Oscar Schmidt?

YogaBill

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a tenor. I'm equally impressed by the OS and the Lanikai. Which represents the better value?

Depends on what model. I had an Oscar Schmidt tenor cutaway spalted maple, but the nut was a little too narrow for me and did not project as well as I wanted. I also had a Lanikai spruce top, and a monkey pod and zebra wood, none had the projection and sustain I wanted. I then traded in those for a $370 Kala tenor (KAATP-CTG-CE) solid cedar top, acacia koa body cutaway with electronics and it has become my go-to for gigs, great projection and sustain that rivals even $1000 ukes.

Kala Cedar.jpg

If you can afford ~$300, a Ohana TK-50G, cedar topped solid Rosewood has plenty of sound and 37 mm nut. None of the OS Uke I've played were solid topped, or had the tone of the Kala or Ohana Cedar topped ukes. Spruce is not a nice as cedar, IMHO.

The Lanikais I've played were lower cost models and never caught my attention. My cheap Caramels & Rubins beat the Lanikai's every time. For a inexpensive Tenor, the Caramel CT-100 Zebra wood laminate will give you a nice sounding uke for ~$65, delivered!

You can do better with a Kala or Ohana. Checkout Mims site. She does setups on all her ukes. Also, sent You a PM......

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Oscar Schmidt ukuleles, and have tried to like Lanikais. When you play a Lanikai, really listen. They may look great, but I've never played one with anything but horrible intonation problems. So bad, in fact, I consider them un-tunable.

I once had an OS tenor, and I couldn't wait to sell it. I believe it is with it's fourth owner, and she seems satisfied, cause all she does is strum in 1st position and sing. A friend once had a nice koa OS concert for many years, but she quickly sold it to get a Martin.
You couldn't give me a Lanikai, unless I was looking for kindling.
See Mims Ukes, and go from there. Kalas, Ohanas, even Caramel will serve you much better.

Top Bottom