Season 274 - The Songs Stuck In My Head

Look what's going to be happening here soon.

hofner_zpsh9zexaos.jpg

Adolph Hofner appeared in "Oh! Swing It." The Circle C Band with Carrol Sammons will be performing a bunch of his songs.

hofner_zpsh9zexaos.jpg

Adolph Hofner appeared in "Oh! Swing It." The Circle C Band with Carrol Sammons will be performing a bunch of his songs.

OH MAN!!!!!! Video please! Jimmy Revard is still out there? AWESOME

Here you go mate- I am going to make you endure over 7 minutes of my shtick because you played this song last Thursday. Almost crashed the car trying to find it again on the show coming home...but I found that sucker. Great song- thanks for the introduction to it. The Ballad of Love and Hate- Avett Brothers.
What a special song this is...I will play it better next time I reckon.

Last edited:
This is going to be a busy week for me, so I don't think I'll have time to browse through any of TCK's reggae playlists and discover new songs. I had to just go with a song I'm already familiar with. This is R.E.M.'s "Radio Free Europe", from the Going Underground podcast.

hofner_zpsh9zexaos.jpg

Dang, I am jealous! What a time that will be for sure!

It's been a bit of a busy day and I was hoping to get a vid in myself, maybe tomorrow. Good news is you all showed up and delivered in a big way today! This is tons of fun for me. There are some songs I figured, and hoped, would show up, and then there are other tunes some of you dug up which really surprised me. Thanks so much for all of this.
Here are today's comments, so far:

myrnaukulele - Whiskey In My Whiskey
What a treat. You deliver this song so sweetly, and it's really a violent and tragic song. This is just wonderful Myrna. So glad you dug this one up.

pabrizzer - I Hear Them All
I love your delivery of this tune Brian. Singing in your upper register adds a touch of sweetness. Song was written by Dave Rawlings and Ketch Secor from Old Crow Medicine Show. I played this tune on my Americana show by the same name as this song and TCK played it by Dave Rawlings Machine on his Fight Till You Die show.

One Man And His Uke - Tainted Love
This song on ukulele almost gives it a vaudeville sound. Excellent choice and cover! I wasn't sure I'd hear much soul covers this week but I'm loving everything about this. That show I played this tune on was really my own introduction to Northern Soul, of which I've become quite a fan. Can't wait to hear which reggae tune you decide to do!

wee-ginga-yin - Whiskey In My Whiskey
You put some whiskey into this song! Another cover of this great song! Your approach is wonderful. I can almost see this character stumbling towards his victim, bottle in hand. Very creative stuff here.

IamNoMan - All For Me Grog
Are you a teacher? I really appreciate the history lesson on this tune! I had no idea. Also, are you a sailor? This suits you very well. Makes we want to do a little jig while swabbing the deck.

redpaul1 - Ba Ba Boom
Happy ukulele anniversary! This is so great!! So glad to hear some Jamaican covers! And this is a personal favorite. And from a fan of the show! Many thanks for bringing this Paul. I absolutely love your vocals on this.

pabrizzer - Whiskey In My Whiskey
Looks like this is officially a thing! I love that these last three takes on this tune all have a different feeling. Your take on this is great because your delivery sounds like it's coming straight from the perp. I also can hear some regret in that low, gravel voice. Nice touch.

xommen - 99 Luftballons
Amazing! TCK played the German version on one of his shows and I played the English one on another show, now we have both versions in the seasons! Very well played and sung. I just love this. There's something in the background I can't put my finger on, whatever it is is working well with the tune. BTW, The Ukelites visited TCK and I couldn't resist crashing that party. We tried to convince them to do this song with us and they wouldn't do it!

Harry122 - Sputnik Dance
Hahaha! I love the video. Such a fun tune and I love your take on it. And you got some backup keyboards in there. Nice! This was from a doo wop show. Good times.

Recovering Bassist - Night Train To Memphis
I love this song. Great cover here. Nice little runs and solo in there. And that last note wasn't bad at all! I played this tune on the Train To Disaster show, but I also played a punk version on the very first show I ever did, which I didn't put on the list.

AlanDP - Won’t You Ride In My Little Red Wagon
You've got a hell of a whistle on you. Excellent cover of this tune, from TCK's Hank Penny show. Thanks for bringing this!

hendulele - Alcohol
Yeah! I love this tune so much. I even tried to play it once, it's not super easy. You did a great job here. TCK and I have a lot of fun throwing songs around about alcohol on the show.

TCK - The Ballad Of Love And Hate
Well I'm glad you didn't crash your car. This is something. You sing this tune like it's a part of your soul. Thanks so much for this. Messed up the ending? I didn't notice. At least you didn't drop any F-bombs. And BTW, I'm the same with this group; can't really listen a whole album but select songs really get me.

uke4ia - Radio Free Europe
So glad you did this tune Jim. I had a ton of fun putting together that show and this song had to be in there. Very good cover here. I've tried to play this song before and it didn't make it to YouTube. I really like this.

Last edited:
My early music education came from my dad's love of New Wave. The big bands like Blonde, The Cure and Simple Minds, but also the lesser known ones like Then Jerico, Blancmange and Killing Joke.

So when I had another browse through the play lists this morning and saw one of my absolute favourite songs, I dropped everything and had a quick run through. Only had time for one take but I think it turned out alright. My dad's actually coming to see me at an open mic in a couple weeks, this is going straight in the set list. Thanks Sean.

By the way, mini-RAB would like you to know he was being chased by a monster.

This is by The Teardrop Explodes

TCK just did an Avett Bros. tune from the last show I did and absolutely floored me. Here's one from TCK's last radio show called We Are In The Mood. The song is Please Stay by Paulette & The Lovers. Pushing my vocals past the limit here a bit, but it's the song that counts, right?

I got this mento thing stuck in my head right now, and this is one I played on a show called "I'm Back" on 3/5/2008, which leads me to believe I acquired the tune on 3/4 (back then I just made shows when I felt like it). It is a charming little tune about cooking a cow head and having it come to life. Really. Ten Penny Nail- Hubert Porter and his Jamaican Calypsonians.

I vacationed in Newfoundland in 1991 and stayed a night in a town called Cow Head. I found a post card with a souvenir magnet set into it at the Tete de Vache Museum:

IMG_4678.jpg

By the way, Dave, I have an original song called "Dog Head". I didn't bother to play it for last week, but I did it in Season 100: Dog Head

The right stuff - The mighty ocean alcohol.

Leave behind your worries
They're really very small
Come with me, set sail with me
On the Mighty Ocean Alcohol
I've sailed around insanity
I've heard those demons call
And once or twice, I have been capsized
On the mighty ocean Alcohol
I lost my darling brother
I watched him slowly fall
As he hit the spray
He was swept away
Leave behind your worries
They're really very small
Come with me, set sail with me

Last edited:
OH BOYS! It has been a while since we contributed to the season!
But this time we just had to!
WE JUST LOVE YOU! And Mel, of course!
Disclaimer: Ok, we had no time, there are a lot of gigs ahead, so we would have had rehearsals for a second bass player tonight. We never played in this combination before. But anyway, we said to Joschi (drums) and Alto (bass):"We JUST HAVE TO record a song for Sean and TCK! Here is beer, just one try, one take, that's it. Then we will rehearse again."
They agreed. Here we go! We are sorry because we haven't watched the videos for this season yet.
Hope we can keep up with them tomorrow. TCK's and Sean's excellent taste in music is for sure worth it! All the best from Munich!

Last edited:
From the episode "We Wanna Boogie," and continuing my own space/science theme, here's "Rockin' On The Moon." I added some synth bass.

These tunes you are all throwing into this week have me smiling from ear to ear. I have to jump in with another tune. Can't help myself.
I said in the vid that it was from the show Demon Alcohol, but it's actually from a show called The Devil And All His Sinners, pt 2, which has always been on elf my favorite shows. You folks are gonna think I'm an alcoholic.

This one was played during your Hitsville USA show. Your version by Barbara Randolph, and what a rocking version. My version, somewhat similar to the Rolling Stones, without the lips

Top Bottom