who builds all-Koa ukes?

merlin666

Reaction score
I recently had the chance to play an Ko'aloha soprano uke with a koa fretboard and I liked that better than rosewood or ebony. Also, when I look at pictures of vintage Kamaka and other Hawaiian-made ukes, some seem to be all Koa including the neck and fretboard. Are there still any manufacturers or other uke-makers that build traditional all-koa ukes (or at least have a koa fretboard)?

What made you prefer the koa fretboard? I have a Kamaka soprano with koa fretboard, it's soft and shows signs of wear quickly. I've also seen vintage Kamaka ukuleles with really worn out koa fretboards (finger indentions).

I have a 2015 KoAloha that is all Koa, however I know they have gone away from that. I don't know of any company that makes all Koa ukes anymore, however, I am sure you could contact a luthier and they might make one to your specifications. The 16" Ono I just had made has an all Koa body and neck. I went with ebony for the fretboard, but the beauty of having a custom built is that you can get it made to your specifications.

Doesn't Ohana have an all koa retro model?

Top Bottom