Season 272 - Like it was, Charley

Hello Seasonistas! Thank you so much for the terrific start for Season 272!

So far, we have had some fine blues, traditional songs, country and show tunes. And a couple of very enjoyable originals, too. On the playlists, there are currently 25 songs from 20 Seasonistas. I think that I have listened and commented all the entries so far, but please let me know if I've missed something.

Thank you and let's keep strumming! :)

Probably the longest song I have ever sung on the season.
The angry bit comes on the second last verse if you last that long.

If you're a grown up looking wistfully to the past, is there ever a better time than your teenage years and your first love?

With added cameo from mini-RAB.

I haven't pulled out the banjo uke in a long time. This one seemed to call for it :)

Another story 'bout a man named Charley on a tragic and fateful day...a singalong. Why I did it in C I don't know, of well.

Here is a song I found that I had to do. There were no lyrics or chords online by the Singing Postman. My guess is that it will be new to you all.

Originally a 19th century English music hall song this was modified and recorded by Blind Blake as a fingerpickin rag and later by Leon Redbone this is my modified uke version

Think this one sits nicely in the Like It Was camp. Featuring a cameo at the end from the rather wondrous T-shirt I somehow won as part of Turledrum's Be-Cause season. Thanks Linda, as you can see, it fits like a, well, T-Shirt :cool:

A Berni original that attempts to cover both themes and was written today especially for this Season:

Lyrics in subtitles and in the youtube description. Three chord trick in "D"

Season 272. Submission 2. "The Glory of Love" (Words and music by Billy Hill, 1936)

Ylle, I offer this for the "Like It Was" playlist, thinking about good times past and present.

Hi, Seasonistas! It's a nice evening here in Finland, the sun is setting soon and I've had a great time, listening to your wonderful songs. Like every week, I'm amazed at the variety and quality of your entries.

I've also enjoyed seeing and hearing your new (or rarely seen) ukes, and the cameos by younger generation (mini-RAB), as well as cameos by animal companions (AlanDP's and TD's dogs and Rick's cats).

We have now 37 songs from 24 Seasonistas on the playlists. At the beginning of the Season, Charley was clearly the more popular theme, but you have also brought several excellent songs about the days gone by.

Thank you for the fine music! :cool:

Here's my first entry; A Charlie song.

A little history for our non UK friends. Prince Charles Edward Stewart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) attempted, in 1745 to take back the throne vacated by his grandfather, King James II (of England and VII of Scotland) in 1688. After some initial success he was comprehensively defeated at a battle at Culloden near Inverness. After the battle he went into hiding and though hunted down by the troops of the English crown, he eventually escaped to France, never to return. In time he became something of a romantic hero. Lady Caroline Nairne whose father had fought with Bonnie Prince Charlie wrote a number of songs about the Jacobite cause using traditional tunes. This is one of them.

Here's a "those were the days" song for you. The Right Stuff by Bap Kennedy. No swearing this time. I swear.

Life has thrown a lot of craziness our way lately, so we haven't been able to do a song together in a while. Tonight was the kind of night, though, when we just needed to forget about the stress for a bit, and sing an easy song together. This one is about a Charley.

Top Bottom