Season #271 Boardwalk Empire songs.

271-3

I thought I'd jump on the Whispering band wagon.
We did this tune all the time if not every time in the Dixieland band.

271????

I have been putting 191 this whole week. Ugh!

Senior moment to its fullest!

:eek:ld:

:uhoh:

The Varied Nations ? Did you say ?

It is worth noting that every man who has sung it so far has had to varying
degrees a beard, and none of the ladies who have sung it have sported any
beard at all, they have however compensated for their lack of beardedness
by singing extended verses of the song beside the chorus. Showoffs.

A CJ version must be on the cards which shows the ying tong dual nature of
humans, where the style morphs from the lazy and laid back, to a blistering
flailing crescendo of fan strokes which ends in the spontaneous combustion
of you banjolele. I think that is a show we all want to see.

Two entries in one week? The moonshine must'a made this boy just plain loco.. or it's his kind of season!

Going through the Tunefind list, this is the song that caught my eye at first, just because it's got a fantastic title. I didn't know the song at all. Then I looked it up and thought, hmmmm, maybe one for the ladies to sing and I thought it would have been picked up by now. Decided to do Big Bad Bill instead. But what was I thinking?!? It's 2017, I can sing this if I want to ;)
Ps, sorry it's not Whispering...

This "Whispering" thing is taking off a bit isn't it? Just when I thought I was getting to know it, along come more versions, with added verses, and different chords. Then I had to transpose it to fit my voice and my fingers. So I really don't know what I have ended up with - and of course, I have never heard an original version. That's jazz...(played on a 1930s Johnny Marvin uke, to add a bit of period realism)

And now, something completely different - well, breathless and tuneless "Whispering". :)

"Darktown Strutters Ball", Shelton Brooks, 1917.
This song was on the B side of the first Jazz record recoarded back in 1917. The Original Dixieland Jass Band recorded it with "Indiana" on the flip side. Jazz was originally considered dance music.

Dream a Little Dream of Me

I picked this one because it's on the list (somewhere) and I've tinkered with it before in various keys and tunings so I thought it would be relatively easy. Boy, was I wrong!? It seems whatever key or tuning I try this in there's some set of fiendishly difficult chords or transitions. So please forgive me if I look a bit fed up in this video; it's because I know I should do better, but I also know if I don't record something tonight then I'm unlikely to have the time later in the week.

Anyway (deep breath, calm now, yes really) here is a work-in-progress. Hopefully some future season will give me the opportunity to bring it to you with a smile on my face and a spring in my step.

Right, the rest of the evening is mine so I'm going to sit back and enjoy all your submissions for this season. Gina, I think you enjoyed playing this one more than I did! :D

In the 1924 published sheet music there are 27 different chords used in this song - kudos to you!

In case anyone is interested, they are: A7,A7b5,Adim,Am,Bb,Bbm6,C,C7,Cdim,Cm6,Db7,D,D7,Ddim,Dm,Dm6,Dm7,E,F,F6,F7,Fdim,Fmaj7,G7,G9b,Gdim,Gm7
in D tuning. I don't think you can get much more twisty than that!
Haha, thanks for that Jim! I've no idea how many of those chords are actually in the arrangement I used, but if anyone's interested, I used the kauairainbow site's version.... the link is on this page... I'll See You In My Dreams - and it is indeed the Joe Brown version in the concert for George (Harrison) that got me hooked on ukulele when I watched it back in 2005!

I would have to agree with you, given the amount of chord changes and the dexterity
required, I can safely say the barefootgypsy has officially been crowned Queen Twisty Twisty :)
I'm just catching up here and just saw this! Well I couldn't think of a nicer title if I tried, haha, thanks Rob! I do just love those twisty, twisty chords! Everyone finds some Seasons easier than others, and this one suits me down to the ground to be honest, because these old 20's and 30's songs I just love, and there are a lot of songs on the lists that I like... I'll try and do some more before I'm done. It's a great Season, Rob, thank you for it... it beats me how folk keep coming up with such creative new ideas! Long live the Seasons!

Tap dancing... now there is a show all by itself. How did you get into that?
I should imagine it is quite a vigorous form of exercise.
I have said it before and I will say it again, Ginger Rogers
was a better dancer than Fred Astaire since she did all the steps
backwards and in high heels
Sorry, it's me again.... must answer this! As a child I did ballet and tap until I was nine; then we moved house and Mum couldn't get me to classes any more so I had to stop - but I loved it. Never did any of this again until I retired - a local lady does tap classes to raise money for the Roy Castle charity, she was a personal friend of his - so for the last few years I've been tapping twice weekly and having huge fun! It's so light-hearted, and we dance to all the old songs... perfect! Gets the heart-rate up just nicely, it's wonderful! I adore Fred Astaire and his lady partners, pure magic!

seems like whispering is obligatory this season so here is a chord melody version played on my Yamaha gitarlele on the top four strings tuned in E like a baritone uke arranged by a great banjo player Donald F. Stevison.

Top Bottom