Where do you guys find shipping boxes?

Stevelele

Reaction score
I find it incredibly difficult to find boxes that are the right size to send ukuleles. I've relied on boxes that are way too big and increase shipping costs tremendously. The container store doesn't really have anything, nor do standard stores like lowes or home depot. What to do?

Check with your local shipping store. We have Box Bros. which has a good selection. When they've haven't had what I needed, I've made one from a larger box or two smaller boxes.

I've been lucky scrounging dumpsters behind retail stores and office buildings.
Also, I've seen empty guitar and uke boxes on CL.

I find it incredibly difficult to find boxes that are the right size to send ukuleles. I've relied on boxes that are way too big and increase shipping costs tremendously. The container store doesn't really have anything, nor do standard stores like lowes or home depot. What to do?

I save my boxes from HMS.

all excellent suggestions--thank you!

I'm facing the same issue. I actually found a pretty decent box at the beauty supply store. It was used to pack Rasta wigs. So when I took it to the post office she said it's double the price because of the height and I should cut it down. She said most people make their own boxes for lightweight big items like a ukulele. I then found a large piece of cardboard outside the post office and tried to fashion my own box. I failed :-(

I then struggled with this very sturdy box to cut the height down. But I was unable to get the two long sides to match. It doesn't seem secure to have one leaf of the cardboard hanging over the other side. Couldn't get the long sides to bend evenly. With all the shipping that goes on in the marketplace I would think it would be easy to find an easy answer.

BTW I did ask at the music store and he brought down two ukulele boxes but they are very lightweight boxes used to pack ukuleles inside a bigger box. I'm also shipping with a case so that wasn't going to work.

What JJFN said - when I ship a uke, it's usually in the box of the last uke I bought. :rolleyes:

I get mine, either from ukes I've bought[I always save the boxes and it looks like some I've gotten have been used several times]or from buying cases . I have gone to my local music store and have gotten boxes for ukes and guitars too.

Ditto. My local Guitar Center store seems more than happy to give away empty guitar/ukulele, etc., boxes.

If you only need one or two, FedEx Biz Ctr or USPS Store will sell you one, or even pack it for you. Get a quote first. They can charge more than you might guess.

I have bought 36x12x10 shipping boxes in bulk (15+) from Uline that have worked out great.

I've had good luck using oversized boxes and cutting them down too. Unfold the box completely and make careful measurements. If you use a board (or something with a hard edge), you can make new clean folds in the cardboard and end up with a custom sized box. Can take a bit of practice, but I have had excellent results where it's hard to tell it was modified. You can use a hot glue gun to reinforce any seams, and then tape appropriately.

-Steve

I never throw away decent boxes I've gotten instruments shipped in. Luckily, there's room in my attic/crawlspace over the garage to house them all until it's time to recycle one. Seems I can always find what I need up there. ;)

bratsche

I always keep my boxes too, but there never seems to be enough. I found a pretty good option online but you have to buy a lot of 20, and I don't want to be overboxed!

Try your local music stores that sell guitars, mandolins, and ukuleles.

Ditto. My local Guitar Center store seems more than happy to give away empty guitar/ukulele, etc., boxes.

This! I get mine from my local shop's recycling pile. Usually they're guitar boxes, so I cut them down to size; I usually do a box within a box with lots of packing material in between. As anybody who has bought a uke from me on UU can attest to, my Frankenboxes get there safely even though they might not be the prettiest :)

I have driven my partner semi insane by insisting on keeping uke & guitar boxes. I have churned so many that I still have a nice selection. I keep them by saying "If you want instrumentation reduction, box levels must be maintained." So they stay.

If you get good at cutting down and making boxes, you can even get good flat boxes from a bike store.

Share your cargo containers! I realized my best bet for a source was to ask a friend with UAS. It worked!
You guys have demonstrated that you would be a good resource. Unless of course you hoarded boxes for hoarders sake.

Top Bottom