Greetings from Los Angeles!

josheboy

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

I'm Josh, a new uke player from that vast expanse & suburban sprawl just north of LA called "The Valley". I've been playing guitar off and on for years, but since I was self taught and mostly ear-taught, my music theory knowledge is terrible. I try to learn it on guitar, but since I learned by myself, the bad habits and weird labels I taught myself make it very difficult. So I've been in a playing/learning rut for a while.

Enter my 20 month old son. He LOVES my guitar, so I bought him a little uke to play with me. He loves it so much when I play it, and I've discovered that I love playing it as well, so I've decided to learn how to actually play it. Then a thought occurred to me: Why not learn how to play the uke and learn proper music theory at the same time! The instruments are different enough that most of my bad habits wont cross over, but yet they're similar enough that the music I learn on the uke can easily be translated to my guitar.

So here I am, a new UU+ member and already getting familiar with the instrument via the 101 videos. I am also self-studying the Circle of 5ths and Major and Minor scales in more detail (rather than just memorizing the finger patterns). One week into this new routine, I am already making some significant strides of progress, and I am having a blast doing it!

I'm currently playing a Luna Concert, but my fingers are having a hard time with some chords, so I ordered a Gretsch Tenor to hopefully help out with that.

UU seems like a very very cool place. I'm looking forward to this musical journey with you all.

Cheers!

Josh

Welcome josheboy, I think you will like this site. Lot's of good info and lot's of good people. Enjoy the journey!

Greetings and welcome, glad you joined us.

Welcome Josh. Before playing uke about 4 years ago, I played guitar for almost 50 years and like you, I didn't develop any music knowledge, but since playing the uke, and also bass uke, I've learned more than all the time I spent on guitar. I actually haven't touched my guitars since.

I might suggest you join a local uke group, there are a few in the valley. I find the group experience to prompt me to play more, especially because we gig often.

Welcome to UU!

Aloha Josh. You should find lots of information, instruction and numerous time wasting threads on this forum. I was formerly incarcerated in the Valley, (Vintage St Elementary, Porter JHS, Monroe HS, and CSUN) making my final escape in 1976. Like you, I played around on Guitar for a few decades but The uke has been instrumental (ha) in helping make actual music. I bought my first guitar and banjo at C&D Music on Sepulveda BLVD and still have the guitar after 43 years. I Still have an affinity for small Mom & Pop music stores and have been lucky to purchase most of my ukes from small stores. You might want to check out the LA Ukulele Festival in Torrence in September. It looks like great fun.

Another Josh posting from the Valley!

Greetings Josh!

This is another Josh(ua) living in The Valley!
Let's connect and uke out!

Cheers,

joshua m

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Kohanmike: I looked around on the forum for groups, but I'm not seeing them. Am I missing something?

KanePono: Thanks for the suggestion! That looks fun. I think I'll go for sure this year :)

Joshua m: Hey hey! I'm in Panorama City. I'd be happy to uke jam sometime, but I need some more time to get more used to the uke first, lol. Otherwise it would be more of a wreck than a jam.

My Gretsch Tenor came in. I got a G9120-SK and I'm really digging it. The neck is perfect for my left hand, and it's a very pretty and good sounding instrument. Here is a pic of it:

attachment.php

Cheers, everyone!

Panorama City?

You are a bike ride away from where we live.
Let's jam when you are ready.

Cheers!

Welcome to UU Josh and son :)

Top Bottom