What we're up against

And you should be proud.

As a group though, luthiers are pretty hand work avoidant. Lots of jigs and production tricks. It's hard to really honestly sell hand work from most shops. Is buffing a spray job hand work? I'm sure it does qualify. It is certainly the sainted workmanship of risk. Building two piece, without hand bending, with forms, and using radial dishes, etc... Just compound the use of non-hand methods, and build in a production mentality. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I don't know where you get the idea that luthiers are 'hand work avoidant'. I'd say that the vast majority of violin makers shy away from power tools, absolute minimal use. Steel string guitar makers tend to employ a fair amount of power tools whereas classical guitar makers seem to be split between those who are largely hand tool and those who are 'tooled up'. There aren't many that are totally hand tool but there are a large number who just use one or two power tools. The only power tool that I use is a bandsaw and quite frankly that sees very, very little work. I use my approach simply because I don't really care for power tools. I don't like using them. The odd thing is that there are makers who employ a lot of power tools, are obviously much more productive but charge a lot more than makers who are all hand tool.

After reading the recent comments and I've had a chance to think a little bit more about it I'm going to back down from my earlier comment a little bit. I think it's a matter of where you're coming from and what your objective is in pursuing your craft. While I revere the "honest handcraft" that I mentioned earlier I also marvel at some of the automated processes shown in this video. Some years ago I was blown away when I saw how Taylor bent their sides and especially by their robotic buffing machines. And yes, if I had the opportunity, the money, and the intention to do so I wouldn't mind adopted some of those time consuming practices. Watching an efficient industrial production line at work can be a beautiful and impressive thing, perhaps even as much as watching an artist pursue his craft with hands tools alone.

There are two TV shows here in the US that I am fond of. One is "How It's Made" where they bring you inside a factory and show you how cardboard boxes or plastic resin chairs are made. Fascinating stuff. The other show I like is "Handcrafted America" where they might show a lone hand-craftsman building a rocking chair with bow saws, spoke shaves and files. I learn from both shows.

But here is where I'll borrow Pete's caveat and note that this my own opinion and may be mine alone. Personally, I do feel that the more automated tools and processes that are used, the more it separates the soul and character of the maker from the finished piece. From the industrial engineer or businessman's point of view this probably isn't important. From the artist's perspective, it's paramount. From a consumer's point of view these things may or may not matter. It's never been my intention to make a lot more of anything or to make it faster or to even make it perfect for that matter. There is "honesty" and beauty in all forms of creation depending upon who you are and what your objective is. Whether I have 10 or 1,000 ukes left in me I just want to express my creativity as honestly as I can, in sync with who I am, in the instruments I build. What this means will be different for everyone.

But really, what was the American flag decal about? ;)

Wow. Beautifully stated. :cheers:

And this has been one of the more interesting threads to read in a while. It's nice to reminded that everyone is looking at the world through their own lens.

No idea on that flag decal.

After reading the recent comments and I've had a chance to think a little bit more about it I'm going to back down from my earlier comment a little bit. I think it's a matter of where you're coming from and what your objective is in pursuing your craft. While I revere the "honest handcraft" that I mentioned earlier I also marvel at some of the automated processes shown in this video. Some years ago I was blown away when I saw how Taylor bent their sides and especially by their robotic buffing machines. And yes, if I had the opportunity, the money, and the intention to do so I wouldn't mind adopted some of those time consuming practices. Watching an efficient industrial production line at work can be a beautiful and impressive thing, perhaps even as much as watching an artist pursue his craft with hands tools alone.

There are two TV shows here in the US that I am fond of. One is "How It's Made" where they bring you inside a factory and show you how cardboard boxes or plastic resin chairs are made. Fascinating stuff. The other show I like is "Handcrafted America" where they might show a lone hand-craftsman building a rocking chair with bow saws, spoke shaves and files. I learn from both shows.

But here is where I'll borrow Pete's caveat and note that this my own opinion and may be mine alone. Personally, I do feel that the more automated tools and processes that are used, the more it separates the soul and character of the maker from the finished piece. From the industrial engineer or businessman's point of view this probably isn't important. From the artist's perspective, it's paramount. From a consumer's point of view these things may or may not matter. It's never been my intention to make a lot more of anything or to make it faster or to even make it perfect for that matter. There is "honesty" and beauty in all forms of creation depending upon who you are and what your objective is. Whether I have 10 or 1,000 ukes left in me I just want to express my creativity as honestly as I can, in sync with who I am, in the instruments I build. What this means will be different for everyone.

Last edited:
I struggle a bit with the terms "honest" and "honesty" in this discussion. Wouldn't "traditional" be less troublesome?

I struggle a bit with the terms "honest" and "honesty" in this discussion. Wouldn't "traditional" be less troublesome?

You're correct. "Honest" might be a poor choice of words and I regret having used that in my earlier post. "Honest to the creator or builder" might put it in a better context and that naturally will differ amongst all of us. I have a problem with the word "tradition". I respect it but I'm not married to it. I guess what this entire thread reinforces in me is something Ive said a thousand times; there's room for everybody and each of us has to find a way that is true to who we are. If my goal in life was to work on an assembly line and be the best at my job then there is certainly honesty (Being true to one' self) and respect in doing that.

Last edited:
The flag decall gave me an idea ....I think all UK builders should put a First Class Royal Mail stamp alongside the label in the sound hole...just to remind the world where we live.

The flag decall gave me an idea ....I think all UK builders should put a First Class Royal Mail stamp alongside the label in the sound hole...just to remind the world where we live.

That's a brilliant idea. Seriously , my next instrument will have an NZ stamp on the label.

Don't worry Pete. Nobody is going to flame you... The way I see it is that what we have here is a "time is money" situation. Labor is cost. If that extra labor makes a better sounding, better looking instrument, so be it. Where the Achilles heal of the handmade, boutique instrument is in consistency. Say what you will about the automated production line, but you have to admit it is consistent in kicking out the product. So to compete, the handmade luthier has to produce a consistently good product and that is where professional luthier skills come in. Do it great by hand over and over and over again. Sure I might make a great sounding and great looking uke, but can I do it over and over again consistently? Frankly the answer is no. Each one if different and frankly, some are better than others. But I'm an artist and not a production facility.

... Gang drilling is certainly not second rate, compared to jigs, or hand work. Nice machine for sanding dished backs. ...
I loved the gang drilling. As I wrote (or think I wrote) I was a bit shaken by the amount of raw materials going into a giant load of guitars that, to me, look as if they aren't exactly infused with an individual artist's love and care. The way I like my instruments, the ones I buy and the ones I make. That said I love a good factory vid.

I'm trying to remember the name of the show that dedicated two episodes to showing how Lynn Dudenbostel built a mandolin. Fascinating stuff, but even Lynn uses a duplicarver for the initial top carving.

Edit to add: The show was called Handmade Music

Top Bottom