Do you use high-G/reentrant or low-G/linear tuning exclusively?

Mivo

Reaction score
I went back and forth about re-entrant and linear tuning for a while, and seem to lately settle on just using both on different ukuleles. This doesn't entirely remove the wondering what the other tuning format would sound like on a given uke, but at least I don't change weekly! :)

What about you folks? Are you exclusively using re-entrant tuning? Only linear? Or do you have different ukes for both? I meant to include a poll, but can't add one after posting.

I have both but I lean toward linear. I keep linear on my best most frequently played ukes and reentrant on my beaters. I like the sound of both, but like the logic of linear for fingerstyle (and the extra low notes).

Only high G for 5 years! Although, after a friend showed me some slack key tuning, I considered putting low G on my Islander, but haven't gone to the dark side yet! :shaka:

Too busy with trying to learn bass and other things...

All my ukes are hi-G re-entrant tuning, I love the sound. I think it sounds more like a uke than a guitar. I tried low G and it just didn't sound "right" to me. When I started playing uke 4 years ago, I stopped playing guitar (after almost 50 years) and have not touched them since. I feel like if I want the sound of linear tuning, I would play my guitars, but after getting so comfortable on uke, I doubt that would happen.

I only have one uke and it's a tenor with low-G. It originally came with re-entrant strings but I noticed that many finger-picking songs are asking for a low-G and once it was re-strung I would never go back. That said, I also would like to have a second uke, possibly a long-neck soprano, and would keep that in re-entrant.

I like the Low G on my chord and melody songs. I use my high G on my Tin Pan Alley type songs. I also have a 5 string with both a Low & High G which I use for my strumming and sing-along type stuff. While I can play any song on any uke, some songs really sound better on a certain uke.

I have a concert strung linear that I constantly and probably stupidly switch between low g and low a. My sopranos are reentrant. I prefer reentrant, and nearly always play that, but have a few pieces I'm working on that require linear. I'm sort of surprised that many, or even most (?) people who immitate Jake in uke size and even headstock, don't in what's more important to his sound and arrangements--high g. That said, that's not why I like reentrant (I don't think). I prefer how it sounds, and the clever things that can be done with that oddball high g string. I think the limitations and advantages of the one tuning are pretty evenly matched in the other, so having both might be ideal.

Re-entrant or High G as I am a singer/strummer vs finger-picker.

were I to do more finger-picking, I would consider Low G for some songs :)

keep uke'in',

I think my biggest challenge with low-G was to find strings that really work well together on my uke. My first low-G exposure was with a plain/unwound low-G, which really didn't do it for me. I chalked up low-G for some time, until I tried wound low-Gs. For some time, I favored the Fremont Soloist + Worth Clears or Martin M620s, but eventually I drifted back to the Aquila Reds (88U) as I like the wound string from that set even more (and generally love the Reds). These work so extremely well on my tenor. But whether I like it is very dependent on the strings.

I sometimes think it'd be nice to use only re-entrant tuning, but it sounds either too thin on the tenor or too dull (if I go down to Bb). Linear with a low-G the instrument has a very balanced, round, full tone. Once experienced, it's hard to "unhear" the beauty of it. On my concert, I use re-entrant. Haven't tried a low-G there and don't feel overly tempted. It sounds great with high-G. My sopranos are all re-entrant. I'm barely happy with the C there and I don't think I'd enjoy a low-G on them (or a low A). :)

What really made me appreciate low-G (instead of rebelling against it for it not being uke-y) was Daniel Ho's "Polani" album (on his site and on iTunes). I really recommend the album and the book with the music in it. The most beautiful ukulele instrumentals I have heard.

I play both, but generally prefer re-entrant tuning.
Kamaka HF-3: re-entrant, fluorocarbon, all-plain - exactly how an ukulele should sound!
Martin 1T: low-g, nylon, double-wound - perfect warm tones all around.

I agree with Uncle Rod, but instead of lots of strumming like U-Rod, I mostly play solo/fingerstyle and so prefer Low-G tuning. But strummed chords just sound tighter with re-entrant tuning, which I like.

The nice thing about having Low-G (Low-F for me, because I tune my Tenor down two half-steps), is that the range allows me pretty much play anything straight off the treble clef of any piece of music!

The re-entrant tuning is one of the things that drew me to the ukulele in the first place. I'm just not a linear person, and I've made that pretty clear in my signature.

Last edited:
I have only recently dipped my toe into linear tuning. There were many solo/fingerstyle pieces I wasn't able to play since I only had reentrant ukes. Interestingly, I have found that I like linear tuning a lot more for strumming. The lower bass note seems to ground my voice better. I will still keep several reentrant ukes, but I have a feeling more will have their high 4th string changed out for a low one.

Use both; however, which I play most frequently at any given time depends on what song(s) I'm learning. Right now I'm playing mostly linear tuning but always have a re-entrant uke out as well.

High G - only, always, forever. :)

Most of my ukes are re-entrant, except the 3 string and a baritone. I play pretty much exclusively fingerstyle. I like the open high G when playing up the neck, the Guitar Gently Weeps sound, where the open G is somewhat of a drone at times. Two and three note chords up the neck with the melody imbedded into the chord is my usual approach to a song.

Tried linear and could just not get there without having to cover the low G, doesn't work for me played open. I'm old and lazy, so I have no desire to have to barre all over the neck. If I wanted that, I'd just go back to the guitar.

John

80% linear. I use this for songs i arrange/noodle.
20% reentrant. I use this mostly for songs other people have arranged.

Top Bottom