Best strings for a Baritone?

These are very good, my go to string set. Another set that some guitar shops carry are D'Addarios titanium baritone set. The Aquila Reds are a set I have just recently installed on one of my baritones and I like them a lot.

Never thought I would live to see downupdave praise Aquila red.
They are my favourite! It goes well on everything except Koa!

Never thought I would live to see downupdave praise Aquila red.
They are my favourite! It goes well on everything except Koa!

Sorry to brake your heart darling but they are no longer on the baritone. They were nice sounding but I found some florocarbon that sound better on that instrument. I will try the Reds again on other instruments. The new smooth finish has won me over, I always liked the sound but not the old texture.

I might try these Reds on my Giannini baritone.

Last edited:
Due to the difference in scale between guitar and bari, think of the bari as a guitar capoed at the 5th fret, so compare against guitar pitches a fourth higher: ADGCEA, the typical guilele tuning. This is why if you want linear C tuning, you can just use the top four strings of a standard guitar set. Linear G tuning most closely matches the inner four pitches at the guitar's 5th fret (5th to 2nd strings)—(A)DGCE(A) vs DGBE. So you'd shift guitar 5th (A) to bari 4th (D), guitar 4th (D) to bari 3rd (G) and so forth. Does that make it clearer?

I just experimented and found that I liked the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th classical guitar strings on my baritone (tuned DGBE). Ubulele does a much better job at explaining why it works!

I just experimented and found that I liked the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th classical guitar strings on my baritone (tuned DGBE). Ubulele does a much better job at explaining why it works!

Any particular classical guitar strings you favor for baritone use?

Any particular classical guitar strings you favor for baritone use?

I use the complete set of Thomastik-Infeld Classic N CF128 that ubulele mentioned.
D = CF35
G = CF30
B = CF27
E = CN31

Strings 2-4 are all wound. The only unwound nylon string is the 1st (E) string. I know many don't like wound strings and balk at having three of them, but I really like the sound and feel. I find it very balanced (kind of like having a wound 3rd string on a concert or tenor). I have a set of Oasis GPX classical guitar strings to try next, but as ubulele also mentioned, these strings last a lot longer than traditional baritone strings, so I haven't had to change them yet. The Oasis will need to be pretty special to replace the T-I long term.

Guadalupe baritone strings are excellent.

Those are right behind the Oasis on my list to try! I need to stop by your shop one of these days when I am in Bloomington and pick up a set of both the DGBE and GCEA strings.

These are very good, my go to string set. Another set that some guitar shops carry are D'Addarios titanium baritone set. The Aquila Reds are a set I have just recently installed on one of my baritones and I like them a lot.

Jake Wilwood recommended and included a set of D'addario titanium baritone strings with a recent purchase of a used redwood/ mahogany Oceana baritone. I finally put them on, replacing the well used Martin FC strings. The D'Addarios titanium strings did just with their label said. they made it "warm and bright". They were a big improvement over the Martin strings. The volume definitely increased too. I definitely prefer these D'Addarios titaniums to the Martin FC strings.

Jake Wilwood recommended and included a set of D'addario titanium baritone strings with a recent purchase of a used redwood/ mahogany Oceana baritone. I finally put them on, replacing the well used Martin FC strings. The D'Addarios titanium strings did just with their label said. they made it "warm and bright". They were a big improvement over the Martin strings. The volume definitely increased too. I definitely prefer these D'Addarios titaniums to the Martin FC strings.

I have a Southcoast set on my Mainland bari tuned high D, but may try the Titaniums. BUT.... you bought the Oceana! I saw it on the Antebellum site and was giving it serious consideration. Congrats! It's a beauty. Other than strings, how do you like it?

Edited to add: Silly me! :eek: Doc_J posted a sound sample of his Oceana in a previous thread, and even credited me for bringing it to his attention. You're welcome, Doc_J.

Sorry for the digression. Carry on with string talk! :)

Last edited:
I have a Southcoast set on my Mainland bari tuned high D, but may try the Titaniums. BUT.... you bought the Oceana! I saw it on the Antebellum site and was giving it serious consideration. Congrats! It's a beauty. Other than strings, how do you like it?

Edited to add: Silly me! :eek: Doc_J posted a sound sample of his Oceana in a previous thread, and even credited me for bringing it to his attention. You're welcome, Doc_J.

Sorry for the digression. Carry on with string talk! :)

Thank you again. When I heard Jake's sound sample and read his endorsement, the Oceana bari was irresistible, and I wasn't even looking for another baritone. I really enjoy my redwood/mahogany Oceana baritone. Will have to post another sound sample with the D'addario titanium strings. While I thought it sounded terrific as played with the Martin strings, it sounds even better with the D'addario. The ukulele itself is incredibly light and very responsive with great tone. Physically, it's an unassuming instrument, well constructed with modest adornments (unbound flat fretboard, binding only on the top, and a satin finish with a fair number of unfilled pores in the mahogany). It's a true players instrument. I never thought I'd sell my Pono spruce/ebony Pro Classic baritone, until I got this Oceana. It's very comfortable and playable, and is my favorite baritone. There should be more folks playing an Oceana uke by Zac Steimle.

I have just purchased a new Caramel CB 103 direct, following favourable YouTube reviews. Southern Ukulele store suggested Kamaka Baritone strings and am delighted with their warmth. Have been used to a Tenor re-entrant GCEA tuning I am awaiting a set of Guadalupe hand wound, also having had fab reviews. Any other thoughts out there?

Top Bottom