Duke 10 Tenor Banjo Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Very nice review. Now you have me :drool: and I'm just getting used to my 8". I had the neck filed down, which took off the nasty black paint, and side markers added. I told Ed about it, but I think he already had these ideas for the 10". I can tell that the 10" sounds better, at least to me.

Yes, much richer tone - more rounded.

I like it when brands listen to their customers and take improvements on board. All my minor gripes with the 8 inch seem to have been addressed on this one.

Thanks for writing this review. I've been looking at these for a while now.

Yes, it really is a lot of fun. I am not the worlds biggest banjo fan, but there is something about these that I like

Yes, it really is a lot of fun. I am not the worlds biggest banjo fan, but there is something about these that I like

Weight-wise, banjos are almost three tines (or more) heavier than ukuleles. That's like going from trumpet to tuba. While banjo-ukes try to emulate the banjo sound, doing so with nylon strings and an 8-inch (or smaller) head is a challenge. The Duke 10 has gotten as close to "true banjo" sound as a nylon-stringed instrument in the ukulele weight profile can be expected to do. That 10-inch head does make a difference.

Agree on all counts Steve

I agree Steve...and thanks for the review. It was for some of your reasons that I went with the Deering concert. That 11" pot really makes a difference, a much fuller sound. Sometimes though...that smaller, less full, plinky banjo sound is appealing as well so I have banjo ukes for both purposes. My 1920 Rolando sounds exactly as you would expect a flapper girl to be playing with its little jangly, plinky sounds. That can be appealing as well for certain music like ragtime.

Bumping this, sadly, as it seems that the Kickstarter is not going to meet target. Any bright ideas as I do genuinely like these a lot. A shame.

Bumping this, sadly, as it seems that the Kickstarter is not going to meet target. Any bright ideas as I do genuinely like these a lot. A shame.

So, does "donating" the $390 actually get you a real 10" banjo uke, or just the prospect of getting one if it gets made in production? I guess I'm not clear on the Kickstarter thing. Thx

Kickstarter means that you put the money down, or at least a promise of the money. If they get their total, your card gets charged and they send you the instrument. If they dont make their total, nobody gets charged. Either way - no risk to the person supporting. If they dont go into production, you dont pay.

Thanks Baz. That makes total sense. I may 'back' that because I would like a 10" banjolele. I had the Deering but it was entirely too heavy. I already have an 8" Gold Tone BUC, so a 10" would be a welcome addition.

Kickstarter means that you put the money down, or at least a promise of the money. If they get their total, your card gets charged and they send you the instrument. If they dont make their total, nobody gets charged. Either way - no risk to the person supporting. If they dont go into production, you dont pay.

http://www.dukeuke.com/
It looks like they didn't make it but ...

Everyone, including us, was so disappointed and surprised that we didn’t get the Kickstarter sales we expected for the DUKE10, but honestly, feeling miserable is just a waste of time.
All we wanted were the funds to produce the DUKE10, so it occurred to us that there may be a way of changing a loss to a win.
So here the idea.
​Forget about our launch price of US$389.
If you and 3 of your friends each buy a minimum of 4 DUKE10s we will sell you:
1 @ US$190 and 3 @ US$286ea - delivered to individual addresses.
Any additional orders will be US$286.
This is a cost-plus offer and can NEVER be repeated, made possible by our determination, with your help, to make the DUKE10 happen.
​We’ll give it a month – until July 15.
Here’s how it’ll work - to begin, email us that you’re in, (ed@dukeuke.com) and that by July 15 you’ll advise quantities to us. Then if we get the numbers (160) we’ll ask you to pay us and we’ll hit the “go” button. I’ll keep you posted on our progress.
Delivery remains unchanged at November.
We’ve made the offer mouth watering on purpose. We’ll take a profit hit but we’ll get the DUKE10 off the ground.
Over to you,
Ed

PS this offer includes all the”goodies” gig bag, adjustable strap, tension key & felt plectrum

So I contacted Ed saying that I was interested, but that so far I was a party of one - and he confirmed that I needed to get three others to join in the fun. So if you would like to be in on a Duke 10 foursome send me a PM. Baz, you interested?

So I contacted Ed saying that I was interested, but that so far I was a party of one - and he confirmed that I needed to get three others to join in the fun. So if you would like to be in on a Duke 10 foursome send me a PM. Baz, you interested?

It's about $260ish for 4 of them. I'm in Arizona. I'd be interested

It's a shame that I didn't have the ability to jump on this in the 1st place, but I haven't played my Duke all that much yet, and I can't justify another one yet.
But Ed, I hope you don't mind, I'm posting this to our TBUS facebook page to see if there's some interest. I might be able to even toss in myself, if I get a buyer for my 8" Duke (I can't have both, it's verbotten here)
Good luck!

Not personally - I already have one!

I'll be keen. I ordered one through the original kickstarter campaign but there's no way I can rustle up 3 other mates that want a banjo uke.

Top Bottom