New Case Day

Strumdaddy

Reaction score
Does anyone get excited about cases out there.?
I just received my dream case for a Martin tenor. It's an Ohana brand that I got from Mim's Ukes.
I always imagined my Martin nestled in green, with a brown "alligator" exterior. It can be a bit difficult realising your uke visions down here in Australia, but here it is.
If Al Capone played uke, he'd have a case like this (much more stylish than that violin case he sported)
Much respect and gratitude to Mim, who went above and beyond to sort out a bit of a mix up and made sure I achieved my green dream.
Thanks, Possum

WP_20170305_001.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you got the perfect case, and that Mim was so helpful.

Looks like a beautiful case.

Your Martin looks very happy...

Yeah - it even sounds better!!
I've done comparison tests between this case and one that is black-on-black generic, and have scientifically proven that a vintage uke sounds 37% better in a gorgeous, kind-of-old-style case than in anything else*
Maybe it's because I feel really good every time I take it out. It feels like the "whole package"
* laboratory results. May not be achievable in domestic settings

Classy looking case! I've been looking at these, too. Glad to know you're happy with it. Didn't realize that Mim was carrying them.

Vintage ukes deserve a lovely home. And you deserve a happy vintage uke!

Enjoy your happy uke!

I agree. Cases are important to me as well. I like for my ukes to have a home that is worthy of them.

Nice job on your dream case and kudos to Mim for making it happen.

Nice to know there are some case lovers out there.
You don't actually play the case - but it forms part of the ritual for me....

Beautiful! I love snazzy uke cases, too!

Congrats! I agree with the consensus here that a nice vintage Uke deserves proper (hardshell) protection. The replacement chipboard case that my otherwise near mint '60s Martin S-0 came with was not good enough, so I searched for a proper soft plush lined hardshell triple latch and lockable soprano case and was glad to find one in my local shop that was well-made and reasonably priced (under $50$). IIRC, it is made by Gator.

One of my favorite cases (gig bags) though came from Mike @ Uke Republic when I purchased my Ohana CK-38. It is the Ohana brand "double gig bag" that is well padded, holds 2 Ukuleles in separate opposite double-zippered Uke compartments with a separate zippered storage compartment, a Robust carry handle, and padded backpack straps. I've kept my CK38 and Mainland Concert Uke in it with great results. But now that Inhave a Ohana Long Neck Soprano on the way, I will keep that in the Ohana bag and will have to find a new bag for the Mainland uke.

IMG_1833.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing how threads can motivate you to do something. After making my last post, I decided to take a drive up the road to my local music shop to see what concert sized cases in-stock. At first all I could find was a clearance box of those flimsy no-name super thin plain black gig bags that fifer little to no padding, but after walking back further into their acoustic room I found they had 2 UkeCrazy cases, one in soprano size and one in concert size. I have owned UkeCrazy cases before and generally liked them for what you get for the $$. The common complaint is you typically need to just put a polishing cloth around the lower bout to fill up the extra interior space, but it does have a Velcro strap that cinched up around the neck near where it meets the body. So I bought the concert size for the Mainland Uke. The Mainland Concert Uke actually fills the space quite nicely.

It was $39.99 + tax or about $42 and change out the door. Now when the newly purchased Ohana SK-30M arrives it has an open compartment available for it in the Ohana double bag.

IMG_1834.JPG

I had always ASSumed that those Uke-Crazy cases were built sturdier, like many viola or violin cases of that streamlined, straight-edged shape that I've owned and prefer. They're even described in many places as "hard-shell" (?) but I got my recently purchased tenor uke from the Marketplace in one, and am disappointed, as it's just an extremely lightweight, flimsy-feeling cloth covered hard foam case that serves well as a dust cover, but which I'd never trust to put in an airline overhead cabinet, let alone chance having to put in cargo. (Obviously I do like the uke very much, as I'm already envisioning taking it with me on travels!)

I really, really wish someone made cases of this shape, though (rather than the ubiquitous instrument-shaped cases that have less room inside) from plywood hardshell - or even thermoplastic or ABS, for that matter - like the violin/viola ones I've had. And I like the added feature of a cloth cover with zippers on top of the hardshell, too. But I ordered a ubiquiitous instrument-shaped real hardcase for my uke anyhow, just because it's plywood. It's also black on black, but that's at least the color scheme I actually prefer. ;)

I don't have an emotional attachment to cases, but do want them to be functional and protective. ;)

bratsche

Last edited:
I like the UkeCrazy cases not because they are a replacement for a bonified hard shell case, rather because they are priced at the same level of most gig bags and offer better protection than the majority of soft gig bags out there. I would never rely on one for air travel, for example. But going to and from local Uke jams and storage at home they work well.

All good points that I'm not disputing, I just lament the fact that there are no actual hard cases (that I know of) that are the same shape as the Uke-Crazy ones. That's what I'd want, if there were.

bratsche

Top Bottom