Popping Aquila Reds

Ive read SO MUCH about this over time. Interestingly enough...after multiple sets on multiple ukes, I can say I have never had a single one over the last year ever break. I dont do anything special when installing them, the same as every other uke so Im not sure why some have issues and some do not.

C was the one that snapped on my Cocobolo pineapple. I was so careful to tune it up slowly, lifting up gently at the nut as shown on numerous videos so as not to stress the string on the nut. Still, after about a week... "zing went the string..." :)

Mimmo recently posted a video that showed how to tie them to the tuner post. Can't look for the video right now, but someone can probably share it. That solved the problem for me with the newer sets. I had no problems with various sets. I currently have Reds on four of my ukes.

Another vote here for "no problems" ... I've got hi-G reds on my banjolele, lo-G reds on a soprano pineapple and a concert. The soprano set has moved between at least three instruments, so plenty of winding and unwinding ... still no breakages :confused:

Similar C string breaks have occurred on new Aquila Carbon Blacks. Mine was properly tied & strung, snapping about 15mm below the tuner. This Aquila defect seems to be hit-or-miss.

I've got two ukuleles strung with reds, without a break at all since installment for 3 years (the soprano) and 4 months (the concert) resp. Yes, I'm cheap. Two different tones of red, so probably two generations of the string.

But then on another uke I used a red C-string as a replacement for a wound string that kept popping in a fluo set on a tenor. That red string snapped in the most unexpected place: right in the middle between the tuner and the nut. A place where the tension is often lower than anywhere else, and there's no friction. Good thing is that I simply tied the ends together and it's still keeping up strong, and in tune. Did I mention already that I'm cheap?

I've got two ukuleles strung with reds, without a break at all since installment for 3 years (the soprano) and 4 months (the concert) resp. Yes, I'm cheap. Two different tones of red, so probably two generations of the string.

But then on another uke I used a red C-string as a replacement for a wound string that kept popping in a fluo set on a tenor. That red string snapped in the most unexpected place: right in the middle between the tuner and the nut. A place where the tension is often lower than anywhere else, and there's no friction. Good thing is that I simply tied the ends together and it's still keeping up strong, and in tune. Did I mention already that I'm cheap?

Are you saying that your Red C string has a knot in the middle of it and you are playing it like that. Doesnt the diameter of the knot cause it to make contact with the fretboard?????

Last edited:
.... Good thing is that I simply tied the ends together and it's still keeping up strong, and in tune. Did I mention already that I'm cheap?

Clever! That would work near the tuner, if you had enough string left.

Unfortunately I trimmed my string ends after a couple days of playing.... And I didn't think about knotting the end to the string.

I tried the Aquila Reds on my soprano and concert Fleas.

First time C string broke on both ukes after a few days.

Replaced both sets, and on the soprano the high G broke, and on the concert the A broke, also after a few days.

Took remainders of each set and made new sets, and similar broken strings again a few days later.

On Fluke and Flea it uses a zerofret, and on on both ukes both zerofret and nut slots are smooth as glass, since I had previously rounded them nicely with some 4000 grit finishing paper.

Follow all of the Mimmo videos, to no avail.

Now $25 down the toilet, and lots of frustrations built up. I gave up.

I have since gone back to the Martin fluorocarbon strings, and will not be using the Aquila Reds again.

It's a shame, because they sounded and felt nice, but never lasted long enough. I don't have the budget to replace strings every week, especially with so little play time on them.

Color me sad, and disappointed. :(

The title of this thread sounds like some illicit drug!

Geez. I've been thinking of changing to a set of these on my Cocobolo and my Duke banjouke. I may just forego it. I really want to hear the tone. So far, no breakage on a set of Lavas almost a year old and played almost daily. Beat on them for 3 hours today, and 2.5 hours yesterday, they wear like iron.

I've only had breakages with the 12/2016 made set. The older ones worked fine (same instrument) and the new ones (2017 dates of manufacture) also, though with the new sets I used Mimmo's way of tying them to the tuner posts. Here's the video that he had offered (didn't link it before as I was on mobile):

I think it's very strange that some Ukers have lots of breakage, and others use the reds and love 'em with no trouble at all.

I quit using them a long time ago, though I still use Aquilas. :eek:ld:

"between the tuner and the nut"

Here's the proof, going strong since december. And on the right, the soprano has been "in tune since 2013". So the snapping thing is quite mysterious.

I do like playing Aquila Reds, they're light and loud, but they require a delicate left hand touch because they bend easily - no gorilla grips, but fast and flowing chords and melodies.

L1210093.jpgL1210094.jpg

Top Bottom