it on paper. Anyone got a good solution as to how to stick Japanese paper onto laquered wood? I'm thinking fish glue?

You know there is always one who is standing ready to burst the balloon. Yes Bob, I am talking to you. Can't you just enjoy the joke without pointing ou the unnecessary obvious? I don't care! Great stuff Beau. We love Titebond but I have a real task ahead which someone might have the answer to:

One of the Artists supplying us with artwork for the Artonaukulele project has done it on paper. Anyone got a good solution as to how to stick Japanese paper onto laquered wood? I'm thinking fish glue?

Find out if the art is water soluble. Get some test pieces from the artist using the same materials and inks/paints. I have done water soluble ink on paper in small amounts onto raw wood with CA glue.

With any luck you might be able to use the specialty decoupage glues.

Top Bottom