Season 272 - Like it was, Charley

I'm not going to make it this week, so sorry - had a stinker of a week so far, no time at all to pick up a uke or watch anything really... and now we're off away for a few days and wont be back til Monday. The good thing is we're going somewhere uke-related! Have fun folks and I hope to be back soon - and it's so good to notice that BEV is back! Fantastic! Been sorely missed!

‎Charles Hardin Holley
September 7‎, ‎1936 to February 3‎, ‎1959

Here's Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue being murdered by me! :rolleyes:

(I know that's not Peggy Sue at the end, but I though his wedding photo would be a nice touch. :) )
<Edited to say that he married María Elena Santiago>

[Those of you with a weak disposition may want to skip this one. ;) ]

Last edited:
Well, I missed the past few weeks, but I'm back with my first offering for this week: a "Like It Was" song called "Paradise," written by John Prine in 1971. According to the song notes in the Rise Up Singing songbook, Paradise was a real town in Kentucky before the area was completely demolished by the Peabody Coal Company's stripping operations.

Season 272. Submission 3. "The Way We Were" (Words by Alan and Marilyn Bergman, music by Marvin Hamlisch, 1973)

SurlyMac has a special birthday coming up in just a few days. This vid is for him.

Ylle, this is my last submission for the week. Thank you so much for hosting such a fantastic Season. :)

Last edited:
I'm not going to make it this week, so sorry - had a stinker of a week so far, no time at all to pick up a uke or watch anything really... and now we're off away for a few days and wont be back til Monday. The good thing is we're going somewhere uke-related! Have fun folks and I hope to be back soon - and it's so good to notice that BEV is back! Fantastic! Been sorely missed!
Sorry to hear that you can't participate this week, Lesley. BUT those uke-related travel plans sound great. Happy strumming (and picking and singing)! :)

Hello Seasonistas! It's Thursday evening here in Finland, and I've had the pleasure to listen to your new entries. Some songs made me smile, others made me feel nostalgic. There were a couple of wonderful new "Charley" songs and several beautiful, sweet and/or bittersweet songs have been added to "Like It Was" playlist.

We have now 62 songs from 34 Seasonistas on the playlists.

Great to see returning Seasonistas, & newbie Seasonistas - you're getting yourself a fab first Season, Ylle. :)
This is indeed a fab Season, thank you all for participating, for listening to the others' songs and for helping this first time host. :)

I am not quite sure if it fits but here is another looking back song:

Last edited:
This is "Kid Charlemagne" by Steely Dan. That's Gallic for Charlie, right?

I didn't get a video done for Cowboy Week, but last night I found an Eisley placard I'd made for that Season. Bottles of Arizona Gunslinger Hot Sauce come with a tiny cowboy hat on them, and my daughter had gotten a few photos of Eisley wearing it.

A Randy Newman song for "Like It Was." This is #3 for me, see ya next Season!

Greetings,

I tried to put a different spin on the "good ol' days". So this song by CNSY tells of how it could have been better!

Enjoy,
Ciao

PS: A bit hoarse, the usual spring cold/allergies. :)

Like it was: In 1967. I became a teenager, I discovered FM radio. This is one of the first songs I recall hearing in that medium. I also started Junior High School at a well integrated institution. I started to come into my own. Prior to this I had attended a lily-white elementary school where I was held back from achieving much of anything. They really had no idea as to how to deal with special needs students and dumped all of us into one of two classes, one for slow learners and one for "smarter kids that might be autistic, physically handicapped or otherwise deemed not quite the right stuff. My sixth grade classmates and I wrote more 500 word punishment essays than the rest of the school combined. Joni Mitchell and I share this heritage. Not only didn't we fit in but we both were afflicted by Polio and in both of our situations we had to learn how to adapt and learned how to do things our own way. In our old age Joni and I both suffer severe health problems mostly as a directresult of post polio. This song may describe how things were in the 60's but I suspect it is just as relevant today.

Ok, well I posted one video and the world didn't end or anything, so here's another. Thanks to everyone who commented on my first one on Youtube, much appreciated. One note though, I'm not really a Bluegrasser per se, though I do like it. I'm mostly traditional country, and I dabble in a few other genres. Here's "Whatever happened to Charlie Brown"....

One for the "Like it was" section of our program...I can't really believe I tried this one, so I will apologize early. It is probably the most iconic Iris Dement song, and if you know here stuff...you know it is best to just forget about trying to cover her. In any event, 40 takes that ended in tearing up (you will know which verse)...I finally got one I liked.
So here is my take on a beautiful song Iris wrote, done my way because her way is too darn hard.

Whilst I was thinking about something else, this old song popped into my head, so I've done my version of it.

This is a 'what was' one. :)

(My video editor played me up a bit & seemed to slow it down a little.)

I rewrote some of the words, put my own chords to it, & searched the internet for some suitable pictures.

(This was recorded from my computer screen - another first for me.)

Ok....This is my first video ever, and I find this quite scary, as corny as that sounds. But you seem like very nice people here who have a lot of fun with this, so here it is......

Terrific first video! (And, if I'm not mistaken, you're wielding that lovely Bonanza that once was in my stable. Glad she's in a happy home!)

Bonus entry (I hope). Last night, the Raleigh Uke Jam stepped back in time with Van Morrison and sang about that brown-eyed girl. The camera had to sit on a hook mounted to a cork board, so I couldn't get the whole room. But we had fun. Enjoy!

I check in here this lovely evening and I find Wendy returning and a new member Recovering Bassist. It's great to see you both.

Here's another "Like it was" song.

I spent some time looking through my Graeme Miles songs the other night. There are many great songs that would fit the theme. I chose this one, partly because Wolviston is where one of my regular folk clubs meet.

Greetings,

It's sparse, raw and just the song for me this week. "Crying Time" by Ray Charles cover. Since today is Cinco de Mayo I will soon be heading out for tequila and tacos. So.....this makes me very happy.

Ciao
g

Top Bottom