Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: The E- Chord - Is there an alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    look at the notes you've diagrammed. What do you have? A, E, F, C. What is the 5500? C,F,E,A. Same notes.
    Yes, I want to learn to recognize the notes on the fretboard quickly, at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Iza View Post
    Yes, I want to learn to recognize the notes on the fretboard quickly, at some point...
    Good luck with that. I'm still learning. I come from a background of woodwind instruments where you need to know the note before you play it. The difficulty with stringed instruments is that you don't need to know what you're playing. For example, if you know the shape of the dorian mode you can start at any fret and execute the shape, and get a beautiful set of notes. You don't necessarily know what key you're in but it sounds good. I've tried a few things over time. I made flashcards devoted to what four notes are on every fret. It worked horizontally, but I still didn't have a good knowledge of the vertical relationship of the frets. Nowadays I try to practice being hyper-mindful of what I'm doing. I, for instance, play a chromatic scale and say every note I play as I play it. I also will grab any old piece of sheet music and try to sight read it. I can do it with difficulty. So it is still a work-in-progress. I would suggest to start by memorizing your frets with markers. Once you know them by heart, you can then count backwards or forwards to ascertain any note. What I mean by that is if you know that the fifth fret is CFAD, you know the note above the C is a B. Also, I do have on my wall a big, meter-long chart of the fretboard with all the notes written in.

Thread hijacked.....this is no help with the E chord (which I can make now but still hate)
    But:
    A fretboard chart is a good idea, but I don't have room for one.
    What I just started doing is playing a scale up each string, trying to name the notes as I go. I'm probably not getting all the sharps and flats right. But I know that scales ALL go in steps of Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half. A fret up is a half step. Two frets up is a whole step.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I glanced this thread briefly and maybe saw once 1x02 mentioned. So I think this deserves another post.

It is an E chord and done with just 2 fingers. First finger damps also the 3rd C-string. First A-string is most naturally pressed with the third finger and also then the middle finger is ready to press down to get get E7, 1202, when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    I glanced this thread briefly and maybe saw once 1x02 mentioned. So I think this deserves another post.

It is an E chord and done with just 2 fingers. First finger damps also the 3rd C-string. First A-string is most naturally pressed with the third finger and also then the middle finger is ready to press down to get get E7, 1202, when needed.
    Right! It's a better sounding E natural than ol' 2444 also!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

I think you mean't 4442, but you are right. It is a good sounding chord.

The only thing to take care about is not to accidentally mute also E-string. It can happen easy. Takes some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    I think you mean't 4442, but you are right. It is a good sounding chord.

The only thing to take care about is not to accidentally mute also E-string. It can happen easy. Takes some practice.
    Yes, you are right! It's a well known fact that my dyslectic brain keeps me from counting correctly.

hey, I am new in this group and confused about buying a ukulele, which is best for the beginners? I have to choose between soprano and concert, I got this post and its written that concert is better should i go for that ?http://www.hownwhys.com/2017/09/sopr...t-ukulele.html

+1 for 1x02 and also there's 444x. Both are a complete E chord i.e. EG#B and are excellent alternatives to 4442, especially if you have trouble with reach or for older fingers stiffening up.

No matter how many preach about keeping trying etc. etc. I have never really managed the stretch for 4442 and these two really are perfectly acceptable alternatives and really deserve to be in tutor books.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Thread Information