Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly little thing...

Default Silly little thing...

I know I'm probably being really anal and OCD, but I have a niggling little pinprick of varnish or something about an inch down from the bridge. You can't physically see it, but when I run my finger or thumb over it I can feel it. I'm starting to fixate on it, which is just me being stupid. My question is, do I gently rub the area with a polishing cloth, or could anyone recommend a really gentle wood polish. It's no way near a fine sandpaper job, as I say you can't see it. It's just a pinprick or flaw. It's a Kala tenor with a satin Finish. Like I said, I'm just being really OCD, but hey ho :-) Many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fuzzbass (Steve 45)

Rob Collins Tin Guitar Sapele Soprano
    Kala Mahogany U Bass
    Kala KA-STE-C Tenor
    Noah Monkeypod Electro Concert

Scratch it off with your finger nail(?).
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & baritone.

Tried, not budging :-)
    Fuzzbass (Steve 45)

Kala Mahogany U Bass
    Kala KA-STE-C Tenor

The most isolated land mass in the biggest ocean on Earth: Big Island

OCD is only a problem for those who don't have it ... for the rest of us it's normal!

Seriously though ... try sticking a single piece of tape over the problem then filing/sanding the protrusion through the tape. A single cut will probably be enough, then remove the tape and see what it feels like ... repeat as necessary. The tape is there to protect the surrounding finish, so spread it as wide as you feel necessary and work slowly.

Good luck
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Personally I wouldn't bother. You say you can't see it (confirmed by your photo) and you won't be anywhere near it when you are playing - it's not as if it is on the back of the neck where you would feel it .

However, if you want to remove it try Micromesh, often used by violin makers. There are a lot of reviews on Amazon but it is cheaper to get it from Axminster in the first link.
    Latecomer to uke but loving it! Baton Rouge U108S soprano, Kiwaya KS-5 soprano, Uluru II concert low G, Barnes & Mullins banjolele UBJ2.

Thanks all, I know I'm being stupid, but stupid is as stupid does :-)
    Fuzzbass (Steve 45)

Kala Mahogany U Bass
    Kala KA-STE-C Tenor

Having recommended Micromesh I realise you could probably do it easily with one of these:

6938294652435_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

1.50 from my local Asda - I've just been doing my nails! 16cm long. One side is marked 'smooth' and is a very fine abrasive, while the other is marked 'shine' and feels smooth, but does a beautiful job shining up the nails. The advantage from your point of view is that stick is reasonably stiff so that you can keep it flat, yet being foam backed it won't dig in. If necessary you could take out any last dulling with a little Silvo liquid metal polish.
    Latecomer to uke but loving it! Baton Rouge U108S soprano, Kiwaya KS-5 soprano, Uluru II concert low G, Barnes & Mullins banjolele UBJ2.

I guess trying a hammer is out. Try putting a piece of masking tape on either side of it and scrape it off with a new razor blade, using the tape to keep to keep the blade off the soundboard.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

And, yes. It is unnecessarily picky. Leave it.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Thread Information