First string change

johnEuchre

Reaction score
Hey guys...I wanted to get some advice on what strings to put on my Kala cedar top concert. I've had it since Feb and play nearly everyday for at least 2 hrs. I feel like I wanna try some new strings. I've read up on the Aquila Reds, but heard about them snapping on some people (I ain't got time for that). Anybody have experience with this same uke??

Worth CM are nice as are Oasis brights, both florocarbons as uke 1950 above recommended

Strings are an individual thing, so it's worthwhile to try out different types. I never quite warmed up to fluorocarbon strings and find them a bit tinny and sterile sounding, bit it's really much like food preferences. Fluorocarbon strings I liked better than others are the aNueNue Black and Clear Waters, and the Oasis that Dave mentioned. This us mostly about how their relative gauges and how they fit together.

But nothing comes close to the Aquila Reds and Carbonblacks (same thing) for me. Much louder, much more vibrant than anything else I know. They are more fragile when not installed "correctly", but since you have a slotted headstock, it's unlikely you need to do anything special. Time is too precious to settle for strings that aren't what you like best. Strings have a strong impact on the sound.

With cedar, I think the Reds will sound particularly good (needs to be driven hard for the best sound), but you really need to try different materials and brands to find out what you like best and what works best with the instrument you have. Recommendations on here are especially useful when you know what you like and what the advice giving person likes. For example, I know Keith likes unwound low-G strings, and I don't get on with them, so we know we have different preferences (just like someone liking brunettes and someone else preferring redheads). From Dave I know he likes a deep guitar-y sound, so when he says about a wood or a string that it's very mellow, I know it would be too dark for me. :)

So buy some different strings and have fun experimenting! :)

I have two cedar top tenors. I like Oasis Warm and Living Water best but there are many others I've tried and liked. I currently have them strung Low G with 2 wound and 2 fluorocarbon strings which is yet another option.

Mivo, thanks for your insight. I definitely don't want tinny. I do like like bright and loud but still warm. Is that a contradiction? Bright & warm? Still learning....I would uke to give the reds a try though.

Mivo, thanks for your insight. I definitely don't want tinny. I do like like bright and loud but still warm. Is that a contradiction? Bright & warm? Still learning....I would uke to give the reds a try though.

I actually said much the same to a friend recently when I talked about the Reds, so it makes sense to me, but may seem like a contradiction to others. :) I like vibrant, alive, sparkling (brilliant, light, bright) strings that still sound full and rich, with a fast response, and the Reds do that for me like no other strings. In a way, they are like a hybrid of steel and nylon strings, sound-wise. They have some of the crystalline sparkling of steel strings (none of the piercing) and also some of the fullness of nylon (none of the muddiness).

But yes, it's really very subjective, even the terms mean something different to everyone.

I just acquired a Kala cedar topped tenor. I'm too new at this to be making suggestions to anyone, but did switch out the stock Aquila Nylgut's for Martin fluorocarbons, and like the change. They bring a bit more clarity, I think. And they're cheap! I've got a set of Aquila Reds to try next.

A cedar top usually produces a mellow tone compared to spruce, so a bright string can bring out a great voice.
I use flourocarbon on my cedar and redwood tops.

I actually said much the same to a friend recently when I talked about the Reds, so it makes sense to me, but may seem like a contradiction to others. :) I like vibrant, alive, sparkling (brilliant, light, bright) strings that still sound full and rich, with a fast response, and the Reds do that for me like no other strings. In a way, they are like a hybrid of steel and nylon strings, sound-wise. They have some of the crystalline sparkling of steel strings (none of the piercing) and also some of the fullness of nylon (none of the muddiness).

But yes, it's really very subjective, even the terms mean something different to everyone.

Well all that makes sense to me so I guess we're sprechen the same verbeage. I feel a little better to try those Reds now. I also want to try the Worths and some others. I guess that's what y'all did was experimented...

A cedar top usually produces a mellow tone compared to spruce, so a bright string can bring out a great voice.
I use flourocarbon on my cedar and redwood tops.

Good to know...man there's so much to keep in mind. Luckily my daughter has a spruce top Kala I can compare with.

I just acquired a Kala cedar topped tenor. I'm too new at this to be making suggestions to anyone, but did switch out the stock Aquila Nylgut's for Martin fluorocarbons, and like the change. They bring a bit more clarity, I think. And they're cheap! I've got a set of Aquila Reds to try next.

I'll probably go for the Reds next. I'm also interested in the brown Worth's (they're described as a warm sound) I like the sound of that. How do you like that tenor? I'd consider that one as my next uke, first tenor, but I'll probably go for a spruce top instead.

I guess that's what y'all did was experimented...

Yep! On the upside, it can slow down the acquisition of new instruments as sometimes different strings can transform a ukulele so much that it feels and sounds like a new uke altogether. :)

I like trying out new strings because it's much cheaper than buying new ukes and because my wife never says, "what? more strings!? why do you need so many strings??" :)

I'll probably go for the Reds next. I'm also interested in the brown Worth's (they're described as a warm sound) I like the sound of that. How do you like that tenor? I'd consider that one as my next uke, first tenor, but I'll probably go for a spruce top instead.

I love it! My only other uke is cheap all-laminate Makala, so I don't yet know how the cedar top would compare in tone to other woods, but it sounds great, plays really well, and has looks far above it's price category.

I love it! My only other uke is cheap all-laminate Makala, so I don't yet know how the cedar top would compare in tone to other woods, but it sounds great, plays really well, and has looks far above it's price category.

Awesome! I agree this uke has a lot of great features for the price. It'll be interesting to see how bad I agonize over picking a tenor for my next uke. I actually returned 2 other concerts before getting this one. Did you consider the Kala acacia tenor at all??

Top Bottom