Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best strings for a Baritone?

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Is everyone on this thread tuning their baritones the same way? DGBE?
    Mostly, yes: fleas tunings, rather than fifths. There are a number of previous threads that address fifths tuning on baris. To find them, try using this Google search string:
    site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com fifths tuning baritone

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    Sooo ... what position on the bari should I use for each of the classical strings? That is, does the B go at the bari's #2, the G at the bari's #3 ... etc ... or what?
    Due to the difference in scale between guitar and bari, think of the bari as a guitar capoed at the 5th fret, so compare against guitar pitches a fourth higher: ADGCEA, the typical guilele tuning. This is why if you want linear C tuning, you can just use the top four strings of a standard guitar set. Linear G tuning most closely matches the inner four pitches at the guitar's 5th fret (5th to 2nd strings)(A)DGCE(A) vs DGBE. So you'd shift guitar 5th (A) to bari 4th (D), guitar 4th (D) to bari 3rd (G) and so forth. Does that make it clearer?
    Last edited by ubulele; 05-18-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    These are very good, my go to string set. Another set that some guitar shops carry are D'Addarios titanium baritone set. The Aquila Reds are a set I have just recently installed on one of my baritones and I like them a lot.
    Never thought I would live to see downupdave praise Aquila red.
    They are my favourite! It goes well on everything except Koa!
    Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    Never thought I would live to see downupdave praise Aquila red.
    They are my favourite! It goes well on everything except Koa!
    Sorry to brake your heart darling but they are no longer on the baritone. They were nice sounding but I found some florocarbon that sound better on that instrument. I will try the Reds again on other instruments. The new smooth finish has won me over, I always liked the sound but not the old texture.

I might try these Reds on my Giannini baritone.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 05-19-2017 at 02:34 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    Due to the difference in scale between guitar and bari, think of the bari as a guitar capoed at the 5th fret, so compare against guitar pitches a fourth higher: ADGCEA, the typical guilele tuning. This is why if you want linear C tuning, you can just use the top four strings of a standard guitar set. Linear G tuning most closely matches the inner four pitches at the guitar's 5th fret (5th to 2nd strings)—(A)DGCE(A) vs DGBE. So you'd shift guitar 5th (A) to bari 4th (D), guitar 4th (D) to bari 3rd (G) and so forth. Does that make it clearer?
    I just experimented and found that I liked the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th classical guitar strings on my baritone (tuned DGBE). Ubulele does a much better job at explaining why it works!
    Soprano: Laughlin 2K | Late 20s Martin Style 0 | Gold Label Kamaka | Early 20s Lyon & Healy Washburn | Ohana SK-25

Concert: 16" Ono | Talsma Style 3 | Howlett Ditson | Blackbird Clara | Ono Pineapple | KoAloha | VW Flea

Baritone: LoPrinzi | Bonanza #38

Quote Originally Posted by WCBarnes View Post
    I just experimented and found that I liked the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th classical guitar strings on my baritone (tuned DGBE). Ubulele does a much better job at explaining why it works!
    Any particular classical guitar strings you favor for baritone use?
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Guadalupe baritone strings are excellent.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Any particular classical guitar strings you favor for baritone use?
    I use the complete set of Thomastik-Infeld Classic N CF128 that ubulele mentioned.
    D = CF35
    G = CF30
    B = CF27
    E = CN31

Strings 2-4 are all wound. The only unwound nylon string is the 1st (E) string. I know many don't like wound strings and balk at having three of them, but I really like the sound and feel. I find it very balanced (kind of like having a wound 3rd string on a concert or tenor). I have a set of Oasis GPX classical guitar strings to try next, but as ubulele also mentioned, these strings last a lot longer than traditional baritone strings, so I haven't had to change them yet. The Oasis will need to be pretty special to replace the T-I long term.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    Guadalupe baritone strings are excellent.
    Those are right behind the Oasis on my list to try! I need to stop by your shop one of these days when I am in Bloomington and pick up a set of both the DGBE and GCEA strings.
    Soprano: Laughlin 2K | Late 20s Martin Style 0 | Gold Label Kamaka | Early 20s Lyon & Healy Washburn | Ohana SK-25

Concert: 16" Ono | Talsma Style 3 | Howlett Ditson | Blackbird Clara | Ono Pineapple | KoAloha | VW Flea

Baritone: LoPrinzi | Bonanza #38

Thread Information