Season 273 is going to the dogs....

Spot of the Antarctic (SOTU 273)

A excerpt from a Lex Barker poem... Lex Barker... Dog poem... get it?

I never expected us to have a dog. My wife had a fear of picking up animals, from when she had a rabbit as a child, and a general dislike of animals. I like cats, but not much else. So for years and years, every request for a pet from the children was met by a firm "No". Dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, lizards...No. We did cave in on a goldfish for a year or two, but that was as far as we went. And then...

We went to a family gathering, and some people there had brought their new puppy with them, a Cavachon (half Cavalier Spaniel, half Bichon Frise). A small white fluffy thing. I immediately tried to steer my daughter away, as she would have wanted one. But guess what? My wife took one look at it and said "I want one". The children were of course in full agreement, and it was me that was the dubious one. But, outvoted, it was decided that we were going to look for a boy, and he was going to be called Alfie.

A few weeks and a few sold-out litters later, we finally found a Cavachon, but a girl. So we called her Alfie anyway. Four years on, how did we ever manage without her?

As for the song, this is one I know I will never sing again. It sounds as if it was written with extra added sugar. A UK hit in 1975 for Peter Shelley (not the one who is in The Buzzcocks). And, by the way, he was the writer for Alvin Stardust, and in fact WAS Alvin Stardust for his TV debut, but then decided to stay in the background, and recruited Bernard Jewry to do it instead. Here endeth the 70s UK pop lesson.

A rare bit of sun so noodling on the balcony with whatever came into my head .
Warning 'DOG SNOG' at the end for those non doggy lovers out there.

Wes makes a guest appearance in all my videos usually albeit sometimes a paw or part of his head etc. He's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and theres no other breed that loves our species more than this breed no matter how the media portrays and demonises them .......you're more likely to get bitten by a Jack or some other wee pampered 'handbag pooch' than a Staffie
Can't wait to watch all these later, but these words rang true enough to me about the breed (well, here it is a blended type really) that I will readily defend that I had to post immediately. I have had lots of dogs in my life and worked with thousands of them-I have had wonderful relationships with dogs, but none like the relationship I have had with the two Pitbulls I that have owned me over the last fifteen years. Great truth here- thank
You for writing it.

Last edited:
Super theme, TCK. Here is a traditional song about big dogs and small dogs.

This is one written for this season. I was actually, trying to work out another song by a famous rock band but this idea for a song appeared, not sure where from. Took me a couple of days to write the song, then I thought rather than just sing it to camera, I'd make a little film. So I recorded the song directly onto Garage Band, no external mic, the sounds a bit fluttery but it's ok, then I put that onto iMovie and matched it with some drawings I did. It seems to have worked ok. I won't be doing this every week mind :D.

Interesting theme this week.
Unfortunately I bit off more than I can chew this week, and practiced a song that I didn't manage to learn.
I am going away for the weekend, won't have time to practice any more.
It is not the first time I waste time on a Robert Johnson song I can't manage. I should be wiser.
But nice songs the rest of you bring!

This song, written by Marvin Fisher and Roy Alfred, was recorded by Dean Martin and Nat King Cole in 1955.

There's this Canadian band called Duplex! that plays kid's music. (Or used to. Not sure if they're still around.)Yeah, this song is just weird. There's something about it that makes me laugh, though.

You still have to give the dogs a dollar, Dave. You never said they had to be high quality songs!. 😂

Just brought old Ollie home from Doggie Day Care and he is GASSED. Here is a dog song, complete with a snoring hound just for good measure.

Another great day of music about dogs- thanks gang! We are totally gonna break 100 today and then some I hope- here are my accolades thus far. Much love to all of you for your contributions. I am smiling with everything I have.
Pa- Well that didn't take very long did it? This is a great cover of one of my favorite Dog Songs. The feeling here is a bit different, but still just as good- This one will be the one I play before bed tonight. Sweet as Pa- thanks for stepping up with this one-fits you like a glove mate (not the growing old bit)
Geoff- This is one of very few Children's songs we have heard this week (and there are thousands)...This one being one most of us would never be able to dig up. Great little song here so well done. Nice work Geoff
RAB11- BRING IT! I am at the ready mate (sorry about the presentation)
and welcome back Rex!- Hahahahahahaha- I am distracted by that silly French Mastiff flopping in the breeze. As I said earlier, this was the first song my dad came up with and we laughed watching that old Lobo video and remembering the seventies. This is surely a great cover and a great bring for the week Rex, among so many! I am wondering if we are getting close to your record? Lets shatter it mate.
Mythinformed- I love this for lots of reasons, not excluding the kind words you had for my favorite breed of dog. Mine have all been mixes, but they are all the same in the eyes of people who see them. Thanks for being an ambassador, and challenging them to MEET one. This was lovely with the birds and the sounds and the snog at the end- Wes sure looks like a good boy. Lovely stuff- thanks for playing for us.
Wee- Hahahaha- Les Barker, yep...no that is thinking outside of the box (and perfect!). Now is this real or fictional, because it is a great set of words and it is particularly interesting the way you turned it into a fun little song for us. Excellent bring mate.
Steve- Hi Alfie! She is lovely mate, and I am glad she found her way into your wife's heart. The four days I have been without a dog in the last forty years were the toughest I have known. What a fun bit of saccharine sweet pop music here that was nowhere near my radar, perfectly delivered. Thanks for bringing it for us.
Kolibri Uker- This is such a special little song...I assume it is sung by children? In any event it sounds like a party I want to be at. Really nicely played and definitely something we would not have thought of- thank you for playing it for us!
And Rex! Today is the day of kid songs! YAY!!!! I loved this one when I was little and we had the Hippie lady with the autoharp at school. Hippie lady with autoharp day was my favorite part of the week. Excellent addition to your growing playlist for this week- thanks for the enthusiasm for sure mate!
Wim- Another great cover from these folks- I have got to check them out. You have certainly been a great ambassador for their thing this week- thanks for bringing another, and again, the multi is flawless. Nice work.

OK- Off to feed Ollie and Annie, but I will be back in a Jiffy!
IMG_5680.jpg

Last edited:
Mythinformed- I love this for lots of reasons, not excluding the kind words you had for my favorite breed of dog. Mine have all been mixes, but they are all the same in the eyes of people who see them. Thanks for being an ambassador, and challenging them to MEET one. This was lovely with the birds and the sounds and the snog at the end- Wes sure looks like a good boy. Lovely stuff- thanks for playing for us.
Cheers Dave, It was a good excuse to showcase Wes and his breed. I'll try and get something more uke related in over the weekend Lol

And we made it! $103 going to my friends over at Napa County Animal Lovers, and all I had to do was ask you fine folks to entertain me for a week- this is the BEST. Thanks again for all these- hoping you still have a few left in you!
One man and his Uke- WOW! This is TOP SHELF mate! Perfect performance of a great song that you took the time to write for us, and then the artwork...If I tried to do something like this it would take me a month, and at the end of it I would wish I had been eaten by a devil dog. Great bring- thanks for the effort here mate. SUper cute ending!
Randy- And there it is- song 100 (YAY!!!!!). Huge Dean Martin fan here, I once snuck into the Riviera and up to the stage he once sang on just to sit there. The Riv is at the end of it's road at this time, and so was the scantily clad "performer" who told me I could not be there. "but I am here" "You know what I mean" Anyway- this is far more charming and delightful than my one and only trip to Las Vegas was- love this.
The Martins- Hahahahaha- You guys are priceless. Where did you find this gem? Love the monotone delivery because I have a feeling it took everything you had not to burst into laughter…at least until the end. Perfect.
Ukulele Extra Cheese- The stuff you guys are coming up with astonishes me...another totally off the radar (I had no idea Three DOg Night had more than one sog ;)), and I found my self swaying along with your smooth delivery. I dig the obvious fun you are having just playing us a song here. Great stuff here
TCK- Keep working at it mate. You will get it at some point. Way to keep your chin up.

Off to play a song with my dogs!
IMG_5062.jpg

Try as I might, after a day at Puppy School, old Blue was not really into helping me out with this one. While my donations are going to the best rescue in our area this week, and that is where we got Oliver...Annabelle is the queen of my heart. Ollie is mommies dog.
Here is one specifically for my little girl. The first time I played this for her is likely my favorite video ever. Why not play it for her again? You all have seen her anyway I am sure.

This song needs to be in this Season. This is "The Dog Song" by Nellie McKay.

Here's dollar number two for today.
It's a song by The Wiggles called Little Dingo .....

Our neighbours barking dogs have been driving us insane - you can just hear them in the background a little.

Oh, and no, I'm not wearing a tie - it's my newly arrived T-Shirt from TurtleDrum and that's the neck of what I reckon is a baritone ukulele 'drawn' with lots of little music notes. Thank you Linda!

Last edited:
Top Bottom