Caramel CC102A Concert Ukulele - REVIEW

Dooke - I don't personally give a damn if someone has played 50, 100, or 5,000 of these. The one I have in MY possession sounds terrible to MY ears.

What am I supposed to write? That I think it sounds terrible, but I am clearly mistaken as someone else thought 50 sounded good?

Again,by quoting Choirguy I am just providing evidence that the top is not caving in. Mivo asked me to back up my thoughts.

Last edited:
Just a final comment until this thread descends into the outright ridiculous like the Les Paul one did... and DESPITE me saying so in both the written review AND the video...

This is just one guys review of one particular instrument

If you have one and like it - great... I'm pleased.

Maybe I just got a bad one - fair enough..

I am not trying to challenge your own perception if you have one and like it.

ALL the reviews are about are MY opinions of the single one I have to hand. Seriously - don't worry about them. No amount of challenging me on them is going to change the fact that I PERSONALLY dont like the sound.

Fair enough. I already stated earlier that I am not challenging your opinion on the sound quality.

I get it, I get it. You like Caramel ukuleles.....

I like two of them. I certainly would feel differently if the top was caving in.

And if the top wasn't on mine - still think the sustain is terrible and the sound is incredibly one dimensional. Like I said - this is just one point you are focussing on. Let's assume you are right and that the drop on the fretboard is by design on a $40 ukulele (an idea I find incredibly unlikely at this budget, but for the sake of argument, let's assume it is)... then I still don't like the tone and lack of sustain.

What am I supposed to write? That I think it sounds terrible, but I am clearly mistaken as someone else thought 50 sounded good?

If I am the one being talked about (50 sounded good), can I share my thoughts for the record? I am not sure Zebrawood itself lends itself to be as good of a tone wood as many other woods. So is it okay for me to say that from my opinion, the Caramel ukuleles we have don't sound bad but that at the same time I wouldn't say that they sound good as compared to other laminates, all that cost twice as much (or more?).

There are only two elements of Barry's review that are not representative of my own experiences:

1) The interiors of these ukuleles--particularly the newer ones--have become much more tidy and clean over the last year.
2) The review had me looking at every ukulele looking for tops that are caving in and structural integrity of the ukuleles. I don't see any.

All of Barry's other concerns and observations are fair (and even the prior observations are legitimate observations)...in short:

A) Low grade Zebrawood laminate that is perhaps thicker than they need to be
B) Unimpressed by the laser engraving
C) Unimpressed by the headstock design
D) Unknown wood for neck
E) Inexpensive (cheap) tuners--low quality (my observation after a year: they do the job) with plastic knobs ("frosted")
F) Chunky bracing
G) Bridge and Fretboard in need of oiling
H) Sharp fret ends (my observation: they are arriving in better shape, but as the instruments dry out, they expose again)
I) Good volume, poor sustain (my observation: likely the Zebrawood or bracing), generic sound
J) Intonation issues up the neck (needs a setup...nut is too high, saddle is too high)

I would add that in every case, the edges of the NUT are sharp.

Many of these later items aren't a concern for me...or I am willing to deal with them (e.g. fret ends exposing over time). But Barry is more than fair in saying that a beginner likely deserves a better ukulele and that he wouldn't recommend them. I will continue to recommend them, but I will certainly send people to Barry's post to get another opinion--one that might be better than mine.

So...I remain in this position that I support the brand and its price point...but I also support Barry. Is that even possible?

Can someone call the horse doctor?

but I also support Barry. Is that even possible?

I appreciate your comments greatly - but you don't need to support my reviews. I mean that in the nicest way - and hope it doesn't sound snippy or unappreciative. What I mean is - I don't write them to gain a gang of support - to do that would make them as impartial as if I was writing them for a pay cheque. Nor does it matter to me personally - I am not in the market for championing any particular brand. I am trying to downsize the collection not increase it!.

I write them to say exacly what I feel about the instrument I have in my hands. Nothing more. If people disagree, that's fine. If people agree, that's good too, but I don't mind either way as it won't make me change what i wrote.

What can be grating though is 7 pages of discussion which is basically me saying 'yeah, but, this is just a personal opinion'... Especially when the review went to the lengths of pointing that out as I have been here before. Yet, here we are again.

Last edited:
I'm curious what that means? Not a phrase that I have seen in the Midwest US.

He meant the horse undertaker. :p :)deadhorse:)

Dooke, thanks for the video!

Barry, I think it's a good idea to mention if you bought a test subject in a store/online like your readers do, or if it was sent to you by the manufacturer or a distributor (and is more likely to have been hand selected or set up). But I think you usually do this anyway. The Waterman I bought was just really bad, while yours was well intonated, but that is skeletal horse by now. :)

but I also support Barry. Is that even possible?

Yes, it is possible to disagree with and still support a friend. It is human nature. I sensed your reluctance to get involved further and tried to give bazmaz ample opportunity to exit gracefully. I apologize to you, Choirguy. I didn't want to put you on the spot.

Last edited:
Got it. From now on I will do my best not to support you! :)

lol - not really what I meant - was just making the point that I don't review to create a band of supporters - rather just to tell the truth!

tried to give bazmaz ample opportunity to exit gracefully.

Exit gracefully? From my OWN post? I am merely repeating the same thing every time - that I simply don't like the one I have!!! I have also asked multiple times how you think I should have written about it differently? Pretend I DID like it and lied?

Last edited:
Exit gracefully? From my OWN post? I am merely repeating the same thing every time - that I simply don't like the one I have!!! I have also asked multiple times how you think I should have written about it differently? Pretend I DID like it and lied?

We get it, we get it. You don't like the uke. That was NEVER in question. But there was a question that need to be addressed and I made my case. I think my case was pretty convincing but AGAIN, only time will tell. If I am wrong and these tops start caving in like coal mines, I will admit I was wrong. Fair enough?

There are often many conversations within a thread. Of course I wasn't suggesting you leave your own thread but you could have easily moved on from this part of the conversation. I tried...

Last edited:
Well no, it wasn't just that point though was it? - you also questioned things like intonation, the tuners, the finish, even the concept of people recommending good sellers...

but whatever..

Last edited:
He meant the horse undertaker. :p :)deadhorse:)

Dooke, thanks for the video!

Barry, I think it's a good idea to mention if you bought a test subject in a store/online like your readers do, or if it was sent to you by the manufacturer or a distributor (and is more likely to have been hand selected or set up). But I think you usually do this anyway. The Waterman I bought was just really bad, while yours was well intonated, but that is skeletal horse by now. :)

Your welcome, Mivo.

I agree this should be disclosed but I am not sure in this case there are any other options except direct from the manufacturer or through Amazon. Don't know for sure. Anyone?

Well no, it wasn't just that point though - you also questioned things like intonation, the tuners, the finish, even the concept of people recommending good sellers...

but whatever..

Here we go again...

I stand by all my remarks.

I must like danger, but I'll add that while poking around on Wish/Geek this morning, I saw hundreds of Caramel clones in soprano and sopranino sizes, and even Anuenue rabbits and bears. I didn't buy any, but I kind of wanted to. Cheap! Cute! Ukuleles!

Top Bottom