Season #271 Boardwalk Empire songs.

Sorry no backstory! I've just come in from Tap-dancing and now to prepare for my uke lesson in the morning! Woohoo! Can't complain! What a super Season with twisty chords - I love 'em and that era of music! I've never heard of that series before but it looks good from the YouTube clips!

This is from Season Two, I think. Also, Leslie did a gorgeous version of this yesterday. I watched Boardwalk Empire when it first aired on HBO, but I missed the final season. I gotta check it out one of these days!

I learned this from the singing of Janet Taney, formerly of the Juggernaut String Band. Janet passed too early. From Season 1, episode 1.

Season 4, Episode 8. My grandfather used to whistle this all the time, I had to do it.

Ok here is Old Ship Of Zion. I almost got through the whole song before the little one came home from ball practice and photo bombed me. There are so many different lyrics to this song. I searched for the version most close to the one sung on the show. These are the the lyrics, as printed in the new National Baptist Hymnal with a few changes in brackets by me in the description on YT.

Sorry no backstory! I've just come in from Tap-dancing and now to prepare for my uke lesson in the morning! Woohoo! Can't complain! What a super Season with twisty chords - I love 'em and that era of music! I've never heard of that series before but it looks good from the YouTube clips!

Tap dancing... now there is a show all by itself. How did you get into that?
I should imagine it is quite a vigorous form of exercise.
I have said it before and I will say it again, Ginger Rogers
was a better dancer than Fred Astaire since she did all the steps
backwards and in high heels

Season 4, Episode 8. My grandfather used to whistle this all the time, I had to do it.

The King of Skiffle Lonnie Donegan used to perform this song, It had some silly jokes in it.
Given the dark nature of Boardwalk Empire it is rather incongruous that a novelty song like
this was included. In the UK the title was "Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost over night"
which is a give away, but "You never answered my question though" is more enigmatic and does little
to reveal the content of the song,

Ok here is Old Ship Of Zion. I almost got through the whole song before the little one came home from ball practice and photo bombed me. There are so many different lyrics to this song. I searched for the version most close to the one sung on the show. These are the the lyrics, as printed in the new National Baptist Hymnal with a few changes in brackets by me in the description on YT.

I once visited Boston and attended a shape note singing session... I even bought the Sacred Harp song book.
It has a long tradition going back to 1801. It was a wonderful experience. The singers line up on the four sides
of a square and anyone of the singers chooses a song and goes to the centre of the square to lead the singing.
Just imagine being bombarded from all sides by a wall of sound. Imagine quadrophonic sound in the 19th century.
I am told that Sacred Harp singing session could last for hours. Ahh the joys of not having TV or radio.
Have you heard of this Southern Baptist tradition?

Sacred Harp singers view their tradition as a participatory one, not a passive one.
Those who gather for a singing sing for themselves and for each other, and not for an audience.
This can be seen in several aspects of the tradition.

First, the seating arrangement (four parts in a square, facing each other) is clearly intended
for the singers, not for external listeners. Non-singers are always welcome to attend a singing,
but typically they sit among the singers in the back rows of the tenor section, rather than in
a designated separate audience location.

The leader, being equidistant from all sections, in principle hears the best sound.
The often intense sonic experience of standing in the center of the square is considered one
of the benefits of leading, and sometimes a guest will be invited as a courtesy to stand next
to the leader during a song.

Introduction to the Sacred Harp

Last edited:
Are ears erogenous zones??? Enquiring minds want to know.
Could this be this season theme song. Tommy has kindly
provided the chords in the description of his video.
Give it a peek and give it a go. You know you want to.

Last edited:
I once visited Boston and attended a shape note singing session... I even bought the Sacred Harp song book.
It has a long tradition going back to 1801. It was a wonderful experience. The singers line up on the four sides
of a square and anyone of the singers chooses a song and goes to the centre of the square to lead the singing.
Just imagine being bombarded from all sides by a wall of sound. Imagine quadrophonic sound in the 19th century.
I am told that Sacred Harp singing session could last for hours. Ahh the joys of not having TV or radio.
Have you heard of this Southern Baptist tradition?
By sheer coincidence, something just appeared on my Facebook feed, telling me about a Sacred Harp singing session which has started here in York. Tempting...

Greetings,

WOW! I am hooked - never saw the show (no HBO) but just the vid clips and music has me thinking I need to check out Netflix and grab the series. Found a song I think I can murder (ha ha) so will try later in the week.

:)

Greetings,

WOW! I am hooked - never saw the show (no HBO) but just the vid clips and music has me thinking I need to check out Netflix and grab the series. Found a song I think I can murder (ha ha) so will try later in the week.

:)

I saw what you did just there.
Indeed the show has Al Capone and a whole long list of Chicago
mobsters, and their feuds with Atlantic City. The whole series is about who controls bootleg liquor during prohibition.

Daughter Maitland - St Louis Blues. Pabrizzer beat me to this one too. His version is fabulous! Nothing compares to his style of play.

another Leon Redbone special and standard Jazz song no anecdotes

Greetings,

Complete with props and all! Have fun..ciao

Greetings,

I was able to add my vid to the list YEAH. I forgot to mention it was from one of the lists of Boardwalk songs - think it was number 3 but could be wrong.....

The King of Skiffle Lonnie Donegan used to perform this song, It had some silly jokes in it.
Given the dark nature of Boardwalk Empire it is rather incongruous that a novelty song like
this was included. In the UK the title was "Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost over night"
which is a give away, but "You never answered my question though" is more enigmatic and does little
to reveal the content of the song.

Funny Rob, that's the first version I found on YT, and the version whose lyrics I liked best of the others I found. I tried doing a joke, but couldn't pull it off live, so here it is...

How do you drive a baby buggy?

Tickle its feet!

:anyone:

That wasn't one of Donegan's (I don't think), but was used in the Muppet Jug Band version that aired on The Muppet Show.

Top Bottom