Season 273 is going to the dogs....

Guess who is smiling to be $40 lighter? This guy! Still working hard on this end and loving every minute of the sounds you folks have brought for us this week...what a showing so far.
Before I get to more comments- Wee, that was a great narrative- how do you find this stuff and Linda- you are not sick!
OK- Back to what I was doing...got sidetracked.
Weegingayin- Sorry to hear your tripped is on hold, but that means we get this, so I selfishly applaud the lousy weather. Great re-imagining of this tune remarkably well executed here, and all set to one of my favorite views…a dogs tail, a leash, a path, and a new adventure. Perfect
One Man and His Uke- TOTALLY a dog song, and a brilliant one to boot! Thanks for the introduction...I had never heard this before but I sure do like it. Slow fade out for the WIN!!!! Excellent stuff here
Berni- Hahahaha- I was implying that the wheels were falling off because I was allowed to host again ;) This is a great song here though and captures exactly why I like dogs so much (I have to say the cat is summed up pretty well too- mine would be out the door if I didn't feed her at precisely 6pm). The dialogue here between the cat and dog is so great- nice song as always mate.
Pabrizzer- Love when we get a Paoriginal hot out the oven! Great song here mate. Why I like 'em more than most people ;) Great tune here and perfect words
Limousine Lil- What a song! One I had not heard yet- nice addition to the week and well, there is my Ukulele! You ever giving that back? Lovely tune here, thanks for bringing it. Great pictures too
Tommy- LOVE this. Great dog song, and one that did not even occur to me. Such a delight to see what folks come up with- Great work on it...I may take the high road someday and name a dog Arrow.
Jodi- Yep- never heard this one before, but what a good dog song. What a really good dog song. DIg the chords you figured for it as well, sounds just right. This is one I will be adding to my playlist. Why do all the great dog songs get so sad at the end?
Rick- (Greenie...BigKingVelour) Atta boy Rick- great pick for the season! If dogs run free, why not me? Love the whole vibe of this and was indeed surprised. Nicely done little tune mate! Had me seeing double and rocking back and forth

FIFTY SONGS IN TWO DAYS???
At this rate my canine friends over at Wine Country Animal Lovers are getting the Filet Mignon, and I am getting Schaffer instead of Lagunitas...Oh well, what fun I am having watching you folks play!
RANDY- YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! I love this so much it is making my face hurt. Loved this show, and Hong Kong Fooey, and all that was Saturday morning. You did such a great job delivering this one. HUGE SMILE
Gina- Hi Luna! First, I love that you bought her a tiny Ukulele!!! What fun here- she is so darn cute just sitting there watching. Charming as can be right here- perfect. Excellent song to bring us
Recovering Bassist- YAY!!!! Another cartoon song, and you really did a great job with it. More huge, face hurting smiles coming from Cloverdale on this one! Hi Rayna- Yay for rescue dogs! I have one that hates the rain too…darn dog has a raincoat. Great video here mate
Ukeintheheartoftexas- Welcome back Domino! War Dog History is a really fascinating bit of our story, one that has always compelled me (and is often very sad). Looking at a picture of Sgt. Stubby as I type. What a great bring here- it’s OK that is a sad one-so many of these are. Excellent stuff

BEVOMU- YES!!! Time to RAWK! What a delivery here- just spot on. And a homespun dog song to boot? Excellent stuff BEV, and well, the comments on this page are well worth the price of admission for sure ;)
Rick (Hendulele)- Multiple Chihuahuas…what could be better? Look out! They are going to get up and start working at any moment. I am having so much fun with the songs people are finding, especially only ONE I was sure we would get is here. This is no exception- great one to bring for us here. And Rufus and Sammie...complete joy watching those two

Ukeintheheartoftexas- Now that is how it is done! Bring both versions, back to back, while Domino chases after whatever he may find. Another great tune here…I have a soft spot for Hank Snow for sure. Thanks for both of these.
BEVOMU- Yep. Just shut up and post the video ;). You just stay right here and keep doing what you are doing- thanks for your enthusiastic response to the Season. Another solid tune here
Ukuleledaddy- It just popped into my head that it would be really funny if I could get you to sing this song to the dog. Thant you sang it to her butt and made it exponentially funnier. There are tears streaming down my face. Thanks for this one mate- I am so amused by it. EXCELLENT.
Pabrizzer- I had you pegged as a dog guy for sure, and you are really turning up for us this week! 2 Paoriginals in one day? We are some lucky folks mate. Real beaut here, the Poo verse is making me laugh from the gut, and the bed verse? All truth. Thanks for writing this one for us mate.

Now I am going to go play a song...whew!

This is sort of a "single" version of Pink Floyd's "Dogs", cut down from 17 minutes to 5. It's a hard strum to coordinate with the singing.

I think to properly carry over a Pirate-y song, I likely should have had something stronger than sparkling water. Noted next time RUM!!!! Here is take 274 of this fun little Flogging Molly tune for Season 273. Thanks guys for all your songs, it was high time I got in on the fun.

Great theme Dave i am a dog lover alas the block i live in allows no pets so im gonna have to do a song about a dog racking my btains as to a dog i can serenade to lol but i will do a song and inlove that your gonna donate instead of prizes thats a beautiful gesturw my friend right off to work now and i shalk enter the attic this week best wishes to all seasonistas from me i guess as ive been abscent soooooo long there is folks who don't know me lucky them lol

I was going to try a heavy rock type version of 'How Much Is That Doggie In The Window', but I was beaten to it by a great version by someone else, so I went & wrote a little ditty instead - hope you like it. :)

Discovered this song when looking for dog songs. ANd it would be a crime not to share it.
Probably the best dog song ever. Love saves the day :)

Something i I happened to hear at GNUF which might have a slightly different meaning.
I love the Hedge Inspectors.

Last edited:
Dog has been Man's Best Friend for thousands of years. This song answers a question about that friend that has puzzled the sages for a similar period of time! Some songs are never claimed by anyone. This is one of them. Personally I ascribe it to the Australian Bush Poet, Henry Lawson.

A folk elergy to the southern hound dog where a good hunting dog meant meat on the table

A Poaching song.

Though illegal, poaching was widespread in the British Isles. With employment for rural labourers being both uncertain and poorly paid, many would go poaching both to supplement a meagre diet for a large family and as a source of extra income by selling their catch. If caught, the penalties were severe but the rewards were such that many were prepared to take the risk.

Poachers were dependent on their dogs. The classic poacher's dog was the Lurcher which is a cross between a female greyhound and a working dog such as a terrier or a collie. This produced a dog that was fast, intelligent and good at flushing out and fetching game - ideal for illicit activity at night. This song actually mentions a spaniel, another breed that was used for flushing out and fetching game.

There are several traditional songs about poaching, several referring to the consequences of getting caught. In this one the poachers, with their dogs managed to escape from the keeper.

Last edited:
Homer & Jethro were a country music comedy duo who did parodies of popular songs. They were also actually very accomplished musicians whose abilities spanned multiple genres.

Hellhound on My Trail - Robert Johnson

Maybe not the most flattering of song choices as it pertains to dogs, but this was the first song that popped into my head for this week. Sorry I jumped the gun on my first video. I was so excited to get that one up so I could start working on this one.

I could never play like Robert Johnson, so I've adapted this song to suit my style. For extra spooky atmosphere I added in some samples of Mr. Johnson and some other dark ambient sounds. I hope you like it.

Tomcat- I prefer excitement over following rules, no worries mate! I'll have a look at all these when it cools off- until then I played a little Roger Miller tune I had no idea existed, so that was fun. Here in the states everyone has a Labradoofus Retriever...and this song fits them perfectly. This is like a pudding head anthem! (I have had labs or mixes since I was 14 so I can say they are ninnies. Loveable ninnies, but ninnies none the less.) for my favorite Labs out there and the ones I miss-
Water Dog

Season 273. Submission 2. "Kiss Like Your Kiss" (Written and recorded by Lucinda Williams, 2011).

Whenever I pick up a uke and start singing, Jax knows it's nap time. :)

Top Bottom