Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do you use high-G/reentrant or low-G/linear tuning exclusively?

Quote Originally Posted by ukuleleden View Post
    Makes for a good argument to have one Uke in each size, and then an additional one each of those strung in both high G/re-entrant, and Low G.
    And then a spare of each of those, just in case.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    I took up the ukulele because of the re-entrant tuning ... that's what "sounds like" a ukulele, to my mind, and my re-entrant tenor is my "go-to" ukulele.

However, being the adaptable little things that they are, I keep a concert tuned low-G for those tabs that are set out like that and both a soprano and baritone tuned in 5th's (an octave apart) as "quiet" alternatives to my mandolin and tenor banjo respectively.

Talking about alternative tunings ... has anyone tried "Nashville" tuning on a guitar. Retaining the EADGBE relationship, the lower four strings (EADG) are tuned an octave higher than "normal", effectively using the treble strings from the pairs of strings on a 12-string guitar. The net result is rather like a 6-string re-entrant instrument ... put a capo in the 5th fret and you've got a re-entrant guitarlele (almost) ... just waiting for my set of D'Addarrio strings to arrive and I'll set up me Washburn Rover small -body travel guitar with them. Should be interesting!

My wife's first guitar, a Yamaha FG75, has been our house high strung guitar for the last 30 years. I used to buy individual strings, but now buy a twelve string set and use the high octave to string the Yamaha and the lower octave to string the O-18. It's great for when you have a jam with 3 or 4 guitars and you need a different sound.

Back to the uke - I definitely prefer re-entrant for strumming and certain fingerstyle tunes, but I'm really glad to have a linear strung uke for those times when I need some low notes.

I have tried both re-entrant and Low G and have settled
    on re-entrant as my choice of 'what I like the sound of!'
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    And then a spare of each of those, just in case.
    Absolutely! Never can be too safe when needing to reach for a particular instrument at any given time, and being sure it's there and ready to play! This theory should certainly help those sitting on the fence wondering if they should buy that next Uke or not...
    Soprano: '60s Martin Soprano | '14 Kala Ukadelic Checker | '17 "Style 1 Centennial - Natural" 0X Bamboo (Factory Labeling Error), "The "Bamboo Centennial", Serial #15796) | '17 Style 1 Centennial |

Super Soprano: | '17 (KPK) Koa Pili Koko Deluxe (Longneck) w/Maple binding & "Bone Conversion" |

Concert: '15 Martin C1K | '15 Ohana CK-38 | '17 KoAloha Opio Acacia |

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Only high G for 5 years! Although, after a friend showed me some slack key tuning, I considered putting low G on my Islander, but haven't gone to the dark side yet!

Too busy with trying to learn bass and other things...
    Well, I've gone over to the Darkside! Last night, I was changing strings on another uke and found a wound low G in my "collection" that I took off of another uke purchase from the past. I'd been considering Low G for a while since our club does play a lot of old rock songs and it probably does fit in a little better. So, I put Low G on my Islander, not sure if it will ever leave the house, but maybe at one of our jams focused on classic rock.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

With the advice of my first teacher who is a performer known for his singing, I started with low g and have stayed with it. Never tried reentrant except when I was a kid in Hawaii. I strum and sing exclusively. No desire to play instrumental numbers. Interesting that so many on this post sing with reentrant and play melody with linear. My singing uke group had 2 of us playing linear and 2 playing reentrant. Now we all play linear.
    Should add that I also like linear for the rifts/ bass runs I throw in with strumming. I'm using the string sets that Chuck Moore recommends. Love, LOVE the sound.
    Last edited by flailingfingers; 10-26-2017 at 04:55 AM. Reason: adding info

I have a low voice and I definitely like the re-entrant higher than my voice strumming when I sing with my ukulele. I don't want the my uke be a guitar, but an unique instrument on its own.

I have a classical guitar, but it suits only my singing if I fingerpick, not strumming as it is way too low for my voice. With strumming a guitar a steel string would work, but then I desire usually also a bit mellownes on higher strings that it does not have, my acoustic guitar. Sometimes it is good, but I don't much feel familiar with pick strumming and the index finger strum is more like what i like. I can do the pick strumming on guitar though even on classical. Just I feel it is an extra thing though. Never with uke to be used.

Also while I don't have a low G ukulele, this I feel: Many chords that sound nice with re-entrant uke would sound a bit unbalanced with low G. Like what is this fifth booming as so low or whatever note except the root? Just my opinion wanting to keep guitar and ukulele as different instruments.

I can understand the need for instrumental chord melody playing. For me I just strum ukulele and am not much interested in any solo playing. That is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    I don't want the my uke be a guitar, but an unique instrument on its own.
    My uke is a lazy man's little guitar. I am too lazy to study re-entrant.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Thread Information