Season #271 Boardwalk Empire songs.

I had to do this one. I went to a friend's daughter's wedding in Belfast in 2006 (11 years ago - my how time flies :)) We visited Carrickfergus, it is a quiet little town with an impressive castle (which was shut as it was Sunday and out of season anyway). The last two pictures in the video are of a cameo of medieval life in the town painted on the end wall of a house. Across the square from the house was the community centre where the local quilters had their annual exhibition and we came back and visited a few days later. The rest of the photos are of Belfast and of the North Coast which we visited while we were there. Northern Ireland is gorgeous and I found the people very friendly. The good Friday agreement had not long been concluded and everyone was basically saying they'd had enough and just wanted to get on with their lives in peace. Here's Carrickfergus which came from the first series again. I just couldn't resist it. It's a lovely song anyway though a little overplayed.

Another song done by Daughter Maitland in the series.
Her version is kind of a condensed mixture of versions I could find.
I just found some same-ish lyrics and did my own similar but simpler arrangement.

Someone else will do this, and better than I did. But here you go. A tribute to Leon Redbone, who, sadly, has retired due to health concerns. A tip of the old straw hat to you.

Today's Yorkshire joke,

A Yorkshireman goes to a goldsmiths and asks,
"Can tha mek us a gold statue o'me whippet?"
The goldsmith says he can, then asks:
"Do you want it 18 carat?"
The man replies :
"Nay lad, chewin' a bone'll do fine."

Today's Yorkshire joke,

A Yorkshireman goes to a goldsmiths and asks,
"Can tha mek us a gold statue o'me whippet?"
The goldsmith says he can, then asks:
"Do you want it 18 carat?"
The man replies :
"Nay lad, chewin' a bone'll do fine."

FWIW I am appreciating these despite being a Lancashire lad by birth. :cheers:

This song is there somewhere because I looked at all the links and made a list this afternoon! I thought I'd start with this song as I've recently learned it properly, though it remains a tad hesitant in parts! And I'm a bit croaky. But never mind!

In the 1924 published sheet music there are 27 different chords used in this song - kudos to you!

In case anyone is interested, they are: A7,A7b5,Adim,Am,Bb,Bbm6,C,C7,Cdim,Cm6,Db7,D,D7,Ddim,Dm,Dm6,Dm7,E,F,F6,F7,Fdim,Fmaj7,G7,G9b,Gdim,Gm7
in D tuning. I don't think you can get much more twisty than that!

Hi Rob! From Season 3, Episode 5 of "Empire Boardwalk", I bring you "Ma, He's Making Eyes at Me!" (I have discovered that this is not the best song to sing when you are still in the process of losing your voice ... or, at least, not quite getting it back again; I hope I don't deafen anyone!)

Hi Rob! From Season 3, Episode 5 of "Empire Boardwalk", I bring you
"Ma, He's Making Eyes at Me!" (I have discovered that this is not the
best song to sing when you are still in the process of losing your voice ...
or, at least, not quite getting it back again; I hope I don't deafen anyone!)

What a great production, that split screen Daguerreotype Diptych was sheer genius,
and your entourage of sophisticated couples that accompanied the song, inexplicably
caused me to have a hankering for some black bottom. I dread to think what Mr Astaire
might have said about that. From your dress I must construe that you will be attending
our soirée later this evening?

In the 1924 published sheet music there are 27 different chords used in this song - kudos to you!

In case anyone is interested, they are: A7,A7b5,Adim,Am,Bb,Bbm6,C,C7,Cdim,Cm6,Db7,D,D7,Ddim,Dm,Dm6,Dm7,E,F,F6,F7,Fdim,Fmaj7,G7,G9b,Gdim,Gm7
in D tuning. I don't think you can get much more twisty than that!

I would have to agree with you, given the amount of chord changes and the dexterity
required, I can safely say the barefootgypsy has officially been crowned Queen Twisty Twisty :)

Not that twisty twisty but down the neck. I haven't seen boardwalk yet, am currently working through Pennies from Heaven and The Singing Detective. And I don't have a story either unless you wanted the backstory to my raffle won Ohana I play.

Never heard of broadwalk Empire but saw this one on the list and as a big fan of Leon Redbone had to do it.First performed by Emmett Miller and his Giorgia Crackers way Back.Sorry I cant Yodel

I can't remember which series this one is from now, 2 or 3 I think. I knew it initially from Ry Cooder's version.

I can't remember which series this one is from now, 2 or 3 I think. I knew it initially from Ry Cooder's version.

Smooth vocals... you get your own special Yorkshire joke.

Wrigley's chewing gum have now opened an online store where you can buy their products.
Just go to ebuygum.co.uk

I'll get me coat... Taxi.

Never heard of broadwalk Empire but saw this one on the list and as
a big fan of Leon Redbone had to do it.First performed by Emmett Miller
and his Giorgia Crackers way Back.Sorry I cant Yodel

I have searched the interwebs for the chords for this song but can't
find them anywhere. If you have them can you post them?

Smooth vocals... you get your own special Yorkshire joke.

Wrigley's chewing gum have now opened an online store where you can buy their products.
Just go to ebuygum.co.uk

I'll get me coat... Taxi.
Tha does know ahm not a reet proper Yorkshireman doesn't tha Rob?(Brummie in exile in fact) ;)

I seem to have missed out entirely on Boardwalk Empire, but as far as I can tell it was shown on Sky in the UK. As I try to avoid giving money to Rupert Murdoch, I haven't seen it. Anyway, this one was on the list.

Technical note - after using just a phone last week, and getting surprisingly good results, I have come back and adjusted a few settings on my usual mic & laptop. Clearer picture, louder sound (possibly too loud...).

Top Bottom