suggestion for NYLON soprano strings for GCEA tuning? (as opposed to ADF#B)

13down

Reaction score
Any suggestions for nylon strings, not fluorocarbon, that are good for GCEA tuning on a soprano?

I assume they're out there, but I recently bought the D'Addario variety, and found that they were a bit floppy, then I looked at the packaging and saw that they're made for ADF#B tuning. They sounded and felt totally cool with that tuning, but I didn't want to play my songs in ADF#B, I prefer GCEA.

I'm specifying nylon because I like the softer feel and softer sound of nylon. I figure there must be some nylon strings out there that are thick enough to be tuned GCEA without getting floppy, right?

Hate to be a homer, but most Soprano strings are pathetic and you should check us out. Not exactly all "nylon", but will give you all the advantages of that material and none of the problems.

Feel-wise, I think you might enjoy the Titanium soprano set by d'Addario. I like their feel and sound, just not the gauge. There are various brands that offer nylon sets, like Pyramid and GHS. No first hand experiences since I typically tune my sopranos in D (ADF#B) and prefer Aquila's dedicated D tuning set (33U).

Hate to be a homer, but most Soprano strings are pathetic and you should check us out. Not exactly all "nylon", but will give you all the advantages of that material and none of the problems.

13down, I would follow Dirk's advice. He has forgotten more about ukulele strings, than you and I will ever know.

Last edited:

I have used the Southcoast strings on tenor a number of years back, but have not used them yet on soprano. Could you elaborate on your thoughts on the advantages and perhaps which variety you recommend?

Last edited:
Here in the UK at least banjolele strings are often nylon, and readily available - D'Addario do some.

I had a similar problem ... "floppy" nylon strings on a soprano banjolele that tuned and played well in ADF#B.

I replaced them with Aquila "reds" set 90U, admittedly not "true nylon", but not fluorocarbon either ... problem solved :music:

Top Bottom