Season #271 Boardwalk Empire songs.

Love the theme Rob. The link for BWE vol. 2 Has a copywright strike against it. If this video has a playlist indicated could you post it to the thread please?

Tommy it works just fine for me, could it be a country thing.
The last link I put in there for TUNEFIND will give you all the songs from all the BE seasons.

Have never seen BWE, but play list looks good. Will try n find something off it to have a bash at.

Interesting theme. I'm not a fan of twisty chords :music:

I've one or two eyed up. I'll see how things go.

Last edited:
Interesting theme. I'm not a fan of twisty chords :music:

I've one or two eyed up. I'll see how things go.

Get the old curling tongs on the fingers and those diminish 7th will add a new dimension to your playing :)
Oh and don't forget to tell us a story about why you chose the song. Looking forward to hearing from you Geoff.

16 minutes in... Pa, where are you? .....

Season 271. Submission 1. “What’ll I Do” (Words and music by Irving Berlin, 1924).

From Season 3, Episode 12 (“Margate Sands”), 2012. It was sung by Sharon Van Etten and featured Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks.

Here’s something that may be of interest, Rob. A friend I’ve known since I was 12 was actually a teacher of Steve Buscemi, native Long Islander. Soon after his film “Trees Lounge” came out, he offered to return to his high school and host a benefit showing of the film for a scholarship fund dedicated to honor his acting teacher who had recently passed. Not only did I go to the showing, but after it was over, my friend, another friend and I were invited to go to the bar which was the real “Trees Lounge” when Steve was growing up. We were there with Steve for well over an hour, just talking. The other friend with us was my friend Tom (independent filmmaker). Steve said he’d love to see a film Tom had recently made. Tom mailed it to him and Steve very graciously wrote Tom after seeing it. Bottom line? A regular guy. The best kind of regular guy in the world.

And now here’s the song. I’ve always loved it and have long associated it with the 1974 Academy Award winning soundtrack for “The Great Gatsby,” starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.

Last edited:
From Boardwalk Empire, Season 3. The most popular version of this song was by Bing Crosby, although I prefer the Rosemary Clooney version.

Getting in early since I've missed loads of seasons! Sorry Rob, I clicked the collaborator option to add to playlist, but it just showed the playlist, so am putting here instead.

This is a cover of "All Alone" written by Irving Berlin - a friend of mine in America (a penpal if I can use that outmoded term) who I've never met, but who I bonded with over a shared taste in music, was very encouraging when I first started singing and playing uke. It was he who urged me to make a recording, then a video and only due to him did I get over my nerves of recording myself.

He bought himself an old piano and inside the lid was a lot of old sheet music books, including the one featured in the video below "Irving Berlin Songs arranged for the "uke" " - He was kind enough to send the book to me, and this particular song became a firm favourite and I've been meaning to record it for ages, so now was my opportunity! :)

Last edited:
Getting in early since I've missed loads of seasons! Sorry Rob, I clicked the collaborator option to add to playlist, but it just showed the playlist, so am putting here instead.

I check the collaborate link with my other YT account and it seemed to work.
At the top of the screen you get a blue box which says
Add to this playlist as youtube username
then you have to press continue and you should then be approved to add your video.

If anybody else has troubles let me know, cos I would like to get it working
cos then there will be less danger of me missing a video.

Great entry by the way.

This came from the series 1 playlist. It's done as an instrumental there.

I found this about the Darktown Ball. "The “Darktown Ball” was, in fact, a real event, but it did not start out as being for the higher classes. It was originated by the ladies of the evening in the Darktown area of Chicago. They decided to create the ball as their way of showing that, for at least 1 night per year, they were just as good as everyone else. It was by invitation only and, over time, became THE most sought after ticket. Even the Major of Chicago could not attend without an invitation."

First published in 1917, it's become a jazz standard that's been covered many times. I remember Joe Brown (with his Bruvvers) covered it in the early 60s and like most just sang the chorus. I've added one of the two verses but left out the other as I wanted to include an "instrumental" chorus.

Eww 'e wants a story ehh? Well I happened across a Sophie Tucker joke this weekend. This song was given to her in1909. She recorded it many times. It hit No. 1 in 1926.

Here's another
Shelton Brooks Song! Shelton Brooks was a composer composer of popular songs who wrote some of the biggest hits of the first third of the 20th century. His work was seminal to the Creation of Jazz.

Last edited:
Eww 'e wants a story ehh?

Is that there Yorkshire Tom me lad? Here's 't real Yorkshire joke for 't thee.

Yorkshire man takes his cat to the vet.
Yorkshireman: "Ayup, lad, I need to talk to thee about me cat."
Vet: "Is it a tom?"
Yorkshireman: "Nay, I've browt it with us."

This came from the series 1 playlist. It's done as an instrumental there.

Thanks for the history of the ball and also the intro.
You also win the cigar for being the first to use the
collaboration link and have added your own entry into
the playlist. I hope others follow suit since it takes
a weight off my shoulders worrying that I might miss someone.

This song is there somewhere because I looked at all the links and made a list this afternoon! I thought I'd start with this song as I've recently learned it properly, though it remains a tad hesitant in parts! And I'm a bit croaky. But never mind!

Top Bottom