Any string suggestions for a kanilea gl6 k1?

dwh

Reaction score
Recently acquired a Kanilea gl6 k1 and am wondering if any of you have found some strings that really work well with the instrument I like the Kanilea set, but it would be nice to experiment a little.

When I had a GL6, I found the Kanile'a set to work best for me. Other sets I tried had too much tension, but this us pretty much just a question of preference. Alex of SUS did a write-up on his GL6 string experiments: http://www.ukulele.co.uk/gl6strings/

Thanx Mivo!
I read that review earlier. It seems he tried a few sets. Some are not cheap. I would like to try some recommended strings without going through some that don't work well. What other sets did you try?

Besides the Kanile'a strings, I tried the Folk Nylons, the Aquila Ambras and a subset of the EJ45 classical guitar set by d'Addario. I should mention that Alex, when I bought the GL6 from SUS, recommended the Folk Nylons above other strings, and he liked the tension (they look like the Kanile'a strings but don't have the same tension). For me, it was too high (higher than Aquila Reds on a baritone or tenor), but this shows how differently people interpret what is low, normal or high tension. If you are experimenting, I'd start with the strings that are easiest to get.

My only problem with the Kanilea strings was that I didn't like the C string too much. I would have preferred it to be wound and think it would have sounded better. I didn't experiment with wound alternatives, though.

Top Bottom