Just getting started with my Baritone Uk!

heyuke!

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm just getting started learning my baritone uke. I bought it from an old fella that I met one day and he gave me a couple of lessons with the uke tuned like a mandolin (GDAE).

I've since lost touch with him and am starting to wonder if it makes sense to learn to play baritone in the standard tuning, like the bottom four strings of the guitar as I understand.

What are your thoughts about this? Am I going to find more support to learn playing with the standard tuning that with the mando tuning? I'm already scouring the internet for books and am referring to mandolin books, but not sure that's my best choice. Should I start on a more traditional note before venturing off into mando land with this baritone uke?

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Depends on your goals. Do you already play mandolin - or uke - or guitar? That might affect where you want to go with the bari. I expect you'll find a lot more material geared towards DGBE tuning but like you say, mandolin resources should directly apply if you want to do GDAE.

Top Bottom