NUUD - Ko'olau Tenor Deluxe

Camsuke

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to purchase this wonderful & virtually unused Ko'olau Tenor Deluxe recently, and it was located in Australia which was a real bonus.

Specs are;
3A Koa - Back & Sides
Californian Redwood Top
Radius Fingerboard
Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Bridge and Fretboard
Koa Veneer Headstock
Gotoh Stealth Tuners (Gold)
Satin finish
LR Baggs Five.0 Pickup.

I'm still learning how to coax the best sound out of it, I am not familiar with the Californian Redwood tonal qualities and need to work more on the right string choice to best suit the instrument.

Yea......jeez Campbell you really need to work on the sound of that :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I looks and sounds fabulous, congratulations on a beauty.

Congrats Campbell on a beautiful uke. And it sounds like you are "coaxing" it just fine.

Nice acquisition and wonderful sample, Campbell!!

What strings are on there? Noa Bonk (the luthier who makes Ko'olau) prefers nylon strings on his ukes. That doesn't mean you will, but...

Congrats on a beautiful uke; nice playing also!

Nicely done, very pretty tune! Congrats on the new uke!

Great find Campbell! The Oasis Brights sounded nice on it.

Congrats on a beautiful uke; nice playing also!
Thanks very much L2U.

Nicely done, very pretty tune! Congrats on the new uke!
Thanks Nickie.

Great find Campbell! The Oasis Brights sounded nice on it.
Thank you Hodge, the Oasis Brights definitely give a pleasant lift & a cleaner sound, I originally tried Oasis Warm trebles with the Thomastik G & C, but that just wouldn't cut the mustard, it was way too muddy on this particular uke..

That's so gorgeous, Campbell! I love the song, too! Perfectly suited to uke.

Very nice. Maybe you could post a performance video for each string set that you try? :)

I would also like to know which string sets you tried as I recently received a tenor Ko'olau and I have been trying string sets to match the sound I like. (A sweet and clean sound with a some overtone as a finish) I am currently using Southcoast strings Medium Gage non-wound high G and it's ok but not quite right. The ukulele came with Ko'olau Alohi string but with a wound C which sounded nice except for the wound C. When I replaced it with the Alohli set without the wound C it sounded muted so I moved on to the Southcoast.

Fabulous job, Campbell! Your playing is quite motivational.

The Use sounds superb as well.

Another fine effort, thanks. Love the ukulele too.
Hi Pritch, thanks mate.

That's so gorgeous, Campbell! I love the song, too! Perfectly suited to uke.
I'm the one that's usually congratulating you OhioBelle! Thank you, it's my turn to have a touch of UAS this time.

Very nice. Maybe you could post a performance video for each string set that you try? :)
Hi Estudiante, I'll see what I can do for future videos.

I would also like to know which string sets you tried as I recently received a tenor Ko'olau and I have been trying string sets to match the sound I like. (A sweet and clean sound with a some overtone as a finish) I am currently using Southcoast strings Medium Gage non-wound high G and it's ok but not quite right. The ukulele came with Ko'olau Alohi string but with a wound C which sounded nice except for the wound C. When I replaced it with the Alohli set without the wound C it sounded muted so I moved on to the Southcoast.

Hi Patchenu, I mainly tried Oasis Warms & Brights coupled with the Thomastik CF30 & CF27 for the G & C strings. The wound C definitely didn't work with the Redwood Top and the G was muddy. Once I changed to the Oasis Brights with the Smooth wound G, the uke started to have a cleaner and clearer sound. I may try some Worth Clears as the next string set. Good luck with finding the right strings for your Ko'olau, I'm sure you'll come up with something you like, it's just a matter of time.

Top Bottom