Season 272 - Like it was, Charley

Season 272. Submission 1. “Good Time Charlie’s Got the Blues” (A Collaboration – SurlyMac and Turtledrum) (Written and recorded by Danny O’Keefe, 1972)

Percussion, harp, audio mixing – SurlyMac
Vocal, tenor ukulele – Turtledrum

Mac and I worked on this one during the summer, Kolibri, but it hasn't ever been submitted to a Season. It seemed perfect here, but it's up to you whether or not you want it on the Playlist, ok?

And another song by Charlie Peacock, this I know best in a version by Russ Taff and is called Down in the Lowlands.

The Charley playlist has not been set up as a collaborative list as far as I can see.

Here's the Charlie Chaplin one that wee_ginga_yin didn't do

Moving Day was a tradition in New York City dating back to colonial times and lasting until after World War II. On February 1, sometimes known as "Rent Day", landlords would give notice to their tenants what the new rent would be after the end of the quarter, the tenants would spend good-weather days in the early spring searching for new houses and the best deals and on the first of May all leases in the city expired simultaneously at 9:00 am, causing thousands of people to change their residences, all at the same time. Pandaemonium reigned!

Charlie Poole and the North Carolina Ramblers recorded this in 1930.

Mac and I worked on this one during the summer, Kolibri, but it hasn't ever been submitted to a Season. It seemed perfect here, but it's up to you whether or not you want it on the Playlist, ok?
Thank you, Linda and Scott, for a beautiful submission. I added it to "Charley" playlist.

Obvious song choice for this Season. Got jealous of all of you who have banjo ukes so I got me one a few days ago.........

Charlie Mopps

Someone had to do this song, and it might as well be me :)

A Top Ten hit for the Coasters in 1959, written by Leiber & Stoller.

Drag the Lake Charlie

This is one of my favorite Drive-By Truckers songs.

Charlie and Ira...suspect to see them a lot this week. First song that popped into my head and then Ukulele Daddy sends it along immediately. Funny how that works ;)

No way I was going to redo this take after Rani decided to drop in ...

Buddy Holly had some lungs, man. Rani decided to hang around for this one, too.

TCK and I seem to share a brain. I did indeed record this song last night as well. The difference is that TCK didn't get loaded and start dropping F-bombs. I did. So if you don't care to hear me cuss, that happens around 2:00, if you like train wrecks, well, keep the film rolling.

Top Bottom