Season 274 - The Songs Stuck In My Head

It seems that I am now the one who is woefully under-supervised. No worries...I'm gonna Whip Them neighbors with my sound (I cannot believe I have never played this in a season), time for some good old Skinhead Reggae. The Pioneers. Amalgamated 1968, Blue Cat Imprint. I may play all of them. These songs are why this show started- nothing early reggae for the soul.

Another fantastic batch of tunes today!! Thanks so much folks. Noe from me today, you're welcome.
If I've left anyone off the playlist please let me know. And keep these vids coming. Gonna be a busy weekend with my youngest's birthday, but I'm looking forward to this week's homestretch.

redpaul1 - Wrong ‘em Bolo
For a song that's appeared twice on the show it's new to me. I can't believe you got your hands on all those playlists. That is simply amazing!! Thanks Paul. Looks like you're having some fun with this tune! And it's a good one. I'll have to check out the original. Thanks for turning me onto it!

Ginas uke - Beechwood 4-5789
This video is hilarious! I love it. And a great tune to boot. TCK and I played this tune on the only show we ever did together, Hitsville USA. Thanks for this!

AlanDP - Put Me In Jail
YES!! I'm so, so glad you did this one. A real favorite of mine. Thank you so much. I tried to get this one down but it just wasn't working for me. I played this tune on a latin influenced show called Oh That's Nice. I have thought about maybe doing an all San Antonio chicano show. I really like your take on this. Nice and sweet.

Recovering Bassist - Freight Train Blues
Great tune. I love your intro and solo bits. It is a hard one to sing. I could never do it. I think this sounds wonderful!

Jazzbanjorex - Hobo’s Lullaby
I've always loved this song. You've got the whole hobo thing going on here, except your clothes are too clean. Really nicely done Rex.

AlanDP - Stoned Love
This was incredibly well done Alan. It's nice to hear this on the uke, bare bones. No wall of sound. I really enjoyed this a lot.

Jazzbanjorex - Hobo Bill’s Last Ride
I'm loving these hobo songs. This one is so sad and tragic. Paints quite a picture. Very nice.

AlanDP - Train Whistle Blues
More yodeling! Excellent. There should be a yodeling season. Great tune and a fantastic cover. Dramatic pause. LOL

TCK - Whip Them
Selecta! This is something special right here. Easy to see that you love this music. Dang, I might have to do Long Shot. I'm sure I played that tune on one of those shows. So glad you brought this mate.

Jazzbanjorex - Faded Love
This is absolutely lovely Rex. Nice to have that shot of your dad in the background. I love this. Nice touch adding the harmonica. Your heart shines in this vid.

Jazzbanjorex - Dancing In The Moonlight
You're on fire tonight Rex! I do love Thin Lizzy. Nice cover here. Must be from one of TCK's shows, though I can't think of which one. GoPro, don't stop!

From Paul's extended list...Say it With version 2008

This whole Season for me has been doing songs I've always liked, but never have tried to play before. A few I might keep in my regular rotation, this being one.

Somewhere in those extra lists that Paul excavated from the archives, I spotted this old favourite.
My laptop has been misbehaving today, with stuttering & freezing videos (I blame North Korean hackers), so I lost count of the takes and the swearing. Just as I was about to throw it all away, this one was mostly keep-able, but apologies for the pops & crackles in the sound.

Last edited:
I found a show of gospel songs! I pitched this down to C so I would have a shot at hitting the alto notes in the right octave. Four-part harmony in the chorus. Unfortunately, I flubbed the take that also had a tree frog chirping. Yesterday's wind finally died down and it's really cloudy so I was able to get halfway decent sound and picture. I did comb my hair before this, but the humidity outside is about 150% and as soon as I stepped outside my hair just went poof.

Last edited:
It seems kinda quiet here tonight, so here's one. When I was in high school band, we had a marching band version of this that we played quite a lot. However, unlike some other songs that we played to death (e.g. Proud Mary), I never got tired of it. It wasn't until later that I heard real jazz versions of it, some with lyrics! This is another jazz piece that was originally written as an instrumental, and then later another person wrote some lyrics for it. The Tommy Hunter version is truly great. The Nina Simone version will send chills up your spine if you have any soul at all. But then, I guess that's pretty much true for all of her songs.

Looks like we're crawling towards the finish line for 274. Some really wonderful tunes turned in today. Thank you so much. I'm looking forward to kicking up my heels over at 275.

Rusty - Pass The Dutchie
What a treat this is! All you need are some dreads and you're all set. This is from one of TCK's shows, not sure which one. I remember hearing this tune when I was a kid and had no idea what reggae was, but I absolutely loved it. Thanks so much for bringing this Rusty! I really enjoyed it.

Recovering Bassist - Mohair Sam
Oh yes! A tune from one of the garage band shows. Excellent!! Great vocals on this one. Thanks for bringing it.

YorkSteve - Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
Yeah! Dave an entire Haggard show. Good stuff, and terrific cover here. Really nice playing, love that run down. Superb cover all around.

AlanDP - Never Grow Old
Another beauty of a song from Dave's old archives. The vocal overdubs put this over the top. This is excellent!

xommen - The Next Storm
Another Frank Turner tune, YAY! Such well written songs. And this is brilliant. Great cover here Wim.

AlanDP - The Work Song
Wow! This is great. I love the Tommy Hunt version. I hate to say it but I don't think I've ever heard the Nina Simone tune. Gotta look that up. Very well done here Alan.

Singing the Blues (not really) for Season 274
Albums were 2 or 3 dollars each when I was a teen, so we didn't have much outside of Seeger, Dylan, Baez, and the Kingston Trio, but we did have one Marty Robbins, and I was glad to see one of his recordings on the 10/24/07 show, "More Country Classics." "Singing the Blues" was not on it, but El Paso was, so I'll always like Marty.

Hey Folks
sorry I’ve been scarce around these parts, as I’ve not posted in two seasons. I have so much going on, with a major remodel of my studio and various other responsibilities, and it’s been hard to find the time to record and participate in the Seasons. With my studio in disarray, I have limited resources and can’t really do my usual production techniques. I was contemplating missing this season as well, but just ended up having to share this one with you, and especially with the Cloverdale Kid, who mentioned that this is his favorite train song when he played it on his "Waiting to Derail" show from December 2016. Here’s Blue Oyster Cult’s “Hot Rails to Hell”, played on concert ukulele with singing.

I had recorded this earlier in the week, and then decided not to use it and deleted it, but when I checked in today there were only two new songs since last night, so I undeleted it and here it is.

I'm not a statistician. But as a statistics teacher I've sure read a lot about statistics. And I think this song from Todd Snider might need to be added to my course syllabus pronto.

Thanks for a fun one, Sean!

We're just about at the end of the line here for 274. Thanks so much to those of you have participated. It really meant a lot to me.
Today was my youngest's birthday and I'm exhausted. Let me drop these comments here as I bid you adieu for now. I'll wrap things up properly in a day or two.

dickadcock - Singing The Blues
Well alright! This is from one of TCK's older shows I believe. I really like your voice a lot, nice and mellow. Very nice cover. And also I love your shirt.

UkeFoote - Hot Rails To Hell
Brian, I'm so glad you made it! Excellent video here, and a great choice. Wonderful strumming. I can't go that fast for sure! And in the future if you find yourself unable to record with your usual setup, I find a cell phone and a car are all you need!

AlanDP - I Am Seeing UFOs
Well I'm sure glad you undeleted this. I love this song and it's great to have it included here. Nicely done. I'm wondering if this is a record for you or am I just paying closer attention because I'm hosting. You've entered a bunch of vids, and I'm really grateful you have. You've brought some wonderful songs. Thanks so much.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters - Statistician’s Blues
YAY! Todd Snider has been a favorite of mine for a long time now. His songs are peppered throughout the shows. This is perfect for you in so many ways. I love your performance here. Thanks a lot Ralf!

I wish I had watched the video before I read your last line.
Oops - TMI, eh? :uhoh:

From Paul's extended list...Say it With version 2008

Musical Youth in 1982 - & what's that young man in the hat got there? Could it be?? It is!!! :)

p04s27n8.jpg

I am really terrible at having friends. I have my ups and downs, and for most folks that has always been enough to cut bait. I have met two people in my life who just deal with those times when I am a jerk and figure tomorrow will be better. I married one of them.
The other I play songs with.
Thank you my friend for taking what we do to the rest of these folks. I had so much fun seeing our songs being played this week...you cannot imagine. I think you definitely pushed some people into a place where they just played...and not for comforts sake. What a great tribute this has been to The Songs Stuck In My Head. I hope to play songs back and forth for another decade.
Thank you people for playing these songs- every one means so much to me, and thank you Sean for hosting this week...and being my friend even when I am not so fun to be friends with.
This week made me very happy. Bless up ukulele gang.

I am really terrible at having friends. I have my ups and downs, and for most folks that has always been enough to cut bait. I have met two people in my life who just deal with those times when I am a jerk and figure tomorrow will be better. I married one of them.
The other I play songs with.
Thank you my friend for taking what we do to the rest of these folks. I had so much fun seeing our songs being played this week...you cannot imagine. I think you definitely pushed some people into a place where they just played...and not for comforts sake. What a great tribute this has been to The Songs Stuck In My Head. I hope to play songs back and forth for another decade.
Thank you people for playing these songs- every one means so much to me, and thank you Sean for hosting this week...and being my friend even when I am not so fun to be friends with.
This week made me very happy. Bless up ukulele gang.

Right in the feels TCK. And thank you for this crazy radio show we do. It keeps my head on straight, gives me something to look forward to and allows me to share songs with people I care deeply for. Not everyone gets it (my wife thinks that every reggae songs sounds exactly the same), but we get it. It's very much like the seasons here in the sense that we seasonistas are a group of folks from different walks of life, who collectively come together to share something that we love which not everybody gets. Thank you all for getting it.

Top Bottom