Do you use high-G/reentrant or low-G/linear tuning exclusively?

Linear on all my tenors and baritones which are 90% of what I own.

I have a long neck soprano and a super concert that are both re-entrant for when the "ukie" mood strikes me. But I will make no apologies when I say I treat the uke as a mini 4 string nylon guitar and as such linear tuning is where it's at for me.

Last edited:
80% linear. I use this for songs i arrange/noodle.
20% reentrant. I use this mostly for songs other people have arranged.

I take that second one partly back. I tend to use high g for songs that typically have female vocals when I arrange my own.

Only re-entrant which will come as no surprise to anyone who has heard me play. I do own a tenor with low g but I only ever use it to work out why some chords sound a but rubbish with low g!

Linear only for me. I like the sound of other people's reentrant ukes, but linear suits my songwriting style best. Also, I have one uke, so had to choose one tuning. <3

I have a couple of ukes tuned high G, but only play low G for gigs, and most of my ukes are tuned tuned Low G.

My gigs are mostly solo, so I switch between singing and playing instrumental solos during any particular song, so I need the extra notes that Low G offers to be able to play the melodies.

When I pIay High G Now I kind of feel handicapped without the extra notes.

Both. Linear for complex arrangements and re-entrant for strumming/sing-along-ish stuff. I have a couple of dedicated ukes in each tuning, and switch back and forth as the mood fits.

I have both. Sometimes I need the extra tonal range of the low G, but for general strumming I like the high G. I'm also exploring some of the "odball" things that can be done with the high G. Anyway, it's good to have both.

Can't pick one or even a key. I have more linear at the moment (C, Ab, G) and the Eb cuatro (low reentrant) plays more like linear than high reentrant. Reentrant I have Bb and C currently.

Reentrant only. I've never been able to get used to low g. I once got a chance to play a cuatro. It was strung with a low A. Size wise it was about halfway between a tenor and a baritone.

I seem to lately settle on just using both on different ukuleles. This doesn't entirely remove the wondering what the other tuning format would sound like on a given uke, but at least I don't change weekly!

Me too! They're different!

Can't pick one or even a key. I have more linear at the moment (C, Ab, G) and the Eb cuatro (low reentrant) plays more like linear than high reentrant. Reentrant I have Bb and C currently.

Jim, it sounds like you're having commitment issues!:D

For the life of me, I usually can't make strumming sound good in linear. So when I sing, I prefer to chord in re-entrant. But I enjoy picking in linear on most arrangements. So I have one uke strung in each. The banjo uke is strung hi g.....

I took up the ukulele because of the re-entrant tuning ... that's what "sounds like" a ukulele, to my mind, and my re-entrant tenor is my "go-to" ukulele.

However, being the adaptable little things that they are, I keep a concert tuned low-G for those tabs that are set out like that and both a soprano and baritone tuned in 5th's (an octave apart) as "quiet" alternatives to my mandolin and tenor banjo respectively.

Talking about alternative tunings ... has anyone tried "Nashville" tuning on a guitar. Retaining the EADGBE relationship, the lower four strings (EADG) are tuned an octave higher than "normal", effectively using the treble strings from the pairs of strings on a 12-string guitar. The net result is rather like a 6-string re-entrant instrument ... put a capo in the 5th fret and you've got a re-entrant guitarlele (almost) ... just waiting for my set of D'Addarrio strings to arrive and I'll set up me Washburn Rover small -body travel guitar with them. Should be interesting!

:music:

Will stick to re-entrant. Was surprised at first having the g one octave higher. But standard is standard! Will not make this more difficult than necessary. Trying to get some content into the frame :)

Last edited:
All my ukes are re-entrant except for a Triumph tenor.

I think I've been in a similar thread before. I love the re-entrant uke sound but there is nothing wrong with low G. Some here say it is good for strumming, but I found it better for fingerpicking classical and folk stuff to get those low melody notes.

It's all good.

PeteyHoudini

For the life of me, I usually can't make strumming sound good in linear. So when I sing, I prefer to chord in re-entrant. But I enjoy picking in linear on most arrangements. So I have one uke strung in each. The banjo uke is strung hi g.....
Same here, Nickie. If I liked it enough, I'd work on that.

It depends on the key and the position. A C chord fingered 0003 will usually sound better on reentrant than linear, but 5433 will usually sound better on linear. 2000 Am sounds better (and fuller) on linear.

Top Bottom