Best Strings for Older 5-string Concert Ukulele

Citabria

Reaction score
Hi! There are SO many strings and I'm afraid if I order the ones that are "best" for a tenor ukulele I might torque or otherwise demolish this older ukulele. I wanted to use hi G/low G then CEA. I almost ordered the TI CF30 and CF27 then a set of D'Addario Pro-Arte concert carbon strings. However, I realized that I am just guessing based on multiple readings of UU suggestions. And disaster might strike! I'd appreciate any help and suggestions. Thank you:) PS I am new at doing my own strings, but bet you already guessed that, ha!

Not enough specifics about your 5 string. No one string set sounds the same on all ukes. More details may get you the answer you are looking for. With some string makers, the soprano and concert size strings are the same, with others, not so much. I'd suggest a decent set of fluorocarbon reentrant concert size strings with a single low g string. EAsier to get a single low g than a single high G.

Thank you for your suggestion! That makes sense. Re: "more details"...the concert ukulele is own its way here and it has "Kelii" written in really tiny print on headstock under warrior helmet. I think it's koa and the fretboard looks darker than koa but very worn. 5 tuners. Concert. One of those black plastic dials with numbers embedded in its side (is that a "pick up"? I do not know about those...having never had one...). The wood is very pretty with no cracks. Maybe it's from the '90's? I'm guessing based on stuff I've read (mostly on this site; thanks to everyone!).

Kelii is a quality uke brand, if you got a good deal, nice score. Don't be hasty when it arrives, may want to exercise care refurbishing this one as it's likely worth it. I couldn't find a 5 string, but there are youtube videos of a Kelii concert. There is some controversy when at some point, at least in part, they were made in China. Again, Google will quickly get you what info there is if you haven't looked already. Some other UU members are much more familiar with them than I am. Good luck.

Good to know! It says "Kelii Ukulele ... Made in Hawaii..." and I think a phone number on very worn label inside sound hole. I'll be careful when I get it, as you cautioned and thanks, again:)

Top Bottom