Popping Aquila Reds

Well, they must still be popular. Just ordered a set from Strings By Mail, and they are backordered.....

If they have the Carbonblacks, you can get those as they are identical with the latest revision of the Reds, except for the color. Mimmo posted this some time ago and was so kind to send me a set of Carbonblacks so I could compare. Yes, they sound and feel the same as Reds made in 3/2017. Great strings! I find it very hard now to use anything else, it's a unique tone. For me, these are the best strings. (I do recommend to tie them to the tuners as shown in
Mimmo's video.)

I've strung 2 tenors with reds over the last 3 months and both have had the C string break between the nut and the tuner. Too bad, as I really like the strings.

I watched the Mimmo video where he shows how to install the Reds. It seems he holds the string out of the nut slot while initially tightening, which I assume prevents any abrasion which may lead to weakening/snapping. However, when the string gets tighter, he does not lift it out of the slot while tightening. Also, I noticed that he stretches the strings by hand during the process, which others have said is not good for new strings.

I've strung 2 tenors with reds over the last 3 months and both have had the C string break between the nut and the tuner. Too bad, as I really like the strings.

I hate to state the obvious, but if the string(s) snap between the nut and the tuner it can only be because the tension at this point is too high, implying, to me, that the string in question has jammed in the nut and been stretched beyond it's limits whilst trying to get it in tune.

If the string snapped AT the nut or the tuner one might suggest a sharp edge on the one or other.

YMMV :)

I have not had good luck with them, though others have. there are so many string choices out there now, why deal with fussy strings?

Top Bottom