Anyone have any information on this uke?

blodzoom

Reaction score
My dad is in vacation and this caught his eye. He's a beginner on a budget so the pretty solid wood (acacia) is appealing

Attachments

• Resized_20170425_120754.jpg
    Resized_20170425_120754.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Resized_20170425_120757.jpg
    Resized_20170425_120757.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 91
Is your dad at a shop in Waikiki called Ukulele House? I think this is the uke, their site is in Japanese only. My translating skills aren't the best but as far as I can tell it's a made-in-China, "Chinese koa" (acacia) uke. They're advertising it as having the same sound and color as Hawaiian koa, for what that's worth. If he buys it, make sure he knows he's not getting a Hawaii-made uke!

I think there are folks on UU who can speak to entry-level ukes better than I can, but personally if I was going to get a soprano in the $300 range, I'd probably go with one of the known makers like Ohana.

The tag says tenor, but I agree there are "safer" choices in the $350 ballpark and that seems on the high side for what is probably from the KPK/Aiersi factory. Having said that I still like my KPK longneck so it isn't *necessarily* a bad choice, but I agree with Janeray probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Is your dad at a shop in Waikiki called Ukulele House? I think this is the uke, their site is in Japanese only. My translating skills aren't the best but as far as I can tell it's a made-in-China, "Chinese koa" (acacia) uke. They're advertising it as having the same sound and color as Hawaiian koa, for what that's worth. If he buys it, make sure he knows he's not getting a Hawaii-made uke!

I think there are folks on UU who can speak to entry-level ukes better than I can, but personally if I was going to get a soprano in the $300 range, I'd probably go with one of the known makers like Ohana.

Yes he's in Waikiki, I'm not sure which shop but that's very likely it. Combine the geographic location with the fact that It's a shop that I missed while I was there and the similarity of the uke and it's exactly a 98.9646% chance.

Like Jim said, it's a tenor but your comments are still valid. I think he might just be trying too hard to bring one home. I'd rather see him wait a bit and spend more money on a better one next year. He already has a nice solid komoa tenor that he bought for about the same price last year but I think he just wants a souvenier.

He knows it's not hawaiian. He knows a few things to check for. He's bringing a tuner tomorrow to check the intonation at the 12th fret

I agree with the advice the there are better ukes to get in Hawaii -

BUT...

If he loves it, the intonation is good, and it sounds and feels good to him, it will still be a uke bought in Hawaii, even if it's not made there. Can made in Hawaii tenors be had for that price? I have no idea! But if your dad just wants a souvenir, this uke at least has honu on it. So that qualifies in my book. I know the irresistible lure of souvenir-hunting myself. :)

Like Jim said, it's a tenor but your comments are still valid. I think he might just be trying too hard to bring one home. I'd rather see him wait a bit and spend more money on a better one next year. He already has a nice solid komoa tenor that he bought for about the same price last year but I think he just wants a souvenier.

He knows it's not hawaiian. He knows a few things to check for. He's bringing a tuner tomorrow to check the intonation at the 12th fret

Sounds like he's proceeding cautiously, which is good. If he can get to Hawaii Music Supply, I'd recommend it - they will set him up with a good uke in his price range. A bit afield from Waikiki but a worthwhile trip to see a very different part of O'ahu.

And I do get the appeal of the souvenir-hunting and the honu :)

]If he can get to Hawaii Music Supply, I'd recommend it - they will set him up with a good uke in his price range

Excellent idea! Going to Haleiwa is a very nice day trip and he could stop in at Opal Thai for some of the best and most innovative Thai food that can be found anywhere.

Last edited:
We went to Hawaii Music Supply while I was there but he didn't really engage, we were more there to look for my uke. He looked around and I guess nothing caught his eye. I'm partially wondering if he's just not sure what to do with himself now that I'm not there dragging him around shopping for my ukulele and that's why he's looking now.

also, could have used that Thai food tip last week.

Good news, everybody. He bought an opio instead. This is extra good for me because I kind of wanted one, now I can just play his.

Top Bottom