Caramel CC102A Concert Ukulele - REVIEW

Baz, I just wonder why you print the text of review and then in the video don't start plying the Uke until you've 'read' the whole review all over again? Can't you start the Vid with a 'My Dog Has Fleas' and a few chords while talking? It would make the videos a lot more informative than just talking for five minutes and giving 40 seconds of music. Or am I so old school that I'm reading the review before I watch the video? :eek:ld:

I'm not sure what Barry will say, but I know the videos started long after his site...the text of the review is supposed to be the focus of the review. But as he recently said elsewhere...readers of the blog ask for the videos.

However, that is really good feedback for my own videos...something I will attempt to do in the future!

Baz, I just wonder why you print the text of review and then in the video don't start plying the Uke until you've 'read' the whole review all over again? Can't you start the Vid with a 'My Dog Has Fleas' and a few chords while talking? It would make the videos a lot more informative than just talking for five minutes and giving 40 seconds of music. Or am I so old school that I'm reading the review before I watch the video? :eek:ld:

What Choirguy says. My focus is on the written review. The videos are NOT just 'reading out the review' - they are just done off the bat, unrehearsed. I actually dont like doing them, but readers asked for them as some people dont want to read. The video is intended to be an alternative.

But thanks... (2.5 million video plays and counting... ;-) )

What Choirguy says. My focus is on the written review. The videos are NOT just 'reading out the review' - they are just done off the bat, unrehearsed. I actually dont like doing them, but readers asked for them as some people dont want to read. The video is intended to be an alternative.

But thanks... (2.5 million video plays and counting... ;-) )

I like the written reviews but appreciate the video for the sound of the uke in question. I was just commenting on the use of the medium as a few chords during the discussion would add interest and allow you to demonstrate some different chord/notes that aren't in the songs you generally play.

Keep up the good work!

They would - what I determined though is that some people dont even visit the written reviews - so i did them to come across 'like' the written versions, so they'd get the same information.

I read the reviews and watch the videos, too. I'm not even in the market for an ukulele as I have far too many already. There are many reasons for reviews, only one of which is to make a determination about purchasing an item. Reviews contribute to the ukulele culture. Something that interests me consistently and profoundly. I always appreciate Barry's thoughtful reviews in both formats. The pros and cons, as well as the scoring, are great ways to consolidate the information. On the other hand, there is much to be said for Barry's delivery in the videos and what he expresses non-verbally.

I read the reviews and watch the videos, too. I'm not even in the market for an ukulele as I have far too many already. There are many reasons for reviews, only one of which is to make a determination about purchasing an item. Reviews contribute to the ukulele culture. Something that interests me consistently and profoundly. I always appreciate Barry's thoughtful reviews in both formats. The pros and cons, as well as the scoring, are great ways to consolidate the information. On the other hand, there is much to be said for Barry's delivery in the videos and what he expresses non-verbally.

I could not agree more with this^ and likely could not have said it better myself. :)

On the other hand, there is much to be said for Barry's delivery in the videos and what he expresses non-verbally.

You're talking about the faces I pull aren't you? It's the faces... isn't it?

LOL

Seriously - that's why I said above that they are not scripted and off the bat. They are the last thing I do. I spend a week writing and tweaking the written thing, getting some photos then deliberarately do the video 'last minute' and without a plan. I hope what you are seeing comes across as genuine, because it really is!

I enjoy watching the videos AND reading the reports. Sometimes I'm where I can't make noise.
I've watched a few other people "review" ukes, and it seems that they tend to show us what they don't know about ukes.
Baz KNOWS ukuleles.
Lots of times I just watch for entertainment, Baz is very entertaining.
Naw, it's not the faces, whatever gave ya that idea?

ha haaa... Will try to look more serious next time..

They would - what I determined though is that some people dont even visit the written reviews - so i did them to come across 'like' the written versions, so they'd get the same information.

Yeah good plan but still.. Play a bit more to utilize extra dimension of Video. You genuine interest in Ukes is apparent, and engaging, but spread the music out it's what the Uke is for.

You're talking about the faces I pull aren't you? It's the faces... isn't it?

LOL

Seriously - that's why I said above that they are not scripted and off the bat. They are the last thing I do. I spend a week writing and tweaking the written thing, getting some photos then deliberarately do the video 'last minute' and without a plan. I hope what you are seeing comes across as genuine, because it really is!

Ha! I'm not telling!!!

Yeah good plan but still.. Play a bit more to utilize extra dimension of Video. You genuine interest in Ukes is apparent, and engaging, but spread the music out it's what the Uke is for.

On the other hand, been doing them this way for years, have about 2 million watches and 8,000 subscribers, so must be doing something right!

On the other hand, been doing them this way for years, have about 2 million watches and 8,000 subscribers, so must be doing something right!

Yes, plus the fact that you have seen and played a lot more ukuleles than most and so have a depth of experience with ukulele quality that brings credence to your opinions. Please keep "telling the truth" as you see it.

Yes, plus the fact that you have seen and played a lot more ukuleles than most and so have a depth of experience with ukulele quality that brings credence to your opinions. Please keep "telling the truth" as you see it.

Boom! :agree:

Aye. +1

Baz, the trust you have built with your audience, and your reputation for integrity are intertwined with the vast experience in a combination that I believe is wholly unique in all of the internet, and therefore very special.

Last edited:
Top Bottom