Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What we're up against

Default What we're up against

The title isn't dead serious. I'm not a pro builder and I can easily get enough material for my builds. But look at this vid from a Chinese guitar maker. The fact that the factory is in China is of less importance, it could be anywhere and still frighten me with draining the wood supplies and flooding the market at the other end.

That said, look at the machines! Gang drilling for side dots, applying brace glue in a cnc machine - I couldn't imagine stuff like that. And still some hand tools show up.

I almost felt sorry for them mis-spelling a three letter word at the very end.

Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

That was great Sven...I use one or two of those methods myself..But not as quick or in such volume...scary stuff
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

Phoar! One pass headstock shaping :O

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 22.55.38 .jpg

They must be very proud to be producing such generic objects in such a large volume.......just what the world needs......
    Always interesting to see factory methods though. Thanks for posting this.

Creating instruments with no soul.

Bob

Well after your introduction I thought I was going to see a machine doing everything and was surprised to see SO much handwork. They were shaping the neck heel by hand and I was a littler perturbed by how freeform they seemed to be in gluing on the fretboard. There may be errors there.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    They must be very proud to be producing such generic objects in such a large volume.......just what the world needs.......
    Inexpensive, mass-produced musical instruments of a presumably good quality that was previously unheard of, is a good thing for the world. It means more people have access to better instruments. The quality of products out of China has really increased in recent years.

I don't see it as a danger for custom builders. You guys make instruments that meet a client's exact desire. Works of art often. There's little overlap. Custom ukes have gotten more expensive, so while a grand may no longer buy a luthier-built instrument with some extras, it will now buy a very well built high-end Chinese uke. And $200 probably now buy much better quality factory ukes than just a few years ago.

Everyone seems to win.
    Current main players: Moon Bird concert and Barron River tenor. My other ukes are listed on my profile page.

I almost felt sorry for them mis-spelling a three letter word at the very end.

Almost but not quite. That video is seriously disturbing, especially seeing those hundreds of guitars traveling on the conveyor.
    If people would quit buying this stuff they'd go away
    My Real name is Terry Harris

We can only hope they sound poorly. Otherwise we are in trouble.

I just came up from my shop, trying to decide on which binding machine to build or purchase. Then I saw this video, and think how Ribbecke, Dooling, Fleishman, LMI and SM binding machines don't have near the automation shown in this video.

Then I thought, "doesn't matter," that's not what my hobby for. In fact, my hobby doesn't even have to have a salable product. It's my own personal mountain, and I may never reach the top. ...and I don't care. But I do care that the company in this video sells mediocre instruments, which may drive some of the market away from custom luthiers who are in it for their livelihood.

They still can't or don't produce a Ken/beau/Pete and others here, quality instrument. There will be market room for those.
    Trent

Thread Information