Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machining a body on the cnc

Default Machining a body on the cnc

I build my ukes a bit different. I machine my tops and bottoms on the cnc leaving the kerfling as part of the top and base. Then I attach the sides.

Here is a video of a top being machined out. This was from a live broadcast on Facebook so you will hear me responding to questions.

Interesting but you will have a lot of short grain sections and end grain glue joints that would not be a strong as traditional kerfing strips. Is that a bridge plate you have left proud? If yes then again this should be cross grained with the top for strength. Cheers, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Orr View Post
    Interesting but you will have a lot of short grain sections and end grain glue joints that would not be a strong as traditional kerfing strips. Is that a bridge plate you have left proud? If yes then again this should be cross grained with the top for strength. Cheers, Bob
    Bob, thanks for your comments. The sides provide the cross grain support. And the bridge gets a thin strip over it. So far after about 80 of them I'm not running into any issues. Hope I'm right.

Pete

CNCs are cool, but wow seems wasteful. You could have built half-dozen uke tops out of that slab.
    Rodney Paul Adams

Rodney, I understand where you are coming from. For me it is a tradeoff between labor and materials. 1 1/3 bf at 6.40 a bd ft. Lets say 10.00. Unless you have a thin kerf saw (which I don't) capable of a 16TH inch cut and cutting the wood 1/16th thick you may get 6 pieces. But lets say you can. Each piece would then cost 1.67 plus processing time. then you would need to take another piece for the kerfing to buy or make. Very doable. Just doesn't work for me.
    Lot's of ways to do things. I have been self employed as a woodworker for over 30 years. To lazy to get a real job i guess. (Insert smiley here) I love building ukes but it is just part of my business and as such needs to pay it's way.

Now if I was using premium woods that were quite expensive the numbers would change. Then your method would make total sense. Black walnut is the most spendy wood I use at this point. My customers keep coming back for more so I am happy.

Again, thanks for your suggestions. Still learning.

Making a lot of nice sawdust.
    Michael Smith
    Goat Rock Ukulele
    www.goatrockukulele.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza Pete View Post
    For me it is a tradeoff between labor and materials.
    I get it BP, and thanks for a thoughtful response. I think I said it because I don't really think of anything as plentiful these days. And certainly high-tech can have a way of leaning towards waste. Disposable everything.. But, I still want a CNC !
    Rodney Paul Adams

Quote Originally Posted by RPA_Ukuleles View Post
    But, I still want a CNC !
    Rodney, go for it. I built mine, a 5 x 10 table, in 28 days. You would find lots of use for it.

Next thing I need to invest in is a 3D program so I can carve necks.

You and Ken are making me really want a CNC router. Must Resist!!

Quote Originally Posted by ksquine View Post
    You and Ken are making me really want a CNC router. Must Resist!!
    Resistance is futile.
    Check out mechmate.com and build your own.

Thread Information