Help with a ukulele upgrade

biggoomba

Reaction score
I have been playing for about a year and I am thinking about upgrading to a new Uke and am looking for some advice.

I started playing on a concert sized Oscar schmidt OU2LH and I liked it but always felt it was a little dull sounding. I liked it though but decided I wanted to try a tenor. Wasn't serious enough to spend much so I bought a Caramel mahogany tenor with electronics. I was excited to get it - when it showed I really liked the look. Then I played it - I hated the sound - couldn't stand it. Really dissapointed. It sounded twangy - banjo-ish to me. I didn't like the sound and so I didn't play it much. I liked the size though so I kept looking.

Eventually I bought a Kala KA-PWT and have loved it. I have played it almost every day since I bought it. I take it to work with me - take it camping - everywhere.

Lately - I have been thinking maybe it's time to try something new. Anyway - I dropped by the store for some new strings and started looking at their ukes.

I found one that I loved - it was fantastic looking. It was set up and stung right handed so it was hard for me to really play it very well. I can do ok playing a right handed Uke left handed but can't get a good feel of the sound.

I am thinking I want to buy it. It's a Kala KA-FMTG. The tag says it's $280 marked down from $407.99. Spruce tøp and it sounds really nice.

Before I do the deed I thought I would ask about it. How much of an upgrade would this ukulele be over my KA-PWT. I like it but that's not enough to push me over the edge to buy it. What should I expect performance wise between my old one and this one?

Would this be a worth while upgrade or should I save up for a while and get something nicer? I wouldn't mind a Koa one.

I am not even sure if I should by another Kala or look into a different brand.

Would this be a good upgrade or will it be a small step-up in quality?

This is opinion based, but when I was newish I got a few ukes around the $200-300 range and I wish instead I would have saved up and got a uke of better quality. Now I have 5 ukes laying around that all seem the same quality basically. If I could go back I would have stuck with my Luna for a year then saved about $600-$1000 to get a Pono or a K Brand.

From the KA-PWT to the KA-FMTG you are stepping up to a solid spruce top which I, and likely many others, will tell you is a worthwhile upgrade. You are in a price range where many options begin to open up to you, and you mentioned maybe even waiting to save for something higher up the ladder. You would next be looking at models with all-solid wood (top, back and sides), beyond the solid-top only. But I am of the opinion you have to play and compare some models as the build can have as much effect on tone as the back and side woods.

From personal experience, I will say your focus on Kala gives you a nice selection of models with great features at very competitive prices. But you also mentioned you may consider koa, so this opens up a wider variety of choices so you'll have to invest some time playing and listening to decide exactly which tonewood combination you want, then make a list of models that meet that criteria in your price range and start checking them off one at a time until you arrive at the model you want the most. Not a bad task to have to undertake. Have fun and good luck!

In case you haven't been to HMS' website yet, I think the KA-FMTG you mentioned sounds great!

https://vimeo.com/117250942

Last edited:
This is opinion based, but when I was newish I got a few ukes around the $200-300 range and I wish instead I would have saved up and got a uke of better quality. Now I have 5 ukes laying around that all seem the same quality basically. If I could go back I would have stuck with my Luna for a year then saved about $600-$1000 to get a Pono or a K Brand.

That's kind of what I am wondering about right now. I see all these different varieties of ukuleles from Kala (90% of the ukuleles there are Kala), They all look fundamentally like the same thing with subtle differences. I'm not convinced that buying the one that I like is really an upgrade. It has nicer materials and I'm sure the spruce top produce some difference in sound. The contour of the back is different. My KA-Pwt isn't contoured on the back like this one is.

That's kind of what I am wondering about right now. I see all these different varieties of ukuleles from Kala (90% of the ukuleles there are Kala), They all look fundamentally like the same thing with subtle differences. I'm not convinced that buying the one that I like is really an upgrade. It has nicer materials and I'm sure the spruce top produce some difference in sound. The contour of the back is different. My KA-Pwt isn't contoured on the back like this one is.

Will you foresee only needing/wanting one Uke? If so, it makes sense to wait and save and spend that time seeking out the one that best suits what you want. Some people have ukes they only keep at home, and others that they use for gigs or jams outside of the house and wouldn't want to take an expensive uke with them for that purpose for risk of damage, loss, etc... Again it's defining your needs and expectations. But I would agree it would make the best financial sense to just to be able to buy one uke and stop there if you could be content having one uke for all your ukulele playing needs.

Herein lies the problem: if no one near you carries anything other than ukuleles from one or two conpanies, you just can't hear the difference. Even trying someone else's ukulele at a jam isn't enough--for a major purpose, you should get time to soak in the differences.

And then add the subjective nature of ukuleles...I adore my Opio, but in the recent thread there are plenty of people who don't like that instrument or manufacturer at all.

Unless you lived near Mim, Uke Republic, and The Ukulele Site, you likely have 3 or 4 brands to choose from at most, and sound samples, while helpful, cannot fully help you know whether you will like a ukulele or not.

From my limited experience, just over a year, I have three suggestions.

1) If you can play as many makes and models that are available. If a dealer won't let you play (I have never seen this), move on.

2) For any ukulele, a set-up helps. Most shops do not do this--and I question the legitimacy of what some
Places charge for this and what is actually done. This is the selling point of the aforementioned Mim, Uke Republic, and The Ukulele Site.

3) Remembet that the ukulele is a personal investment, not a financial investment. If you buy new, plan to lose 40% if you choose to sell. Likewise, the used market is a better initial investment for many players--many like new ukuleles on the market at 60% of the store price. So if you can wait until you see what you want used--that is better.

Also...very sorry the Caramel didn't work out for you. At least you have dry kindling to start a fire!

Tale of the tape:
https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-pwt
https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-fmtg

So you'll need to spend roughly $300—unless that initial price includes tax—for the "upgrade" of a solid top and contoured back? I think I'd hold on to the money… but I've only heard online sound samples, whereas you've compared them in RL, which can make a huge difference. Best of luck whatever you decide.

I went in to the store - brought mine in because I wanted to hear them side by side. There is a noticeable difference in sound - it sounds a less flat than mine. Hard for me to describe - there is more 'fullness' in the sound if that makes sense. It certainly sounds different - in a good way.

This is probably the first time I've ever sat down and played several different ukuleles. Kala has a bunch ukuleles in that 250 to 350 price range and they all have a core shape that's exactly the same. One might have like a scallop out of the side or something like that. I've played them all and compared them with mine.

All the ones that I played only two had what I would consider a noticeable difference in the sound than my KA-PMT. One was a solid mahogany for 350 - it really seemed to have a bigger sound. The other one that sounded different is this one with the solid Spruce top.

So I'm sitting there playing away trying to figure out if I really want to buy ukulele, The sales person walks back by and says "oh by the way I forgot to mention there's an extra 10% off because it's Mother's Day "

And they had one in back so I didn't have to take the floor model home.

Just finished putting the new strings on and started breaking them in.

It really sounds good. A few surprising things. As I move up the fret board on my KA-PWT, the sound would muddy a bit. The new one does not do that. In fact, 7th fret on the A string is startlingly loud and defined - it makes a sound is almost uncomfortably loud especially if I have the sound hole turned towards me. Everything higher (closer to the body) is much more defined and sound out louder.

I seems like can feel the vibrations more.

Sloppy playing is much more noticeable. When I miss a chord little on my old one, it's not as apparent. On the new one - sloppy playing is much more obvious - almost painfully so.

Hammer ons seem easier to hear and are easy to do. I don't feel like I have smash my finger down as fast or as hard to get a nice defined change.

I have several Caramels and find that the Aquillas they come with are harsh sounding. Put some Fluorocarbons, D'Addario, Worth, Fremont, Martin on it and see how much it changes.

If you really want an upgrade, save some money and buy one "GOOD" uke. Play it for a while, 4-6 months and see how much your taste changes. It will make you change your playing style too as a "GOOD" uke will be more responsive and clearer that a Caramel or even a inexpensive Kala.

A solid top is a noticeable upgrade, unless it's a Kiwaya laminate.

Getting a $1000+ ukulele may change how you approach it. When I got my first expensive instrument, I was a little intimidated by it and didn't take it out of the case often. It took me about 18 months until I lost the fear of dinging and scratching it. :) I often wondered if I'd not overall have been happier with just one mid-range instrument instead of exploring more expensive ukes, because the real bottleneck is my skill, not the instrument. So I kind of agree that one $300 ukulele is enough. While there will be noticeable differences between different models and manufacturers, you'll probably just keep lusting after something in the $1000-1500 range, and every $300 purchase will extend the time until you can afford one of those. It's either that or you decide you are happy with what you have.

I'll say that I don't necessarily believe that a $1000+ ukulele is always better than a $300 one, but maybe that is just wishful thinking as my two more expensive ukes are better than cheaper ones I have played (but also better than a more expensive tenor I briefly had, so maybe the Barron River is just an outstanding uke).

Nothing wrong with Kalas, but I would save up and get a K brand if you can. Best route would be to find a used one from the marketplace. Everyone has their preferences, but for me, KoAlohas are a very good bang for the buck and you definitely won't have to worry about a dull or flat sound. Easy to play, good resale.

John

Kala is making some nice ukes. There's a cedar-topped ziricote that theukulelesite has an exclusive on that is under $300:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-ztp-ctg-solid-cedar-top-ziricote-tenor-slothead.html

For another $100, you can get the cutaway version with electronics if you have any interest in plugging in.

There's plenty of time to move upper market and spend more on a uke. But it's quite prudent to explore with the mid-prices ukes to get a sense of what you like and don't like before you start to move to more expensive ukes.

I noted that you didn't like the chimey sound from your original uke, I suggest you try some flourocarbon strings on it - & it sounded as if the action was too high, that can be altered fairly easily, & then you will have a backup laminate uke that you will like.

Solid top ukes make a big difference to the sound tone that you hear, as do solid body ukes.

I love the sound tone from my cedar topped baritone, but I also like the spruce topped cheaper one as well.

But my most used, at the moment, are my solid mahogany bodied long neck ukes. :)

I am perfectly happy with the tonal sound from my £200 to £300 ukes, & am not even considering an expensive uke - other than maybe a steel string electric RISA. ;)

You have gotten a lot of good advice. The fact the you were able to sit down with different ukes and "hear" the difference in sound that the all solid mahogany tenor makes is key. I like Eddies advice about exploring the mid price range ukes at the moment, either solid top or all solid. Then as your skill improves along with your ablity to discern tonal differences you can make the leap to the $1000 range.

Last edited:
Congrat's on your purchase and stumbling into a discount too! Try some Living Waters on that baby!

Kala is making some nice ukes. There's a cedar-topped ziricote that theukulelesite has an exclusive on that is under $300:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-ztp-ctg-solid-cedar-top-ziricote-tenor-slothead.html

For another $100, you can get the cutaway version with electronics if you have any interest in plugging in.

There's plenty of time to move upper market and spend more on a uke. But it's quite prudent to explore with the mid-prices ukes to get a sense of what you like and don't like before you start to move to more expensive ukes.

That is an awesome find, Eddie! I love that it is a Ukulele Site custom that does something more with that Ziricote laminate than the Ziricote models (which I love, love, love the look of, but am unimpressed with sound). But...$275 for a slothead with a solid top--and of course, set up correctly.

Again, nice find!

I did buy it and have been playing it non-stop since I bought it. I am pleased with it. Its a good looking and good sounding uke. I might try different strings. If I dont hit the string right next to the fret, I get some buzz. When I re-strung it left-handed, all I had was some regular 'New Nylgut' strings on hand. Not sure what I am going to get to replace the Nylgut strings. I dont like the thin feeling of fluorocarbon - the thin strings.

Been using this purchase as a bit of a motivator to try some more difficult songs. Been stuck in a rut playing 101 songs that never include chords other than G, C, F, A, Am. I am still a beginner - been playing since last August. Been taking it with me to work and then heading down to the park during lunch to practice for 30-40 minutes. Good way to de-stress a bit and get some practice.

Not sure if you're still looking, or if anyone else reading this thread is in the same boat, but the cedar top kala's are very hard to beat until you get into ALOT more money.

HMS is discounting the the comfort edge cedar tops at $345/$362 for the standard/cutaway with electronics. Those have solid rosewood bodies which should be a step up from the laminate body. I have a older laminate body/cedar top cutaway, and it is still good. If I didn't, I'd be ordering one of those because thats like half off retail, which is probably near cost for them. Likely that means those models will be replaced very soon, but they should still be good value, and solid players.

Just thought I'd put that out there, because I think the comfort edge ones with the solid body/electronics would be a very good step up after a laminate.

Top Bottom