6-string uke VS 8-string uke?

Tuana Torres Kahele usually tunes his g c"c' e' a'a

Very nice video - very nice player! Great with the right hand and love the thumb fretting on the left hand.

Where you place your octave strings (above or below) depends a lot on how you play - in other words a personal choice.

When I see this tuning, I don't necessarily think of Hawaiian music, though it obviously works well for that. I look at it as a Cuatro tuning with high octaves on the 3rd & 1st. We once offered string sets for almost every imaginable combination for 6 & 8 stringers. I may have to give this one a second thought. It can work for Jazz, Latin and other music as well.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
I have a Kamaka 8 string Lili'u and I find i a bit difficult to play. I just added to the collection with a 6 string KoAloha Imaikalani Tenor and I love it, especially for Hawaiian music. Actually, it is best with Hawaiian music. Pops put the action very low and it is a breeze to play. It has that crystal clear Bell like KoAloha sound-- almost angelic. It really is like a combination concert/tenor.

18058226_10210618186745444_5507812486559129091_n.jpg

Very nice video - very nice player! Great with the right hand and love the thumb fretting on the left hand.

http://youtu.be/S9ssL7mYIpM

Where you place your octave strings (above or below) depends a lot on how you play - in other words a personal choice...

It can work for Jazz, Latin and other music as well.

I like for accompanying English Trad song. I quite often use a capo on 2 for D-tuning. It gives an even brighter sound

On a tenor 6 string is string 1 usually the. Low A?

I think the quote in the post immediately above yours answers your question. It's a matter of personal preference depending on how you play.

Id stick with the four strings.. the 6 and 8 strings won't get much playing time, yes also Id Like to say the cheaper ones will even get less playing time...

Id stick with the four strings.. the 6 and 8 strings won't get much playing time, yes also Id Like to say the cheaper ones will even get less playing time...

The 6 & 8 strings are becoming my go to instruments. They suit the music I play. It's a matter of personal preference.

My 6-string has a lush, rich sound. Strumming only for me. My fingerpicking is not so much even on 4 strings. Plus it's easier to tune than an 8-string.

Where you place your octave strings (above or below) depends a lot on how you play - in other words a personal choice.

When I see this tuning, I don't necessarily think of Hawaiian music, though it obviously works well for that. I look at it as a Cuatro tuning with high octaves on the 3rd & 1st. We once offered string sets for almost every imaginable combination for 6 & 8 stringers. I may have to give this one a second thought. It can work for Jazz, Latin and other music as well.

Thanks for posting!

Can you say a little more about string placement? What are the playing variables which would affect string order?

The 6 & 8 strings are becoming my go to instruments. They suit the music I play. It's a matter of personal preference.

Ditto this. My 8-string has been my go-to instrument for about a decade now. Many other ukes (and other instruments) have come and gone (well, a lot have come, not too many have gone, LOL), but my trusty Lanikai O-8E is still my main squeeze, because it works for the music I play.

- FiL

I have a 8 string Pono that I really enjoy. It has Kamaka strings that are tuned Gg Cc EE AA. I would like to put a "low a" on it. Would I simply use a wound low g string (tuned to A) OR a wound nylon D guitar sting (tuned to A) to accomplish this? Could anyone help me with some suggestions?
Thanks....
Reno Dave

I have a 8 string Pono that I really enjoy. It has Kamaka strings that are tuned Gg Cc EE AA. I would like to put a "low a" on it. Would I simply use a wound low g string (tuned to A) OR a wound nylon D guitar sting (tuned to A) to accomplish this? Could anyone help me with some suggestions?
Thanks....
Reno Dave

You could, but you might have to adjust the nut and/or the saddle to compensate for the much thicker string.

- FiL

Top Bottom