Season 274 - The Songs Stuck In My Head

Had to play this with dad tonight, as it is the song he played every Sunday of my childhood. We both found that our memories of hontonplay it had faded...so I ended up whistling it while he comped (was supposed to be the other way around) and we junked the ending a few too many times. Forgive us, our patience wore thin and we resigned to post it warts and all.
Steel Guitar Rag, dragged through Cloverdale.
For extra flavor.
I have played this on 20 shows, including the first one I ever did.

Oh? Are we playing songs? Excellent. You know how baseball players have "walk-up music?" No you don't...but the Mariachi El Bronx version of this song has become my walk up music not for batting opportunities, but for science class. The kids seems to appreciate it.
Anyway- you are always asking for the bloopers. There is a doozy here Sean. A DOOZY.

Still fun.

Despite all the great renditions of some fantastic songs, I feel like the punk facet of these playlists is under represented so far. So here's one from "The eighties, according to the TCK", from January 17th if this year.

Messy one take, just like it should be.

Your comments are quite valid Geoff but you are an accomplished player.For new ukulele players or dulcimer platers of either stripe, banjo pickers and mandolinists, (although I don't know why in the last two cases). there is a lot of reticence here. The easiest and most flexible way on uke IMHO is to just play baritone with A patterned chords.

On a 'standard' tuned uke I reckon Am is the ideal key to play blues in because you've the pentatonic scale all laid out nicely for you in open position for some easy solos too. Even better in Low-G.

In other news... got an empty flat this evening. Figure it's a good time learn a song I've never heard before.... open to suggestions.

In other news... got an empty flat this evening. Figure it's a good time learn a song I've never heard before.... open to suggestions.

Excellent! How about Bap Kennedy's cover of the Johnny Thunders song Born To Lose? Or Drug Train by The Monsters?

Look at the time! I have to hit the sack. I was able to record a couple of songs and join the party tonight. I actually recorded about five tunes but my camera gave out about half way through most of them. For the best I suppose. In any case, I've had a great time going through these vids you have all supplied today. Just wonderful stuff!

wee_ginga_yin - Drunk On The Blood Of Christ
This is about as far from the original as I can imagine, and I love it. Gives the song a completely different feeling. These images also lend themselves to your approach, which I can't quite put into words. Foreboding perhaps? In any case, this is wonderful. And I love the sharp ending.

Recovering Bassist - Dancing With Myself
I love Billy Idol too, and this has long been one of my favorites! This is from TCK's 80s show. I do like what you've done with this tune. Always fun to hear songs done in a totally different way. And FYI, it sounds like there's a lit fuse in your house. Should I call someone?

Tootler - Lakes Of Ponchartrain
I was looking at doing this one as well. From TCK's Next Time Take The Train show. A wonderful song, and I can see why TCK put this on your plate. Right in your wheelhouse. I greatly appreciate the background you provided about its possible origins. This was a joy to listen to, thank you.

Recovering Bassist - Molly and Tenbrooks
Lol, I say you're keeping the good Bill Monroe going with this tune. Excellent choice. I love the solo run you got going on there. Fun tune to play it looks like, feel like kicking up my heels!

IamNoMan - Boxcar Blues
It's a different tune here than the one played on the train show by Hank Spurling, but a good one none the less. I really enjoyed reading your little bio of Boxcar Willie!

redpaul1 - I Still Believe
Top turtle! Such a fantastic song. I love the thought that Frank Turner has your PUKES shirt. That's fantastic. Thanks for bringing this one Paul. This really had to be here this week.

Gary Country - I Still Miss Someone
Some Johnny Cash goodness right here, and one of my favorites. That whole show TCK did is so darn good. I really enjoyed this Gary. Thanks.

Gary Country - I Got Stripes
More JC! Woo hoo! You know I only first heard this song on that JC show. It's a great one. This tune suits you. Well done.

Gary Country - Folsom Prison Blues
Well I can't do that either! Alright, a third tune from the CASH show! Got a good groove going on Gary, and you hit those low notes too. Good stuff.

hendulele - Wabash Cannonball
Such a classic tune. From TCK's train show. I'm also surprised this hasn't showed up until today. Nice work there Rick.

TCK (and The Cloverdale Dad) - Steel Guitar Rag
Yes! Doug had to be a part of this week. So glad you both did this. Sounding just great guys. Warts in your song? Hell, just join the party. And this is fab. Thanks guys.

ukulele daddy - Drunken Lazy Bastard

TCK - I Would Die 4 U
I was wondering when we'd get Melissa in the picture! Hey Mel. Hahaha, go for w/o the mariachi band! I love that cover so much, and this rockin'. LOL, big breath. Just keep on chugging. That's the way we roll. Love this mate. Thanks.

Desert Pavement - Bikeage
You're right about the punk not being represented as much yet. Thanks for seeing to that. Yeah that 80s show TCK did was wild. Be sure to listen to it right up till the very end! I'm so glad you did this. Let's have more punk!

ukuleledaddy - Boom Shaka Laka

I don't remember a time when I didn't like reggae :D. I remember this song when it was in the UK charts. I found out it was back in 1972! I won't tell you my age but it was somewhere in between 9 and 11 years old. I loved it then and I love it now. From the Devil and All His Sinners Pt 2 show.

Yesterday on the way home from work I was rear-ended by a Ford F150 that was doing about 60-70 mph. I had just started moving at a stoplight that had just turned green and was only going about 10 mph or so. So my car is in the shop. I was not seriously injured, but I'm sore all over and psychologically rattled. I took today off work and I thought I'd try to do a few songs and collect myself. The driver of the Ford wasn't hurt, either, but I think his truck will be totaled. It was really messed up.

Yesterday on the way home from work I was rear-ended by a Ford F150 that was doing about 60-70 mph. I had just started moving at a stoplight that had just turned green and was only going about 10 mph or so. So my car is in the shop. I was not seriously injured, but I'm sore all over and psychologically rattled. I took today off work and I thought I'd try to do a few songs and collect myself. The driver of the Ford wasn't hurt, either, but I think his truck will be totaled. It was really messed up.

Sorry to hear about the wreck. I'm sure glad you weren't injured!

Ouch! Glad the humans are both OK, and it's only metal that was seriously damaged.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I found the playlists for a couple more older shows which I've listed on the companion thread. The two extra shows are called I'll Be In The Garage pt 2 and Lord If You're A Woman. Shows are listed alphabetically so should be easy to find. More songs to chose from!

I was looking through the list and realized I had done "Put Me in Jail" by Sunny & the Sunglows for a previous season, after hearing it on the show. I also played it for the nursing home band at a sort of jam session we had one night at a local restaurant. They liked it.

I was looking through the list and realized I had done "Put Me in Jail" by Sunny & the Sunglows for a previous season, after hearing it on the show. I also played it for the nursing home band at a sort of jam session we had one night at a local restaurant. They liked it.

You're kidding! I have wanted to play that tune for a long time and I finally resolved only an hour ago to sit down to work out the chords for that song because I was thinking of playing it! I remember the first time I ever heard that song I sent it right away to Dave and said "you have to hear this". I knew I wanted to someday get it into a show, and that one you found it on, Oh That's Nice, has always been one of my favorites. I'll have to look for that video of yours, but if you'd like to do it again for this week I'd love to hear it.

Lots of great music to choose from this week. I was intrigued by song title "Rabbits Don't Ever Get Married" (from the show about Hank Penny's songs on February 23). There were more reasons why rabbits don't get married, but better not to torture you with longer version. :cool:

Hi Sean! A bit late this week ... connectivity issues here in Deepest France! I found this song by "Blondie" and decided to do it in the "all French" version because it sounded more interesting ... I still don't really understand the lyrics, though, and it was purportedly written about a cat!

Would have liked to do a few more songs this week but we are away from home with slow internet.
Haven't even been able to view vids due to buffering.
Looks like folks are having fun though Sean.

Would have liked to do a few more songs this week but we are away from home with slow internet.

Exactly my problem, Brian ... only i don't have to go away from home to have slow internet; I have a backlog of vids. to watch as I, too, have been suffering from buffering. Hoping I might be able to catch up a bit now!

I hope you're having a wonderful time. I was just thinking about you and wondering if you'd get a few more in this week. Glad we got you in the beginning. My hope is that, in a few more months when there are a new batch of radio shows, TCK will do a similar week and put up a bunch of his old playlists.

Top Bottom