Song Help Request Notation Question and tab request

sculptor

Reaction score
I was poking around in the San Jose Ukulele Song Book. I was look at the chords of "White Sandy Beach of Hawaii" and I spotted some chords like this:

C/g

What exactly does the "/g" bit mean? I'm guessing it's an alternative chord but my confidence in this guess is fairly low...

Note, I'm developing a strong dislike of fake book style song books... because when I listen to the same songs in a recording they seem vastly different. On that note, does anybody have a tabed version of the Ballad of Serenity that they'd care to share?

Thanks

-- Gary

It's a "slash chord" where the note after the slash indicates the note for the bass to play. Generally for ukulele, you can just ignore it and play a normal C chord. Or if you like, you can use a chord voicing where the low note is a g. On a linear tuned uke (low G), this is easy - the normal 0003 is actually a C/G chord. On reentrant tuned uke, it would be a little trickier as the g needs to come on the 3rd string, so something like 0787 would work

Last week I was looking into the chords of Robert Johnsons "Hellhound on my Trail", and encountered one of those few times the bass notes makes sense on a reentrant uke. The chord progression was E, E7/d, A/c#, Am/c.
These are exactly the inversions of the chords in the first position, and the deepest node would walk down gradually as intended. But the only thing it told me was not to look for alternative inversions.

In many cases the specified bass note only affects the song significantly because of its position relative to the bass notes of the chords before and after, which you would expect to be the root of the chord if nothing else is written. If you don't make sure to play that bass note with the other chords, there is little use of going to extra length to get that one specified base note. Since most chords are inverted on an ukulele, 95% of the time you should just forget about it. If you get to play in a group with a bassist or even a guitarist, they could do the baseline.

I don't have tabs for The Ballad if Serenity, but a user RAB11 made a recording for season 269 of the ukulele, page 7 post 61. Look under ukulele contests. Perhaps he has tabs, perhaps he played it by ear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom