Silly little thing...

Fuzzbass

Reaction score
I know I'm probably being really anal and OCD, but I have a niggling little pinprick of varnish or something about an inch down from the bridge. You can't physically see it, but when I run my finger or thumb over it I can feel it. I'm starting to fixate on it, which is just me being stupid. My question is, do I gently rub the area with a polishing cloth, or could anyone recommend a really gentle wood polish. It's no way near a fine sandpaper job, as I say you can't see it. It's just a pinprick or flaw. It's a Kala tenor with a satin Finish. Like I said, I'm just being really OCD, but hey ho :) Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 34
OCD is only a problem for those who don't have it ... for the rest of us it's normal!

Seriously though ... try sticking a single piece of tape over the problem then filing/sanding the protrusion through the tape. A single cut will probably be enough, then remove the tape and see what it feels like ... repeat as necessary. The tape is there to protect the surrounding finish, so spread it as wide as you feel necessary and work slowly.

Good luck :)

Personally I wouldn't bother. You say you can't see it (confirmed by your photo) and you won't be anywhere near it when you are playing - it's not as if it is on the back of the neck where you would feel it .

However, if you want to remove it try Micromesh, often used by violin makers. There are a lot of reviews on Amazon but it is cheaper to get it from Axminster in the first link.

Having recommended Micromesh I realise you could probably do it easily with one of these:

6938294652435_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

£1.50 from my local Asda - I've just been doing my nails! 16cm long. One side is marked 'smooth' and is a very fine abrasive, while the other is marked 'shine' and feels smooth, but does a beautiful job shining up the nails. The advantage from your point of view is that stick is reasonably stiff so that you can keep it flat, yet being foam backed it won't dig in. If necessary you could take out any last dulling with a little Silvo liquid metal polish.

I guess trying a hammer is out. Try putting a piece of masking tape on either side of it and scrape it off with a new razor blade, using the tape to keep to keep the blade off the soundboard.

You may rub it out, but may also end up with a spot that is more or less shiny than the rest of the finish....been there, done that.

Top Bottom