Season 274 - The Songs Stuck In My Head

Sadly I have not faded fast tonight. Here's another. I just can't help it. Love these damn songs.
Valerie. A Brothers Comatose cover of an Amy Winehouse song.

From my lifes been a pleasure repost DEc !! 2016 great Irving Berlin Song from 1936

from the one of the shows just recently added to the companion thread, "i'll be in the garage part 2" this is "makin' love" by the dirty shames

Good to hear my excavations in the archives haven't been in vain (if you haven't already noticed, I did some digging in the wayback archives and resurrected something like 80-100-odd SSMIH playlists - sadly not the George Formby one though! If couldn't find anything the first time you looked, you might just find something now)!!

Whiskey in a jar -

I couldn't get a take without mistakes but I got a new mic so it sounds better. (I hope)

Seems like there is a bit of a whiskey theme going so I am glad to join in.

Good to hear my excavations in the archives haven't been in vain (if you haven't already noticed, I did some digging in the wayback archives and resurrected something like 80-100-odd SSMIH playlists - sadly not the George Formby one though! If couldn't find anything the first time you looked, you might just find something now)!!

yes indeed, people, there are lots of great new songs on the companion thread, big thanks to redpaul, i found an absolute gem to rock out and shout to!!

What happened last night? It's a bit of a blur. Sorry to take up so much of the thread with my own vids but I couldn't help it. Too many songs stuck in my head! Had to get 'em out. Here's the latest batch of comments. Keep them coming folks, I'm having a blast hearing what you all dig up!
And are there some new seasonistas this week? New to me anyway. In any case, welcome!

ukuleledaddy - Crooked Path

TCK - Devil Won’t Remember My Name
So the great thing about the songs stuck in my head? I had never heard of Star Anna before you posted these shows. See how that works? Dang, this is good mate. What show is this from? It is good!

Harry122 - Dinosaurs
Hell yes Randy! TCK turned me onto Chris Murray a while ago. Thanks for joining the party tonight! Another great science related song, not to mention the fun vid. Thanks Randy!

ukuleledaddy - Go Go Power

TCK & TCW - Just Can’t Get Enough
This is super good you guys. Nothing better than couples skate. We will party till dawn another time. Love you guys and LOVE that you did this tune. So damn good.

ukuleledaddy - Valerie

thesillydave - No Muss, No Fuss, No Bother
Haha! This is great Dave! Fun tune. I love the little scat bit there. This is right up your alley.Thanks for making the party!

thesillydave - Monkey Toe’d Gal Of Mine
Lol! This must be from one of TCK's shows. New to me. Monkey toes, hillarious! And we get more scat from Silly Dave! Excellent!

wee_ginga_yin - Valerie
That cigar box is a beaut! I really like the strum/pick approach here. Very nice. And the cameo of Val! Love it.

stanat20 - I’m Putting All My Eggs In One Basket
From TCK's Bob Wills show. Great to have this included here. First time I ever heard this song it was done by Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald, and your version is more akin to that one, which is lovely. Thanks for this!

cua94 - Whiskey In The Jar
Alright, I figured this tune would show up and you brought it! Excellent. This song has appeared on the radio show numerous times and by numerous artists. Classic. I could never play it myself, I get tongue tied. Well done!

Wrong 'Em Boyo

What particularly impresses me, beside the quality of the music on the SSIMH playlists, is how rarely a song is repeated - and when you consider it's been running for 10 years (520 weeks with an average of 20 songs a show), that's quite an acomplishment. This one, however, is a song that, unusually, has appeared twice in the playlists (ROCKSTEADY VOL. ONE May 13, 2008 & Harmony Sounds the Third March 26, 2009), the Rulers' take on "Stagger Lee" - "Wrong 'Em Boyo", famously covered by the Clash on "London Calling", even though theirs is a very different (much faster), & substantially re-written, version.

Much as I love the tune, I did have difficulties with this one. Firstly, it required a fair bit of research as tabs for the original are nowhere to be found on the wonderweb, so I had to transcribe all the lyrics and obtain the chords myself. Second, the two shows that "Wrong 'Em Boyo" appeared on SSIMH were dedicated to rocksteady, and at 95 BPM, the Rulers certainly played it at a rocksteady tempo - but it sure sounds more like slow ska than rocksteady; Trojan themselves include it in their SKA, not in their Rocksteady box set. Although I tried to keep to the original, I couldn't help playing it more at the 147 BPM of the Clash's ska version - and I'm not sure I really managed to keep either a ska or a rocksteady beat going. But hey, I'm glad to have got it researched and ready before the spindryer gave me my trousers back! :-o

17 more songs added to the available playlist folks...which at this point is staggering anyway, even to me. I did play some fun ones though...something for everyone, and I got to riff on Sean's show, which is sometimes hard to do because he has a knack for finding an hours worth of music about his light saber collection. Cheers
LOVE?

That's a show I want to hear!

Greetings,

From one of the older sets in your links, I found this song. I did a bit of a pantomime to go with it. Yes, I have gone nuts. But I do like the old phone and finally found a use for it! OMG I look like a stalker in this vid. It is hysterical.

Last edited:

It sort of just uses the standard pop chord progression of IV-V-I-vi, except that you play a ii7 instead of a IV. At least, that's how I hear it.

This was a real challenge for me to play, and especially to try to sing.

Last edited:
What particularly impresses me, beside the quality of the music on the SSIMH playlists, is how rarely a song is repeated - and when you consider it's been running for 10 years (520 weeks with an average of 20 songs a show), that's quite an acomplishment. This one, however, is a song that, unusually, has appeared twice in the playlists (ROCKSTEADY VOL. ONE May 13, 2008 & Harmony Sounds the Third March 26, 2009), the Rulers' take on "Stagger Lee" - "Wrong 'Em Boyo", famously covered by the Clash on "London Calling", even though theirs is a very different (much faster), & substantially re-written, version.

Much as I love the tune, I did have difficulties with this one. Firstly, it required a fair bit of research as tabs for the original are nowhere to be found on the wonderweb, so I had to transcribe all the lyrics and obtain the chords myself. Second, the two shows that "Wrong 'Em Boyo" appeared on SSIMH were dedicated to rocksteady, and at 95 BPM, the Rulers certainly played it at a rocksteady tempo - but it sure sounds more like slow ska than rocksteady; Trojan themselves include it in their SKA, not in their Rocksteady box set. Although I tried to keep to the original, I couldn't help playing it more at the 147 BPM of the Clash's ska version - and I'm not sure I really managed to keep either a ska or a rocksteady beat going. But hey, I'm glad to have got it researched and ready before the spindryer gave me my trousers back! :-o

I wish I had watched the video before I read your last line.

Top Bottom