Wow, what a difference!

Nickie

Reaction score
I just got back my Duke banjolele from my luthier, Charlie Jirousek. He shaved off the excess from the back of the neck, and narrowed the fretboard just ever so slightly. Then he waxed the surface and let the pretty wood show through. He also added side markers, all for $40!
This thing is so much more fun to play now, it's ridiculous.
But, i need a good strap. Does anyone know where to find a strap that attaches onto one of the rods on the side with a snap, and to the headstock like a uke strap?

Get a luggage or handbag strap with snaps on each end, then attach one end to the clamp rod at the bridge ...and then go behind and below the neck to the first clamp rod a la banjo straps...hey you could even get a banjo strap if it will shorten enough.......

If this isn't clear , let me know and I'll provide a piccie...Cheers

Last edited:
And if you're into knotting or weaving paracord (like making an extended length bracelet, or a belt), it can hold heavier instruments as well. Not that I've done this, but I have played with paracord a bit. ;-)

bratsche

I use paracord on my banjoleles. It's cheap (REI) and easy to use. Works fine for light instruments. :eek:ld:

I was about to suggest that too. When I had the Goldtune BUT (which is not a light instrument), I ran a paracord most of the way around the pot under the hardware and it worked just fine even without tying anything to the headstock.

I use the Neotech mandolin strap and it has a variety of options for end pieces

for my banjo uke I use a banjo strap - it attaches to the hardware on both sides of the pot and works great (they have a loop that goes around the J-hook and then attaches with a screw lock thingy). My banjo uke has a cheap nylon strap and my banjo has a Lakota Leathers strap - those are amazing. The great thing about this is it doesn't stress the neck of the instrument (a concern with the heavy banjos). Or you could use a banjo strap and use paracord or similar to attach the banjo strap to the headstock.

Alternately - the Firefly banjo uke has a way to attach a standard strap button on the attachment for the tailpiece. You might see if you could do something similar with the Duke - take the screw or bolt that holds on the tailpiece and lengthen it to add a strap button.

I just got back my Duke banjolele from my luthier, Charlie Jirousek. He shaved off the excess from the back of the neck, and narrowed the fretboard just ever so slightly. Then he waxed the surface and let the pretty wood show through. He also added side markers, all for $40!
This thing is so much more fun to play now, it's ridiculous.
But, i need a good strap. Does anyone know where to find a strap that attaches onto one of the rods on the side with a snap, and to the headstock like a uke strap?

A thinner neck and side markers are things that would make any uke more attractive to me. I never thought of asking a luthier to add them. Or that I could afford to do it. Thanks for the information.

You're welcome Ziret! UU people are always ready to help each other. Thanks for all the tips guys, I've put on an ukulele strap for now, it's kinda rigged, but it works okay, until I do something better. I used it tonight for a gig, and it worked. Much easier to play now.

I use a regular Perri's leather banjo strap with plastic clips. Works fine. Many on ebay under $20, I snagged one for $10.

Top Bottom