Season #271 Boardwalk Empire songs.

Another the old dixieland band did. That's why I'm playing it in Bb. With horns we played things in Bb, Eb and Ab. That's why I play barre and movable chords a lot.

Here is one I worked up yesterday and couldn't let go. I recorded in low light so you get to look at some pretty birds. I have changed a few derogatory words in this one. Another song Daughter Maitland sung.

Reaching the home straight

Well it has been an interesting and challenging season and very soon we will
be passing the baton on to the next season. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the
entries, and I have come to realise that the music from the 1920's was very
sophisticated and not at all simple to play or sing. Nevertheless the quality of
the entries has been exceptional.

I have decided to give away some prizes based on a novel random selection method.
So if you you want your name on the list you still have a day and a half to respond.
The season theme "Whispering" would be a quick and easy one to do.

In the meantime here is Terrance Winter discussing the casting for Boardwalk Empire.

Last edited:
I had such fun listening to Rex's cover of this that I decided to stop by his tent and do one myself!

I took the Sheik and put him in water and froze him- That slowed him right down.

This is a CeeJay Over Enthusiastic Mode Cock Up...I actually recorded this on the second day of the week and then had doubts and then , when I saw Pa's version of the "Prisoners Song " realised that I had saved myself from a monumental embarrassment by not posting. And then thought , hang on . That's what I do best .

So here is my version of the "Prisoners ...or Slaves Song " ...or at least that which I presumed it would have been....and which should have been in Boardwalk Empire somewhere....so here...put it on the Island.....Bollox. Tch.....it's nearly "Meet Me By the Moonlight " or as I call that ,the Prison Transfer Tooooon.............................sheesh.......Oh and I seriously get lost in the middle:mad:
!!

My offering for this season is an original that I think fits the style of the period being covered this week. I wanted to write a song that had a thirties feel, but whose lyrics were not subject to the censorship of the time. So many songs of the period are laden with innuendo and analogy (Dust my broom, Milkcow Blues, etc) and I wondered what a song of the period would have been like had the censor not existed, but at the same time I didn't want to stray into "F-ing and Blinding" territory, as my Dad would have said. The result is this song, that I hope you consider fulfils the spirit, if not the letter, of this week's rules. It is also a sad song about a guy reminiscing for a lost world, so it could go in Season 272, if you don't feel it is appropriate here.

Lyrics in Subtitles
Lyrics and Chords in the Description

My offering for this season is an original that I think fits the style of the period being covered this week. I wanted to write a song that had a thirties feel, but whose lyrics were not subject to the censorship of the time. So many songs of the period are laden with innuendo and analogy (Dust my broom, Milkcow Blues, etc) and I wondered what a song of the period would have been like had the censor not existed, but at the same time I didn't want to stray into "F-ing and Blinding" territory, as my Dad would have said. The result is this song, that I hope you consider fulfils the spirit, if not the letter, of this week's rules. It is also a sad song about a guy reminiscing for a lost world, so it could go in Season 272, if you don't feel it is appropriate here.

A season would not be a season without a Berni original. Excellent song to bring down the curtain on season 271
But tell me Berni how many hoods have you lifted to check the oil???

In 1932 this song was sung at the Democratic National Convention. I November of that year FDR was elected President of the United States. It took until December 5, 1933 to repeal Prohibition. When Roosevelt took office on March 4, 1933, he immediately addressed the effects of the depression. His main four priorities were to get Americans back to work, protect their savings and create prosperity, provide relief for the sick and elderly, and get industry and agriculture back on their feet. 15 major laws were enacted in Roosevelt's first 100 days. Today is the 100th day of Humpty Trumpties administration.Trump's major accomplishments which fulfilled a 100-Day pledge, was the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch as a Supreme Court justice. Period!

Well its a good song anyway!

Ah, great theme. Once I heard the lovely uke version of "Japanese Sandman" from the Boardwalk Empire soundtrack, I was pretty sure I had my song for the week. Then when I found a free download of the original sheet music, my choice was made. Boy, I love free sheet music :)

Pablo (pablocity) already did a terrific version of this one earlier in the week. Now here's one more...

Top Bottom