Season 273 is going to the dogs....

E is very allergic to dogs, so we can't have one. The sad thing is, she loves them. She overheard Ashley and me talking about this season, and she wanted to help earn a dollar for the dogs. She insisted on doing the song on the trampoline because she thought the dogs would like it better. So, here you go. The meledy arrangement was her idea.

Last edited:
I am completely teared up and full of joy over what you folks are doing here- The reckless abandon at which you folks are playing songs to save a few of the dogs at the shelter solidifies my previous notion that I truly had found the finest folks I will ever meet the day I took up the Ukulele. Thank you all for these songs. What a treasure they are in so many ways. Anyway- Round one of doting and appreciation from your host...who is totally gob-smacked at today's offerings.
Tomcat Wombat- No secret that I love the stuff you bring, and this is no exception. First out of the gates and what a charming song, new to me. Thanks for playing along mate.
Limousine Lil- Oh see- I adore Clemmie too!! I laughed so hard when I watched this this morning- made my day so much brighter. Thank you for bringing her along, she is delightful. Treats in the sound hole...telling ya.
Weegingayin- Is that a Dane? Totally distracted by how beautiful he is...but this song! Again, a soundscape for all of us to enjoy Wee. Excellent song here, off to check out Marvin Pontiac when I finish up here.
Pabrizzer- I was hoping to hear this this week, and DELIVERED. That and to me, the jingle of tags is the best percussion you could ever ask for. This is an incredible cover mate. Nicely done...can't wait to meet Max.
Pabrizzer- Oh Pa...Well done my friend. I heard this last week when Ben posted it and I have to admit I have played it about a thousand times. Totally captures why I love the guy (and I ought to enjoy him while I can), beautiful rendition here mate. And the first Lost Dog Street Band song- Nice work my friend.
Rick Henderson- Rufus handled the heck outta G! Atta boy Rick- great cover here! Can't wait to meet the rest of the pack because I know you have a few- This sure raised a smile and you know we are singing along (and howling) here in the 'Dale
Wim van Ommen- What a great song!!!! Totally new to me, but I adore it. I know that is your excellent multitracking sucking me in, but this is a gem. Excellent tune here Wim.
Pete d’Hobart- I adore songs that are normally happy transposed into minor keys...and that baritone voice is a perfect fit here. Excellent mate- I gather you are Pete, I am Dave and I am pleased to meet you my friend- thanks for playing along!
Ukeintheheartoftexas- Whenever you can bring Tom T. Hall to the Season, you are doing a great service to our fellow ukers. This is stupendous mate...Of course he wrote another one about dogs that I think I will just request now. Outstanding song choice and ukin' had me playing right along

Now back to work!

I have said for some years now that the songs find the seasonista. I looked at this song a season or two ago and didn't get to it and now it comes up for this season. Mystic stuff the seasons....

And the tunes keep dropping! I love you folks...please make sure I have gotten all your videos on the playlist. These are so great. So so great.
Randy- You are a treasure my friend...The accompaniment here raised a smile you would have to knock off my face. Great stuff as always mate, and what a great pick on it. I have a thing for freak shows of the past.
Randy- I am so glad you stayed up all night drawing this for us because it is a delight...what a great little song here. Melissa and Ollie wanna know what kind of dog sleeps on the floor?
Linda- OMG!!!! I wanna pick up Daisy and cuddle her all night! What a wonderful song here, and so well delivered (as usual), and the DOG! What a cutie patootie! I am smitten.
BEVOMU- HOLY CRAP! This rules on like ten levels...I wish I had a winner this week but we will all have to settle with everyone winning. WHAT A SONG CHOICE! WHAT A DELIVERY...and so glad you are back. Thanks for playing me and my furry friends a song. This made my day.
Recovering Bassist- WHAT A SONG! This is new to me, and as are you- welcome to the party mate...what an entrance you made! Great song, and some great playing to boot. Impressed here for sure.
One Man and his Uke- Oh lord- you are right, this is the funniest film ever made, and way to deliver the song! I may be a dyed in the wool rescue the mutt kind of guy, but I prefer my mutts with a touch of terrier. Excellent song choice here mate!
Ukuleledaddy- No denying the bromance. Brought my favorite kids, my favorite dogs that ain’t mine, my favorite swearin’ like a sailor uke player and beer drinking buddy…and my favorite song right now. We’ll dance in the ashes as the sky scrapers burn mate.
Ukuleledaddy- William and Isobel. Isobel was my first rescue, and I will always have them now. I do miss those too greatly. Glad that I have two new clowns for my videos and sing-a-longs…but yeah. Wine Country ANIMAL lovers (because cats), but you did a great job here playing for my old friends. Thanks mate.
Linda- SALTY DOG!!!! Yes! It is here, and we are smiling and playing along. It might be said at the end of the day that the Cloverdale Kid is a Salty Dog- might be why I love this song so. For the record- you KILLED it.
Linda- Hahahahaha- What a great song! Ollie is half Shar-Pei and he perked up immediately. Another fantastic contribution to the season!

$20 lighter...that is a few beers- Lets see if we can get me $200 lighter gang!

And part three. Thanks folks for today, because when I think about the lives we can save together my heart grows wings. Really, I would have made the donation anyway...but having you guys playing your hearts out and doing such great songs, well, my heart has wings right now. Truly the best of the best. Part three of the session- can't wait to see what else we get.
Tootler- Another I have not heard, and that is a joy in itself...nicely done Tootler- you are a treasure and I am at the ready for everything you can bring mate.
GNUF 17 CREW (Mike F, Steve, Alan, Myrna, Paul and Michael)- OH MY GOODNESS. This is like a collection of my favorite people I have never met. My mind is blown, I need a tissue, and I love you guys. Thanks for bringing this for the week. I am smiling so hard my face hurts.
Turtledrum- What an exquisite song you have played for us. No secret I adore how you play, but this is special- I call me little girl blue because I went and gave her a name that was too long. Blue and I are mesmerized by this here.
The Martins- E is spot on...Funny thing, I am allergic to them as well. When the doctor told my mom she said "where can we send him?" I was made to be a dog guy I reckon. Anyway...this is a pure delight right here my friend.
Ukeintheheartoftexas- SALTY DOG AGAIN!!!! Man do I love this song...Excellent rendition here Alan, loving that Banjo more and more every time!
Pabrizzer- I think most folks in the states would not know a kelpie if it sat in their favorite chair (They would not know a UTE either but I restored Falcons for four years in the summer)- what a tune this is mate. Beautifully played, and thanks for the introduction to it because it is a dog song through and through.
Ukuleledaddy- Hahahahahahahahaha- WHAT A SONG! Excellent stuff here, of course you are buying the first round now next week, just sayin'. I am SKINT. ;)
Jazzbanjorex- Now that is the stuff! Wait- where is the dog? I reckon he will be here before too long...excellent rendition here mate. Great singing and Uke-ing of course, but also the arrangement. Great stuff!
Recovering Bassist- I have to admit I told my dad the theme early so he could play one with me, because he is the reason I am a dog guy (Apple- Tree), and this was the first one he came up with. I remembered it from being plastered to the red vinyl in my mom’s old Ford LTD, and it makes me smile ear to ear someone else did as well. Excellent song here mate.

$25 lighter...Keep them coming folks!

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of time with my canine companions.
Can't believe how few photos I have of two of my favourite faithful friends. Remember when photos cost money?
Kelly was a Belgium shepherd - we got her from the pound (which is what we call a dog shelter I guess).
She was so radical for the first month or so but became a beloved family member over many years.
The photo with the little Suzuki 4x4 is taken in 1978.
Yappa was a kelpie given to us a a pup by a local farmer.
He was my constant hunting companion - able to bail up a wild pig by himself. A wonderful buddy with whom I spent many hours.
I'll add a little vid of our current Max. We got him from some neighbours who could not take him to the retirement village they moved to. When he is cut he looks like a snobby poodle - when he's not he looks a bit like a little bear.

IMG_20170508_114146.jpgIMG_20170508_114212.jpgIMG_20170508_114653.jpgIMG_20170508_114319.jpg

Last edited:
This is a song from the last Procol Harum studio album, which was in 2003.

When I was six, I asked my father for a dog. He said I wasn't old enough to take care of one. I asked how old I would have to be to have a dog. He said eleven. He was pissed that I remembered this conversation when I was eleven. He still didn't let me have a dog.

Hello Seasonistas!

This is my first post in a month, but for good reason. I've been on vacation, on holiday, in a remote corner of Indonesia which had even worse internet connectivity that here in Myanmar. I got to spend the last month in North Sulawesi, Indonesia. I toured by motorbike the northernmost peninsula of that island once known as Celebes. I had a great time, even though I didn't bring a uke with me. Anyways, making travel videos is right up there with making ukulele videos in terms of things I love, so if you'd like to check out my vids from what was a remarkable trip, click here. I'm only halfway done with making the vids for On the Go in Manado, so there's more to come.

Dog week. Well, to be honest, dogs haven't been on my list of favorite animals these last few weeks. At least not the dogs I run into most often here in Yangon, semi-wild street dogs. While I was away, I left the care of my beloved cat Badger in the hands of my downstairs neighbors. Badger likes hanging out at their place, as he is friendly towards all creatures, even dogs. Well, his friendliness got him in some trouble. He got mauled by a street dog. Viciously so. There I was on holiday getting a message that my cat couldn't walk and might die due to this dog attack. Many thanks to my neighbor, my neighbor's cat, who lead the humans to the place where Badger was hiding after being attacked, and the local veterinarian. Badger is okay, but you'll see the dog bite marks in this video.

No dogs, but a dog bite.

As for the song, it's from a project called "Temple of the Dog" released in 1991. If you're not familiar, it was a tribute to the lead singer of Mother Love Bone, Andrew Wood, who died at a young age. He was often called "The Dog". The band included what I consider to be the two best male vocalists of my generation: Chris Cornell of Soundgarden and friend of the ukulele, Eddie Vedder. My rendition could never come close to the powerful harmonies of the original version, which I invite you to check out here.

Inhospitable weather has put the trip to the summerhouse on the back burner,
So here is some old footage of walking the dog along a lupin path, in better weather.
The term rain dog refers to a dog that's outside in the rain, and all the scents
are washed away by water, so it has no idea how to get home.
And that is how many people are. A tom Waits song done Tango style.

Not strictly speaking about a dog, but it kind of fits. Gilbert O'Sullivan still tours and writes regularly, but in the UK at least, his heyday was in the 70s. I don't think this is his best lyric, but I reckon it's still a great song. Stand by for state of the art visual effects at the end, complete with creaky floorboard.

When I saw the title of this week's Season, I thought: "How odd the expression to go to the dogs is! - It implies things are heading in an awful direction. Poor dogs! What bad press this phrase has given them.

That thought in my mind, I went to bed last night and woke up this morning with an idea for turning yesterday's thought into a song. So, here you go, hot off the press, so to speak, my latest opus entitled "Cats & Dogs" - in which two old friends meet up and find they are no longer as compatible as when they were young; as evidenced by their different attitudes to the animals in the title.

Lyrics in subtitles and chords & lyrics int he Youtube description.

Top Bottom