passive pickup to headphone preamp?

Oolongtea

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Risa stick, mostly to practice on my own without waking up anyone at odd hours or to bring with me during trips.
Anyway the pickups are passive, so if somebody could recommend a preamp simple enough to plug my headphones in that would be great. I'm not looking for something overly complicated, in this case its more a matter of size and practicality.

We have a Vox AmPlug AC30 I use my Risa stick. It's a great headphone preamp.

We have a Vox AmPlug AC30 I use my Risa stick. It's a great headphone preamp.

oh I saw these these yesterday, but there are different models I didn't know which to choose (not the bass one I guess). Is the sound clean? I'm not looking for any effects for now

I used to use a Vox Amplug, but found the sound was just too muddy for my liking - plus the pots eventually gave up with too much crackle.

Personally recommend the Palmer Pocket Amp - great build quality, but more expensive. If you want super cheap (so cheap, you could buy several), The Belcat headphone amps are alright for the money

I used to use a Vox Amplug, but found the sound was just too muddy for my liking - plus the pots eventually gave up with too much crackle.

Personally recommend the Palmer Pocket Amp - great build quality, but more expensive. If you want super cheap (so cheap, you could buy several), The Belcat headphone amps are alright for the money

Hi Baz! I was considering digging up an old post on your website to ask for your advice but here you are ;) I'll definitely keep the Palmer in mind, although it seems to have a lot of effects I won't really be needing atm. On the other hand the Belcat headphone amp is the kind I could take on a trip without fear of loosing or breaking it. I'm just wondering if my ears won't start to bleed with something that cheap! :D

Old thread, I know...

But, if you happen to have a ZOOM H4N, it makes a pretty good headphone amp, with effects!

I wouldn't suggest you go out and buy one just for that use, but if you do, you get a 4 track recorder and a computer interface with microphones also

Wow, old thread for sure! But if anyone's looking to buy one in 2021, the Vox Amplugs got completely reworked with better quality parts a couple years ago.

Top Bottom